Dimensions are used to track departments, cost/profit/investment centers, or projects within a company. For example, you may have several cost centers like Research and Development, Customer Service, and Marketing that you want to track. Or, you may want to track several projects over a specific time period.
Dimensions are separated into levels:
- 0 - No Levels: Suitable for entrepreneurs or companies not interested in this feature.
- 1(default) - One Level: For companies who only need to track one type of dimension. Useful if you want to track projects or departments only.
- 2 - Two Levels: For companies who need to track more than one type of dimension, like both projects and cost centers.
- Decide on how many levels you require for your company then access Company Setup under the Setup tab. By default, only one level is set.
- Add a new dimension. Remember to setup the dimension under the correct level.
- Set the time-frame for which the dimension should be active.
- Assign the dimension as default for Items you want to use in sales/purchase documents.
Tips and Tricks
Dates in a dimension are only for information purposes. Close a dimension if you want to stop allocating documents against it.