Topic: Journal Entry Number (#) Changes after Editing in 2.4 Version!

We had the old version of frontaccounting 2.3. We are using it for almost more than a year without any major problem.

For the new year, we installed the newer version 2.4.2 and we started using it. We are glad for the updates to increase control and also the added search option.

The only problem we are currently facing with the new version is the Journal Voucher Number, which is auto generated after the user post the journal. The issue is that is journal number will change each time you perform an edit on a voucher. which is not logical. Because after you post a new journal entry, company documents is filed according to this reference. Sometimes we need to edit this journal for some mistakes from the accountant. The problem is Frontaccounting will give that journal voucher a new number after it being edited! Which is messing our document filing.

Noting that this was not the case in the older version 2.3.

Please let us know if this issue can be solved in the new version! As we are glad from all the updates on 2.4, and not willing to go back to 2.3.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Journal Entry Number (#) Changes after Editing in 2.4 Version!

Upgrade to FA 2.4.3+ latest codebase along with the fix for backups and see if the same issue remains. This issue was fixed in a commit on 2017-10-10 which was way after FA v2.4.2 was released but a month before FA 2.4.3 came out.

Hi I have downloaded directly from the link FA 2.4.3+ above and tried it but still when ever I modify Journal Transaction it will automatically get new number after I press process transaction.
In the last version Journal Transaction # will remain intact even if you modify it 100 times.
Please guide me how to resolve this issue in the new version as we use this transaction number for our filing and references.
Regards,

If you upgraded your FA 2.3.x to FA 2.4.x, the you may be using the old document numbering system.

@joe/@itronics: Is this how it is coded?

apmuthu wrote:

If you upgraded your FA 2.3.x to FA 2.4.x, the you may be using the old document numbering system.

@joe/@itronics: Is this how it is coded?

Thankyou for your prompt reply.
FYI I have installed fresh copy directly from your link as mentioned above. I passed first journal entry so it gets automatically #1. After that immediately I modified it by changing in description only after I press process transaction it gets #2 and #1 transaction will disappear automatically.
In the previous version whenever you modify its transaction # remain intact but in 2.4 FA it gets new latest number which is not correct as in GL transaction # are appearing and when u modify or make some correction it gets new number which is very annoying and confusing at some time.
I hope I made my point more clear. kindly advise to resolve this issue.
thanks

Dear apmuthu
We have tried installing a fresh copy for the version 2.4.2 and also for the version 2.4.3. But still facing the problem of the journal number being changed every time we make any edits for the journal.

When you open the Journal Inquiry the number we are talking about here is the (Trans #) not the (Reference).

After the release of FA 2.4.3, there have been quite a few fixes. Hence use FA 2.4.3+.

@joe: is this possible?

Transaction number is internal database record number, which should not be used directly as reference. For this purpose transaction reference should be used, which is preserved ensuring journal edition. If you want to use simple numbers as journal references, you can use default numbering template (the one with empty prefix) for this purpose.
Janusz

Hence the DB Record Number will change on such editing as the Audit Trail needs to keep track of it.

itronics wrote:

Transaction number is internal database record number, which should not be used directly as reference. For this purpose transaction reference should be used, which is preserved ensuring journal edition. If you want to use simple numbers as journal references, you can use default numbering template (the one with empty prefix) for this purpose.
Janusz

Thank you for your reply. But the software itself uses transaction number as reference while showing transaction in the GL. So when we take print of bank account or Cash account we can see only transaction numbers. Reference number will not appear in GL prints. Is there any way to show reference number in the GL accounts. Please note that in FA 2.3 version when you modify any transaction it’s transaction number never changes and any modification reflects in audit trail as well.

apmuthu wrote:

Hence the DB Record Number will change on such editing as the Audit Trail needs to keep track of it.

Dear apmuthu
In FA2.3 whenever u modify any transaction DB record number will not change at all and in audit trail you can trace the modification as well.
I am just asking if you can help us turning this function off. I mean when we modify it should not get new transaction number or (DB record number) since record is already there only need to correct something

@uurfi: does this happen only to journal entries in FA 2.4?
@joe/@itronics: This needs to be fixed if true.

Yes it changes even you make any changes in bank transaction too..
So please check and if possible send us the patch or code to modify...We would highly appreciate you early action in this regard.

Kind regards.

@joe: @itronics: @apmuthu

p.s. can you advise me how add Reference number field in General Ledger Inquiry. Currently by default it is only showing;

Type    #    Date   Dimension   Person /Item  Debit  Credit   Balance   Memo

The ref number is the # column isn't it?

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

Hello,

The Reference number is not the same as the # number. The # number is an internal number. Please use the Reference number as the official number. If you need an ongoing number, use default numbering template (the one with empty prefix) for this purpose.

I will fix the GL Inquiries to also show the Reference number. And I will look if there are more places that this is needed.

/Joe

Hello @joe:
Thanks a lot it would be great help if you can add reference number column in GL inquiries. it will solve my main concern.

This has now been fixed and committed to 2.4 Repo.

You can download a copy from here:

Download.

/Joe

@joe / @itronics: Do we intend to revert to FA 2.3.x functionality for retaining the same transaction number? Why was it changed in FA 2.4.x?

@uurfi: Open a new topic for each issue.

@apmuthu.

Janusz has explained this in a former post to this topic.

/Joe

@joe: The explanation is okay but any change from FA 2.3 that warranted this in FA 2.4? Just a design decision that may fill up the ID space quickly. Is such a change of transaction number of any real benefit?

apmuthu wrote:

@joe / @itronics: Do we intend to revert to FA 2.3.x functionality for retaining the same transaction number? Why was it changed in FA 2.4.x?

@uurfi: Open a new topic for each issue.

ok got your point .. thank you

joe wrote:

This has now been fixed and committed to 2.4 Repo.

You can download a copy from here:

Download.

/Joe

Thank you so much  it is working fine.

Hello Guys

@itronics (Janusz) and I have been discussing this item this Weekend. There are some complicated sideeffects if changing it back to 2.3.
In the future, we are only going to show the reference numbers in all views and reports (not the built in numbers).
An Access-role will make it possible to see both the built-in number and the reference number.

Janusz will make a post in a while, explaining why he prefers this method.

/Joe