Topic: Dimensions from invoices etc. are not used in ledger

This is a very big dissapointment; when I link dimensions to artikels, clients, etc. they are not used when frontaccounting generates ledger entries from an invoice (what I've seen so far) and probaly other transactions as well. This means I can not use dimension reporting on ledger reports to see what profit and/or loss is being generated by invoiced items or to see a annual cost report for any particular dimension.

Is this being worked on, can we do it ourselfs (maybe a pointer to where to begin) or is this not wanted or absent for some other reason.

Re: Dimensions from invoices etc. are not used in ledger

If you put a dimension, either on an article or a client, it will automatically generate sales lines for these items. Please try a little harder to see how it works.
When you invoice, and if you put a dimension on the customer, this dimension is suggested. After you have created your invoice you can look at the GL entry.
The dimensions inside FA are powerful tools to follow a specific cost centre, project or whatever you use it for.
When you run a Balance Sheet or profit & loss statement, you can filter by dimension. There are other reports filtered by dimensions.
So please try again.

/Joe

Joe, thanks for your reply. I know that dimensions are very powerfull, that is why I want to use them. But the problem is that the behaviour that you describe is not happening here. I have the following scenario:

1. I have created a dimension list with product names
2. I have a ledger account for each product group
3. Products are linked to their specific ledger-account for the product group where we want to accumuate the ledger entries for that product
4. Each product is linked with it's product dimension
5. I invoice a product, this creates ledger entries for the correct product group account in the ledger
6. I asume, as you state above, that the dimension that is linked to the product is also generated into the ledger-entry
7. I should therefor see the dimension for the product reflected in the ledger entry but this is NOT the case

I want to filter my ledger entries (and other reports) by product dimension. I could for example create a profit & loss statement for one specific product this way but unfortunately this is not happening (for now)

Maybe you can give me some pointers as where to look to get this working. My assumption is that I can set a dimension on a product or service, invoice this product or service, have ledger entries generated with the correct dimension and then filter the ledger entries (for a specific report) for that dimension.

Where do I go wrong?

OK, some more info: I checked the ledger entries and it seems that the dimensions get recorded as they should. The problem seems to occur during reporting. When I don't filter the report then I get the correct information. But as soon as I set a dimension filter I get only the report header and the page is blank after that.

At least this means that all entries I make are recorded correctly smile

i've just looked through all the reports that can be filtered by dimensions and everything works just like a charm.
Normally you don't see any dimension transaction in the Balance Sheet, unless you explicitly have entered them in the Journal Entry Form.
But they should show up in P&L Statement, GL Account Statement, trial balance report etc. and many inquiries, that can be filtered by dimensions.
Did you select correct periods?
Which reports showed an empty report.
This is the first time I have heard of any problems with this.

/Joe