Topic: Bank Payments that creates two GL postings

As it is now, it is very difficult to control payments from supplier invoices where the date of the payment is different from the date of the actual cost.

Here is our wishes:

- It should be possible to attach a supplier to a payment quick entry
- It should be possible to set a date of the cost.
- On basis of the two above, it should create two GL entries. The first one with the GL postings that involves the postings of the actual costs that are then counter posted on the accounts payable account. The second one should be the payment, that debits accounts payable and credit the bank account on the date of the payment.

There is no way of controlling this as it is now, unless you use the purchase order. But unless you create an actual purchase order of an item, there is no automatic calculation of VAT. The new quick entry feature is very very nice. However, it often isn't possible to use it, because of the above.

Regards
Rasmus

Re: Bank Payments that creates two GL postings

It is a little scary to have different dates within a journal entry (transaction with the same journal entry no).
I am not sure if I fully understand your wishes. Shouldn't there be any allocations involved?
Please make a little more explanations so we don't miss anything. Ev. give an example.

/Joe

You are correct that there shouldn't be two different dates on the same GL entry. Therefore it should generate two smile

So that the first one credits the total amount on the accounts payable account and the second one does the payment transaction on the payment date. In this way you make sure that the costs are booked correctly for VAT reporting and at the same time you can still do the reconciliation with your bank account.

Example: Rent of stock.
Supplier: Stocks4Thugs
Date of invoice: 15/3
Date of payment: 15/4

Total amount: 2500
Amount: 2000
VAT: 500

When entering the above information and using the quick entry to get the correct VAT postings it should do two things.

- 1st:
Create GL entry for 15/3

Debit VAT account: 500
Debit account for stock rent: 2000
Credit Accounts payable: 2500

- 2nd:
Create GL entry for 15/4

Debit Accounts payable: 2500
Credit Bank Account: 2500

It should do both GL entries at once, just with different dates. It would be nice if it somehow could register the transactions on the supplier Stocks4thugs (should be optional). No allocations are really needed in this case as I see it (as you can adjust the payment date), though it would be nice to have a report that gave you list of all upcoming payments.

Very often this type of costs will be operational, wherefore you want to be able to enter them fast, since there is no need to control the flow as much as when you do purchases. From the bank account the money will often either be withdrawn automatically or you enter the payment imediately after receipt with a payment date out in the future.

Rasmus

But Rasmus, couldn't you just have 2 quick entries. One that does the first part and one that does the payment part.
You could call them by your supplier name and give the a suffix so you easily can find them. They will be just after each other in the list.
You can create these quick entries with the existing setup very easy.
The way you suggest, will just complicate things. Now it is quite easy for everybody to create them. And as there is no harm done when playing with it, you can do several trial and errors. The Journal Entry is first updated when pressing the process button.

/Joe

I don't see how the above is possible, since you can't use bank accounts in your gl entries.

However, I have new suggestion that probably would be a lot more simple to implement.

We should simply have the same quick entry feature when entering manual gl entries on a supplier invouce, as when you we bank payments.

The core problem is that there is no way to do cost entries, where payment is not on the same day as the cost if you also want to control outstanding balances with suppliers that doesn't supply to your stock. And as you mentioned, there are also no way of controlling allocations. But if we had quick entries on the supplier invoice, we could use this to control all costs.

Actually you can if you have admin priviligies in Journal Entry, but your second suggest seems to be more adequate. I will have a closer look at this. I will be back when I have done my research.

/Joe

Hello again, Rasmus.
I have now looked at the suppler invoice/credit note entry of gl_codes, and the quick entries are now implemented here as well.
I will later commit the files to CVS unstable. Just thought you wanted to know ASAP.
There is no problem removing the constraint of adding other bankaccounts in bank payment/deposit. Do you want me to do that. Everything is handled internally correct. The other bank transactions are done as well, just as they should.

/Joe

Now the files are committed to CVS unstable. Following files affected:
  /gl/gl_bank.php
  /gl/gl_journal.php
  /gl/includes/db/gl_db_banking.inc
  /includes/ui/ui_view.inc
  /purchasing/supplier_credit.php
  /purchasing/supplier_invoice.php
  /purchasing/includes/ui/invoice_ui.inc

/joe

Sorry, there were some mistakes. Please download these files again:
  /gl/gl_bank.php
  /gl/gl_journal.php
  /includes/ui/ui_view.inc

/Joe

This feature will help us and hopefully a lot others a lot.

Thank you very much smile
Rasmus

What happened to this great feature? I don't see it in the demo any longer

Sorry, there was no quick entries for supplier invoices.