Topic: Development of a "fancier" bank import module

With due respect to the creators of the current bank import modules, FA has fallen behind more recent system regarding the sophistication of the important bank import functionality.

I am interested to know if anyone would be interested to adapt the current module to have the following functionality (inter alia):

- The ability to adapt to different formats of bank statements;
- The ability to identify single column debits & credits by sign;
- The ability to import debits and credits simultaneously;
- The ability to allocate transactions to appropriate GL accounts, as a lookup during the import process, including split allocations;
- Wishful thinking: To 'remember' prior allocations and to suggest these when performing a new import.

If so what kind of money are we looking at given that much of the functionality already exists in various PHP 'macros'

Regards

Regards Barry

Re: Development of a "fancier" bank import module

You could look at the extension that I wrote https://github.com/braathwaate/FA24extensions/tree/master/Extensions/bank_auto_reconcile.  The main focus is to reconcile a bank statement with existing manually entered g/l entries in FA; however, missing g/l entries can be automatically imported using the same g/l accounts as used previously.  That is, once there has been one match, future entries are imported using the comment field, assuming that some of the comment on the bank statement is consistent.  (E.g. WATER UTILITY X75GGGGFX will match each time based on WATER UTILITY in the comment even if other numbers in the bank statement comment change).   Therefore, auto deductions with varying amounts each month auto-import using the same g/l accounts as the prior month.  Bank statement formats are hard coded, but easily modified in the code in a table.

OK Thanks. I will take a look

Regards Barry

Hi Just so I don't mess this up. I presume I copy the routine into the 'modules' subdirectory? What do I do with the 'hooks' file?
Any idea how one would handle a split transaction, i.e. one amount in the bank statement allocated to 2 or more GL accounts?
Rgds

Regards Barry

Yes, just copy the entire directory to modules.  Then install it like any other module, activate it and enable access permissions.

The module does not handle import of split transactions.  How would it know how to split the transaction?  So if you need split transactions, you have to create those manually.