Topic: Groupings or hierarchy of services (items)

How difficult (or easy, depending on your outlook) would it be have some kind of grouping or hierarchy of services (yes, I'm enquiring for a services business).

For example, a customer may subscribe to a number of services each month, for which he is billed collectively under a single account number.

Even better would be a hierarchy of services (ie, service B cannot be sold without service A also being included, etc).

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks
Henry

Re: Groupings or hierarchy of services (items)

Well, you could try a couple of things in the Training Co. Set 'Allow negative sock' in System setup.
Create a new item as Service, but Manufacturing. Don't set up any purchase price for this item.
Create a BOM that could be with several services. And make a workorder for this.
While the purchase price is 0, there will never be created any stock GL items. It could be a way out.
Also know that you can categorize your services, but this is only for statistics.

/Joe

Can we add service items on BOM ?

Thanks

Chaitanya

Yes, no problems.

/Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks. How do we apply cost regarding the service item as Costed BOM does not reflect any price ?
Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Chaitanya

The overhead cost and labour cost can be used in these cases where you have either purchase cost or other costs.

/Joe

Hi Joe,

In that case, I am not clear about what is actual usage/advantage of applying service items on BOM?

Thanks,

Chaitanya

Hello chaitanya,
Frankly speaken, I am not convinced either. The problem is that the purchase has not gone into stock as a service item, but gone directly to COGS from supplier invoice.
The manufacturing is some kind of a cake upon cake development during the years. We really need to redesign it to get it more professional. I hope that we can make some kind of developers talk regarding this.
I guess that most of it works, with some major changes.
Regarding the existing usage of service of bom will only work with additional overhead/labour cost entry.

However, you could also solve it by letting the service item be a purchasable item. Instead of using the existing stock gl (inventory) account you could use another account in the GL for this. You could do me a favor testing how this would work.

Best regards

/Joe

9 (edited by chaitanya 09/12/2010 04:31:46 pm)

Hi Joe,

We really need to redesign it to get it more professional. I hope that we can make some kind of developers talk regarding this.

Agreed !

Meanwhile -
I am doing an attempt to accept the service item itself as BOM with Std Cost.
Also need to do some other costing improvements.

Will send code for your review once completed.

Thanks,

Chaitanya