Topic: Bank Payments and Deposits Entry - Double memo fields

On the Banking and General Ledger / Bank Payments screen, the inline item where you add the Account/ Dimension/ Amount/ Memo/ and add Item has a problem in the Bank recon tab.  I think this line item must be Person/Item and not memo. There is already a memo block at the bottom of the line transactions.

When you do the bank reconciliation and the banking reports, the inline memo item (Person/Item) is not displayed at all within the bank reconciliation. If you have entered something in the separate memo block, that will be displayed in the bank reconciliation.

The same is true in Bank Deposits. Also, two Memo items on the screen that I presume have an error when you do the reconciliation, VAT reports, and Bank Recon Report.

Unfortunately, I cannot upload screenshots here, which would have explained the situation better.

Would be appreciated if this can be fixed in future releases.

Wynand

Re: Bank Payments and Deposits Entry - Double memo fields

@seahawk,

I am running 2.4.14 and  not able to recreate your problem.
You can always upload screen shots (files) by choosing Post a reply.

@joe: kindly provide file attachments permission to @seahawk and also check his issue when time permits.

Regarding the upload facility, this is available to all senior members. Just remember to NOT use the quick reply message, but use the 'Post Reply' link instead.

Joe

5 (edited by seahawk 12/19/2022 10:13:42 am)

Thanks for the feedback.

Do not have the option to attach screenshots.

Go to Accounting and General Ledger/Deposit/ - The entry will open. You have the following three header columns from left to right:

Account Code / Account Description  /Amount / Memo(Fist Memo Entry Field) / Add Item

At the bottom, you have Memo (Second Memo Field).

The same happens on the Bank Payments entry screen.

Rafat, hope it helps.

Wynand

Maybe this is what you are looking for:?

https://github.com/FrontAccountingERP/FA/pull/26

As in this thread.

https://frontaccounting.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=7405

Strange that you are not able to attach screen shots. One thing to remember is that screen shots should be saved as files (.png..etc) and then attached as files.

My guess is that you posting about a bug as well as a feature and have everyone thoroughly confused.

Lets start with the bug report.  My guess is that you are entering a Bank Payment with a Pay To ("person") of Miscellaneous.   This is a good guess because in vanilla FA, this will not show up in the Person/Item field on the banking reports or on the reconcile page, whereas all other Pay To types (supplier, customer, qe) will show up.

Using the FA Demo site, I created Bank Payment 23 to the BCA bank to illustrate the problem.  Anyone is welcome to view this transaction on the demo site.  Note that the Pay To person appears in Bank Inquiry but does not show up on Reconcile.

You can also use the FA Demo site to illustrate your problem.  Just create a transaction as I have done and tell us the bank account and transaction number and what does not work about the transaction.

I haven't fully investigated why this does not work on vanilla FA.  It does work on my fork, but that is because at some point I changed bank_account_reconcile.php and other pages to call:

function fmt_person($trans)
{
    return payment_person_name_link($trans["person_type_id"],$trans["person_id"],true,sql2date($trans["trans_date"]));
}

which is a new function in my fork that calls payment_person_name rather than

function fmt_person($trans)
{
    return get_counterparty_name($trans["type"], $trans["trans_no"]);
}

I haven't investigated any further than that.

The other part of your posting appears to be a feature request regarding the two memo fields.  Many accounting systems, like FA, have a line memo as well as a transaction memo.  Some people are horribly confused by this, even within my own company.  This especially arises when there is only one line item.  I advise people to use the line memo for their explanatory notes and the transaction memo only for the check number and the description that will be displayed on the bottom of the actual check, if it were printed out.  That is, the transaction memo is public information.

However, this policy was impossible to enforce, and therefore, I have had to modify FA to concatenate all the line memos and the transaction memo on certain reports and inquiries, so wherever the user enters the data, it will appear.

In vanilla FA, only the transaction memo appears on transaction reports and the line memo appears on G/L reports.  On the transaction inquiry pages, you can click the G/L icon (open book with two pages) to view the G/L information and line memo.

@braath it is the same issue.  The two memo's in Bank Deposits or bank payments do not show up in the reports like bank recon or even recon reports. Even if you fill in the cheque number or event name that you paid for example bank cost, then the report and the recon field are empty. I agree that at some point it was not an issue, same with the VAT reports that do not include bank payments. But that is a different topic.

@rafat, I have no button to attach a file, and yes it is png, so you cannot drag and drop and you cannot browse and add a file. all I have is BBCode and Smilies smile.

I am getting confused between all the forks and things that work in one version to no longer working in a new version.

I cannot add a General ledger with blank fields in the description of the transaction to the auditors or the tax authorities.

This is a huge issue.

Wynand

Can you use the FA demo site to demonstrate the problem?

10 (edited by seahawk 07/19/2023 10:26:25 am)

I have had a look at the current info on the demo.

#21 and #23 as well as #22 in the Banking Gand General Ledger/Transactions/Reconcile Bank account. Bca Account.

All Bank Payments have empty information in the Person/Item Column. In item 23 and 21, The Transaction Memo (Which is available on all Bank Payments, Bank Deposits, Customer Payments and Supplier Payments) is showing, not the Line Memo. #23 Also have a Line memo. But it does not show.

I created #24 in Bank Payments in Bank Account (Bca). So on Reconcile Bank account (Bca) Nothing is shown in the Person Item, even though I selected The following:

1. (Pay To) Miscellaneous (which is normally used for paying bank fees for example)
2. In the  (To the Order of) field I entered "Miscellaneous Payment"
3. In the (Line memo) I entered "Line Memo" and
4. In the (Transaction Memo) I entered Transaction Memo.

Go to Banking and General Ledger/Transactions/Reconcile Bank Account/ Bank Payment #24, there is a credit for 10 000 in the Credit Column; Nothing in the Person/Item Column; and Transaction Memo in the Memo column.

Click on item #24 you find the following information:

There should be a Person/Item on Bank Payments and Bank Deposits instead of the line memo, since not all companies use customer invoicing and payments, for example, charity donations.

When you draw the Banking report for account Bca for December 2022, #21 has a blank space at Person/Item while #23 Has information.

1. Pay To: Empty
2. Items for this payment: In column Memo, Item Line Memo.

Select the line Ledger entry:

1. Transaction Memo shows on line 4 of the window and shows against the Bank Loans line, whilst the Original Line Memo shows in the Sales Account.

Select Banking and General Ledger/Inquiries and Reports/ Banking Reports/Bank Statement/Bank Account Bca:

1. #24 Now shows the Person/Item that was entered with the entry as indicated above with Bank Payments/ Miscellaneous
2. I have found that when I create a shortcut for the same transaction, you also get empty fields like #21 on the Bank statement.
3. Line memo nor Transaction memo is to be found.

Select Banking and General Ledger/Inquiries and Reports/ Banking Reports/Bank Statement w/Reconcile/Bank Account Bca:

It now adds the Reco Date and Narration (Which is the same as the transaction Memo) Line memo is nowhere to be found.

Select Reports and analysis/ General Ledger/

1. In the ledger reports none of the Memos is showing at all within the two ledger accounts.

If Sales tax was included, then these banking transactions that is using Quick entries, also do not have anything displaying one of the Memos on the Tax report. I have not included Sales tax for ease of illustration. 

Trust this will help to make sense.

Post's attachments

FA Memo issue not pulling through to Bank recon reports.png 47.6 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Wynand

Yes, everything you describe makes sense, as this is exactly how FA currently works.  I agree that it is a bug at worst and inconsistent at best.

As Rafat pointed out, I offered a fix for the blank Person/Item when the Pay To is Miscellaneous or Quick Entry. However, it was never incorporated into FA for unknown reasons.

Which memo is displayed depends on whether it is a transaction query or a G/L account query.  Transaction queries do not display the line memos because there could be many lines of memos, one per G/L account in an multi-account transaction.  G/L queries can show all the memos.

Why some reports show the memo and others don't probably has to do with trying to fit the information on a page.

The Bank Inquiry and Reconcile Bank Account pages are transaction queries.  They show one line per transaction and can only show the transaction memo.

In order to show the line memos, one could create an extension that shows the G/L info, either with a hyperlink that expands the info or simply indents the G/L info underneath the transaction. Per the request of my accounting staff, I had to create an extension to do exactly that (QuickReport, modeled after Quickbooks).   Personally, I do not use it because it is just too crowded for my liking.

12 (edited by seahawk 07/19/2023 10:19:15 am)

Thanks, That means for now just live with it. It still works but is difficult when the TAX/VAT must pull through to the VAT report. That report must be submitted to our tax authorities in RSA with all support documents to indicate how you calculated your sale or value-added tax.

Post's attachments

Screenshot 2022-11-23 163543 Bank Payments screen.png 18.2 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Wynand

13 (edited by MacKenzie 01/31/2023 02:54:39 am)

And how ridiculous is that?  I'm constantly putting screen shots up on www.imgflip.com with a link. Such as:   https://imgflip.com/i/797pxb

*****(Still no place to upload an image - but thx for trying).*****

seahawk wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Do not have the option to attach screenshots.

Go to Accounting and General Ledger/Deposit/ - The entry will open. You have the following three header columns from left to right:

Account Code / Account Description  /Amount / Memo(Fist Memo Entry Field) / Add Item

At the bottom, you have Memo (Second Memo Field).

The same happens on the Bank Payments entry screen.

Rafat, hope it helps.

14 (edited by poncho1234 01/30/2023 11:45:48 am)

Ref. screenshots: Once you have written your post go back and edit it, there should now be an option to upload an image. Not an image an attachment, but this is the end result.

Post's attachments

Edit-reply-—-Bank-Payments-and-Deposits-Entry-Double-memo-fields-—-Banking-and-General-Ledger-—-FrontAccounting-forum.png 186.1 kb, 1 downloads since 2023-01-30 

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

No joy.

poncho1234 wrote:

Ref. screenshots: Once you have written your post go back and edit it, there should now be an option to upload an image. Not an image an attachment, but this is the end result.

16 (edited by poncho1234 02/02/2023 02:20:48 pm)

MacKenzie wrote:

No joy.

13 or maybe 14 posts to go then...

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

17 (edited by seahawk 07/19/2023 10:28:01 am)

Here is the screenshot I am talking about for the memo fields not population in the recon and recon report.

Post's attachments

FA Memo issue not pulling through to Bank recon reports.png 47.6 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Wynand