Topic: Existing past fiscal year date in new company setup

Hello.  I just setup a new company in FA 2.4.9 on a localhost and discovered that there is data for fiscal years 2019 and 2020.  I opted to use the existing database for my default company.  The data is unrelated to my business so I am confused as to why it is in the database.  All of the transactions are related to two customers:  Donald Easter and MoneyMaker Ltd.

I would like to simply delete the data but I'm not sure of the best way to do this.  If I delete the fiscal years the system reports that the transactional data will be gone but there will remain the relevant balances.

What to do?

Re: Existing past fiscal year date in new company setup

After a bit of searching the forum I've learned that data is related to a "test" company.  So this helps a bit to know but I still want to clean up the data associated with the new company.  It would be nice to know why it's there since it is not present in my default company.

3 (edited by rafat 07/01/2021 04:42:58 am)

Most probably is when you created your new company you have chosen a Database Script of "Standard American COA (4 digit) with demo data". This script contains the demo customers you mentioned above. If you do not need the demo data then you should choose Database Script of "Standard new company American COA (4 digit)".. this script contains no demo data at all...empty.

Now the tricky part.. do you need your new company data that you entered with the demo customers? If so then I dont see a straight way to do that unless you are well versed with db tools and be able to remove the demo data by accessing the db directly..which is also dangerous..

If you dont need the company data then the best thing is is to delete the company and recreate it with the above Standared New Script.

Good luck..

Thanks for the response and path forward.  No new data exists so it should be a pretty clean fix.  Maybe what I've experienced is a very infrequent occurrence, but even so it would be nice to have that little "gotcha" brought out in the various 'new company setup how-to's' that are out there.  The FA WIKI has a link to a doc that provides a bunch of helpful instructions but no mention of the demo data.  That doc also links to a KVCodes article, that is very good, but again no mention.  Now that I know about it I feel like it was staring me in the face but I just missed it!  Thanks again!

5 (edited by rafat 07/01/2021 04:56:29 pm)

I do have a feeling that the naming convention of the Scripts is somehow not direct.. and sometimes it is misleading. So maybe something like:

Demo Company with American COA ---- For company with demo data.
New Company with American COA ---- For company with no data.

Might be a better way of naming them.. I don't know..I could be mistaken..

Now of course the Database scripts depend on the COA that one chooses to have for the company (once the COA is installed).. But the only COA that have demo data is the  Standard American COA (4 digits).