Topic: FrontAccounting comparison to weberp and comunionerp

Hi,

(I was not sure where to post this message as there is no general discussion phorum, so pls admin move it where appriopriate)

we are a company operating and developing a travel ecommerce solution in central Europe.

We search a accounting solution with following atributes:

== Platform
source code we could modify
php platform
serverbased.

== Desired features
Multi currency
Multi lingual
Invoice templates
User interface

FrontAccounting seems to fit our needs.

We are prepared to invest into customisation / participation in development about 500 programming hours in this year and 100-200 hours in next years.

Currently we consider FrontAccounting and following solutions:

www.weberp.org
www.comunionerp.com

What would be your reasoning for us to deploy/participate on development on FrontAccounting instead of those stated above, I am specailly interested in compartison of of features/advantages FrontAccounting in comparison with www.weberp.org/, which also has a long history and vivid community.

Re: FrontAccounting comparison to weberp and comunionerp

First of all to avoid any confusion I am an admin on the webERP project, and do not speak in any way for the Front accounting project.

Both Front accounting and webERP are excellent projects and I can recommend both of them to you. They share some similarities, but also have enough differences to make it worthwhile having two projects.

It seems to me that you fall into a common misconception regarding open source projects, that in some way the developers should act as salesmen, and should sell the product to you. You say "What would be your reasoning for us to deploy/participate on development on FrontAccounting instead of those stated above", when you should be asking what your reasoning is for supporting either project. The code and the features are open for all to see, you should be deciding which project gives you what you want, and deciding how best you can help that project.

I do not see webERP and Front accounting as being competitors, rather we are partners in attempting to push forward the cause of open source erp solutions. I do not develop webERP to increase the number of users of the software, rather I am trying to develop the best erp software I can, and if I achieve that then the users will follow. I imagine the motives of the Front accounting developers are similar.

Open source being what it is, any developments you did for one project could be taken to the other one if they were a good enough fit anyway. My advice is to try both, and then get developing. There is nothing to stop you supporting both projects :-)

Tim

Thanks Tim,
I was just about to write something similar, but have asked my partner, Janusz, to do it instead. I had the same feeling as you have. Yes, I have the feeling too, that we both push forward the cause of open source. Nice to hear that we are on the same wavelength. I also think that the clients should examine the projects extensively before planning to do something dramatic.

/Joe

Yes, I think TIm has explained excellent that the question is bad addressed. Having so much spare resources you can use some small part of them for recognizing differences between the three projects yourself. We are developers not software retailers nor consultants. First of all none of us know your preferences, so the best answer is the one you can find yourself. All the projects differ in set of features, goals, development process and community spread. I think some 5-10hrs per project would be enough to clarify all your doubts.

FrontAccounting is open source project, and we are open also on new ideas and contributions. You are welcome ludoja.

Janusz

ok, thanx for prompt answers, a good sign of a vivid community for both projects ;-)

there are several points I want to react, so...

Ad Tim:
"it seems to me that you fall into a common misconception regarding open source projects, that in some way the developers should act as salesmen, and should sell the product to you..."

Well, I think that any SW project (not excluding an open source one) should take into account not only developers but also its target audience - with all the regard to developers, I think they are not target group of the majority of OS projects, and feeling so, may often hurt the spread of OS concept.

ad: itronics
"Yes, I think TIm has explained excellent that the question is bad addressed. Having so much spare resources you can use some small part of them for recognizing differences between the three projects yourself. We are developers not software retailers nor consultants."

I supposed, that this is not forum only for developers, but also for users. I DO NOT expect developers to sell project, but I do expect project leaders respect the needs of their potential customers and communicate benefits of their product.

I am not in the quest for finding pleasure in pushing forward a OOS project, but I search a solution for satisfiying my needs and I am prepared to pay my bill in return, in lets say development participation. I think this is a case of 99% of OS users.

My resources are not SPARED, I simply try to allocate them as effectively as possible, thats why a posted this question. You may basically answer it in 5-10 minutes in more details than me/my developer would after 10 hours of research. The saved time might be spend on a feature in your project, which would help community, development and me as well. Thats my point.

If there is also a forum for users/not developers question, could I get a link pls.

And Janusz, thanx for welcome, I hope I do not sound rude, this is just a view from a economic perspective

Ludo

<Quote>
Ad Tim:
"it seems to me that you fall into a common misconception regarding open source projects, that in some way the developers should act as salesmen, and should sell the product to you..."

Well, I think that any SW project (not excluding an open source one) should take into account not only developers but also its target audience - with all the regard to developers, I think they are not target group of the majority of OS projects, and feeling so, may often hurt the spread of OS concept.
</Quote>

Obviously we as developers take into account the needs of users when developing the software. The reason I am involved is that I spent many years as a user of erp systems, and wanted to develop a better system for users. Open source projects are fundamentally different from proprietary ones, as in the proprietary world the size of the user base is everything. In the open source world, the quality of the software is everything.

When you buy a proprietary erp system you purchase not only the developers time, but implementation consultancy and post sale hand holding. The point that I was making was that we as open source developers provide our time freely, and you get the code that we produce. We also try to help with answering any questions regarding the code, but if you want proper consultancy and hand holding that is something that you generally have to pay for.

It seemed that your initial question was trying to setup a competition between the projects where we would fight amongst ourselves for the honour of your assistance. This may just be a language thing, in which case I apologise. You would be made most welcome at both or either project as a contributor or as a user or both. Both have an active and friendly user community.

I hope this clears it up a bit,
Tim

Hello Ludo,

My resources are not SPARED, I simply try to allocate them as effectively as possible, thats why a posted this question. You may basically answer it in 5-10 minutes in more details than me/my developer would after 10 hours of research.

I don't think so. The only man who know your requirements are you. The start constraints you have explained in first post are obviously fulfilled by both webERP and FA (comunion seems to be in alpha stage and seems not support multicurrency you need). I cannot advice which user interface philosophy is more suitable for you or which coding style is more compatible with your habits.
If you would ask me about features you want I could answer without problem. But seems you wanted me to make comparative study of the three projects. Sorry, I have not too much time to study other projects to give you satisfactory answer.

This forum is mainly for Front Accounting users, not developers, so feel free to ask us about any aspect of FrontAccounting usage, if you know what you want. You can also test the application on our demo site at http://fa2.iron.from.pl. Hope it will be helpful in your decision.

Best regards
Janusz

thanx for both answers guys, I see that both projects posess passionate developers, which makes for me even harder to make a decision :-).

Of course I have already devoted few hours of playing with demos of all of the projects, (I subscribed to mailing list of weberp about 2 weeks ago) and follow/search phorums of specific questions (eg API and project history), studied documentation (as I ma not a developer more from a project manager point of view), history and community behind projects, so the situation is not as you may perceive, that I found the names of the projects in a list and want you to educate me about basics. My fault that I did not stressed this in the first post. Mea culpa.

Pls do not take my question as provoking, I thought you observe competition and are willing to share pluses of your project. For me was rather surprising that the developers from communion have not heart about webERP and FA yet and started from scratch something which others already developed.

Tim, I did not mean to set up an artificial competition between projects, but obviously natural competition exists, because in my opinion weberp and FA are only mature accounting OS projects in the world and close surroundings ;-). ... so a logical question for me was, what differentiate you fundamentaly the most (otherwise there would be no reason to develop/market 2 different applications.)

Anybody who undergoes similar research as I did probably comes to this question, so make a clear difference would probably save not only my time.

Anyway, honestly, great respect to your work, as soon as we start to work on the project I will post a message on this board to coordinate our work with commuinity and contribute to the project.

Ludo

Hello Ludo,
Yes, maybe you are right that it would be useful for potential FA/webERP users to have some list of unique features available in the applications.

I think the main functional differences are listed below.

webERP:
* serial numbers/batch/lot control
* special (one time) orders
* automatic freight cost calculations
* SOAP API for easier integration with third party applications
* geocode support for customers/suppliers

FrontAcounting:
* three stage sales chain: orders-deliveries-invoices
* simple POS functionality
* template invoices
* dimensions for easy project/cost center GL inquires
* bank account reconciliation
* quick GL posting definitions
* support for network printers
* VAT/GST payable/return inquires/reports
* scanned document attachments

Of course beside above there is a lot of other features supoorted by both applications. There is also a lot of differences from developers point of view and in overall look and feel. Which of the individual coding/ui solutions are more convenient is certainly in main part matter of habits.  I have compiled the lists just for those users who know at least one of the applications, and want to know what the other can additionally offer.

Tim, give me a note if I've missed something unique for webERP. Your project has changed a lot since I was somewhat involved in its development smile.

Hope it helps.

Janusz

Hi Janusz,

thanx a lot.

This is kind of answer I was expecting, and I think it will help other people considering those 2 apps too.

Ludo

I'l give you my view because I believe I did my homework (being NOT a developer either I probably share your view of things).

I chose FA mainly because of its interface and the simplicity yet elegance of how certain crucial things are handled. People very often overlook the fact that the first impression (which is the UI) is more important than a particular function that may be easily added if the need arises.

I believe that weberp has the deeper functionality but it's sometimes hard to understand and thus hard to set up and hard to teach. The only real issue I have with FA so far is the lack of customer codes.

But of course - the only real test is the one against your requirements. If you did your business requirement analysis you should have a list of your KO criteria as well as one for important/nice to have things. Check them against both systems and if there is no clear preference let your programmers look which code is easier to change and where there is more future potential (in terms of adding functions/modules without changing the core code).

OS fortunately never is a dead end road because the code is yours.

thanx for opinion roblaus, I agree the UI is important, another yet not mentioned diffference I noticed, is that weberp stresses minimal use of java-script (which has its impact on UI). 

Our demands are quite specific (many customers, hell of amount of prices - each hotel has diferent rooms, seasonal prices etc.), and I guess quite a bit customisation will be requiered to adapt it to cooperate with our online catalog and callcenter communication SW, so the architecture and code structure will be quite important. But our developers will have to judge that.

Ludo

Hi Janusz,

As you say in your post your knowledge of webERP is not current, and likewise my knowledge of FA is nowhere near as detailed as it is of webERP. There are some things in your list that webERP has had for a while, and some that webERP has that FA doesn't but aren't mentioned. This is why the original question really makes no sense. Features can change, whereas this post will remain as an historical record. If I was to list a feature that webERP has and FA doesn't, you may release that feature next week making this post nonsense. However a potential user may come along and read this post and believe that FA doesn't have that feature. The only way to do a feature comparison is to provide two links to the features sections on our websites.

The true difference between the two projects is one of development philosophies. This is why the original developers of OA (the father of FA) split from webERP. This was an amicable split, and webERP still has much code provided by those developers.

I have a great deal of respect for FA as a project, and have often urged people to look at it as well as webERP.

Ludo, you say that you will probably need a great deal of customisation to fit either project into your company. I have been implementing systems in companies for over 25 years and have never yet met a company that doesn't think its needs are special, and that a lot of customisation will be necessary. This is rarely if ever so. The skill in implementation is to see how a companies needs can be married with the softwares features. This is why good consultants can command high fees.

Thanks
Tim

Hi Tim,
I know the list is not comprehensive, and maybe there is some inaccuracies, but I have done my best to point out main differences. I was not going to make exhaustive comparison with detailed description of implementation details, and all rings and whistles. Just a list of main differences at the time of writing. And yes, certainly this list will be even more out of date in some future, but all what we do is volatile,  just like all the outward things. This does not mean we shouldn't try to help the people if they ask for it. The final decision is always the software user's right.

More detailed lists of features for both applications can be found here for webERP  and here for Frontaccounting.

Best regards
Janusz

15 (edited by ScriptBASIC 10/16/2021 09:00:16 am)

FA is the only ERP I have found worth forking. The theme flexibility and clean design allows the package to morph into about anything you need it to be.

Hats off to the developers.