Re: Import Transactions

Hi. FYI. I cut and pasted the contents of  "the correct version of import_transactions/import_transactions.php" above  into <FA_WebRoot>/modules/import_transactions/import_transactions.php and it appears to work. (not heavily tested though).
This appears to suggest that the import_transactions.php in the latest import_transactions module differs.

Regards Barry

Ref above: Too soon.  When I actually tried to run the module I got "Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_fetch_assoc() in /var/www/html/accounts/modules/import_transactions/includes/import_transactions.inc:643"

Regards Barry

Looks like you will have to overwrite all your import_transaction module files. Take it from the attachment.

Post's attachments

import_transactions_2017-07-24.zip 49.9 kb, 20 downloads since 2017-07-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thanks very much.  That appears to have worked.  BTW what was the difference between the file you posted and the one contained in the full modules one?

Regards Barry

Hello. Once again I spoke too soon. This time the Import Transaction trial run showed up all green. I then unticked to process.  The procedure appeared to run and notified of various GL updates but when I then ran a TB the transactions were not there.  BTW after running the TB and returning to the import module it was 'greyed out' and I had to log out and back in to reaccess it.

Regards Barry

The file I posted is the same as the one in the zip which had other changed files as well.

It appears you may have some browser cache issue - what browser and version did you now text on? As InnoDB tables are being used, some some tables having an auto_increment field will need to reset their auto_increment values after an insert depending on your version of MySQL (?) and PHP (?).

Credits (and brickbats wink too) for the latest code for this module goes to @braathwaate on Github.

Hello.  The messages I am sending are from Google Chrome running on KDE-Neon which is based on Ubuntu 16.04.

FA is installed on a local fileserver and accessed from Linux based workstations on the LAN.

The MySQL on the server is: MySQL Server version: 5.7.19-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 - (Ubuntu). Protocol version: 10 and PHP etc.: Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu), PHP version: 7.0.18-0ubuntu0.16.04.1.

Can I manually set the auto_increment field values?

Regards Barry

For initial testing, try creating a file with just one transaction.   Then examine the bottom of the green page.   If it says "xx would have been successful if imported. Uncheck Trial check before importing" then there is some problem with unclicking the trial check.  If it says "xx have been imported", then the item should have been imported, and the next step is to try to find it.   You should notice it on Trial Balance.  Look at the G/L for the account that was imported.  If you can't find it, then post the data line you tried to import.

@BarryHavenga: As you are using MySQL v5.7.x, the '0000-00-00' and it's timestamp counterpart are no longer accepted as an empty date unless the strict mode is turned off. There may be some PHP 7.x gotchas we need to weed out. Follow @braathwaate's instructions and see what gives.

Someone can test with PHP between 5.3 and 5.6 (both inclusive) along with MySQL between v5.0 and v5.6 and see if all is well.

Hello.  I have used transaction import successfully, backed up the result but when I tried to do another one the error :
"Undefined variable: use_popup_windows in file: /var/www/html/accounts/modules/import_transactions/import_transactions.php at line 68" reappeared for some reason.

Your advice on the reason for this and how to clear it would be appreciated.

Regards Barry

Hello apmuthu message of the 07/27/2017 refers.  Where do I find "@braathwaate's instructions" to turn off strict mode in MySQL v5.7?

Regards Barry

This post has what you need. If you need to put it in the db connection script see this post for FA 2.3 and port it accordingly into the mysql/mysqli connect scripts. @braathwaate's instructions were for PHP versions.

I am getting the following error when trying to import transactions:

"There are no customers, or there are no customers with branches. Please define customers and customer branches."

I am trying to import a general journal transaction. I have checked my account codes and they are all correct and all except one are for expenses. The one that isn't an expense is a credit card entry.

I am using FrontAccounting 2.4.2.

I installed the import_transactions extension from the program interface and then copied over these files:

import_transactions_2017-07-24.zip

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bill Dika

The function check_db_has_customer_branches() in sales/sales_order_entry.php and sales/credit_note_entry.php  is the one that normally causes this error. In this case, the import_transactions.php file too calls this function on line 131.

After taking a backup before importing transactions, try to temporarily comment out the said line and then import your transactions and see if everything is in order. This check is there for those who try to import transactions pertaining to customers that do not exist in the target FA system.

Hi apmuthu:

Thanks for responding.

I commented out the line as you said in import_transactions.php.

The import went through without any errors and checking the accounts afterward, all seemed OK.

It is curious to me that this function got triggered on the import since I have no customer, sales, purchase or accounts payable integrated accounts. All my accounts are straight general ledger accounts.

I have two separate Front Accounting instances on the same webserver. I upgraded both at about the same time and installed the import_transactions module together with the fixes on both instances. The first instance allowed me to import transactions without any problem. On the second instance I ran into the problem above which you kindly helped me fix. They are two separate but similar sets of books for two different businesses. Not sure why one gave me the problem and the other did not.

In any case, thank you.

Bill Dika

Not everyone's list of transactions may be as straightforward as yours was. Every instance of import_transactions should normally trigger such an error if there were no customers/branches to begin with in the target FA.

Your experience and feedback will be useful to those in a similar situation. Thankyou.

Hi apmuthu:

I have run into a new problem.

After using the add on successfully last month I have a new problem cropping up.

When trying to import a general journal entry list of transactions, it says that the transactions are duplicates and that I cannot enter them.

When I turned on debugging I get the following message when doing a trial run  to import transactions:

trigger_error('DATABASE ERROR : cannot add journal entry
error code : 1062
error message : Duplicate entry '0-169' for key 'PRIMARY'
sql that failed was : INSERT INTO 0_journal( `type`,`trans_no`, `amount`, `currency`, `rate`, `reference`, `source_ref`, `tran_date`, `event_date`, `doc_date`) VALUES('0','169','1239.23','CAD','1','169','','2017-11-01','','')

I checked type=0 and trans_no=169 and if I understand the mysql database correctly, this was a transaction way back in 2009. My trans_no's are over 2000 now.

Any help from you or anyone else with a safe solution to my problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Dika

Looks like the id's start from 1 each time.

Import transactions uses the basic assumption that transaction numbers of type ST_JOURNAL (0) in the GL database "gl_trans" and the journal database "journal" are the same.   As I read the code in FA I believe this should always be true.  So when transactions are imported, the next transaction number to add is the last ST_JOURNAL transaction in the GL database plus one (see last_transno()).  This is used for both the gl_trans and journal DBs.

But if your database somehow violates this assumption, then you could get the error you experienced.

I would start by searching for the duplicate entries (e.g. 0-169) in the GL database.  You can use the mysql tool to do this.   I have to guess that the duplicate entries are not in the GL database; otherwise last_transno() would have found them and set the next transaction number past them.

Why would your database violate the assumption?   Due to some bug in FA where GL database entries were cleared but left in "journal"?

Let me know what you find out.

Hi Braath, apmuthu:

Thanks for your replies.

Braath:

In 0_gl_trans there are several 0-169's but they represent the different components of a single balancing journal entry in 2009. In 0_journal there is only one 0-169 and it is the debit total amount of the same transaction. I don't see any duplicates. But it appears that the "import journal entries" module is trying to use this same 0-169 to add my imported entry.

The last trans_no used is 2187 in both 0_gl_trans and 0_journal.

"So when transactions are imported, the next transaction number to add is the last ST_JOURNAL transaction in the GL database plus one"

Any direction on how to go about updating this to the correct last transaction would be appreciated, if that is the problem.

Thank you.

Bill Dika

The 0-169 entries as you describe appear to be correct, so missing entries in gl_trans must not be the problem.

I was assuming that the error is coming from the call:

add_journal(ST_JOURNAL, $curEntryId[ST_JOURNAL], ...

in import_transactions.   $curEntryId[ST_JOURNAL] is supposed to be 1 past the last transaction.   It should not be 169 if the last journal transaction is 2187.  You could instrument the code (add the line display_notification(...)) to try to determine why it is not  2187.   Instrument this call and in last_transno().

You could also use mysql to see if the following queries all return the same number:

select max(type_no) from gl_trans where type=0;
select max(trans_no) from journal where type=0;
SELECT counter, type, type_no, amount FROM gl_trans ORDER BY counter DESC LIMIT 1;

Hi Braath:

Thanks for the reply.

select max(type_no) from gl_trans where type=0;
select max(trans_no) from journal where type=0;
SELECT counter, type, type_no, amount FROM gl_trans ORDER BY counter DESC LIMIT 1;

The first and second of these three queries return 2187.

The third query returns:
counter=28847, type=1, type_no=168 and amount=-75

You could instrument the code (add the line display_notification(...)) to try to determine why it is not  2187.   Instrument this call and in last_transno()

I am not entirely sure how to carry this out. I found the lines:

add_journal(ST_JOURNAL, $curEntryId[ST_JOURNAL], ...
      ... last_transno() ...

but am not sure where to add:

display_notification(...)

Also I am not sure what

Instrument this call

means? I am an accountant and not a programmer.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Bill Dika

Well I guess you don't need to instrument the code now, as you found the bug, because all three mysql queries should be the same.   The last one is in error.

I will fix the bug in my fork and ask apmuthu to fix the master.   My first thought is to change the line in import_transactions/includes/import_transactions.inc from:

$sql = "SELECT counter, type, type_no, amount FROM " . TB_PREF . "gl_trans ORDER BY counter DESC LIMIT 1";

to

$sql = "select max(type_no) as type_no FROM " . TB_PREF . "gl_trans where type=0";

I haven't tested this, and it may not be the way I will fix it in the master, but its worth a try.

The reason you ran into this problem is because the last gl transaction in your DB happens to be a bank payment.  So another workaround is to make a dummy journal entry as the last transaction then try import transactions again.

Hi Braath:

Thanks for the help.

So another workaround is to make a dummy journal entry as the last transaction then try import transactions again.

This worked.

I made a $1 debit and credit journal entry to my Miscellaneous account and then the import worked.

Bill Dika

@BraathWatte/bdika: what a way to "cheat" the system. Needs a pure blooded accountant to wade thru this without getting confused.

I'll now await the outcome.

Refer this post for case sensitivity of the 'SELECT' part of the sql.

Just wiki-ed the presence of the good old secondary repo at http://devel.frontaccounting.com/git/ where some old extensions reside - maybe someone can polish them for use in FA 2.4.x.