Topic: "Prefix" in Transaction References

I tried google and search in this forum for something that's actually quite trivial, but since I can't find any I am gonna ask away ...

I want to set standard prefix like "SI" for Sales Invoices and "SO" for Sales Order etc.
On Company Setup => Transaction References there are predefined settings and values that you 'should' be able to do so. There is a Prefix column, but when I edit Sales Invoices for example there is no way to enter value "SI" as a prefix

Is this something you supposed to set on the background ? and not on FA web ?

Thanks,

innovation-driven technology

Re: "Prefix" in Transaction References

Did you try to create a new transaction reference and set as default for the type Invoice?

3 (edited by aleifuuwork 06/05/2018 01:46:11 pm)

No, not creating new transaction reference

Just trying to add the prefix to whatever current transaction reference are

Basically I hit Company Setup => Transaction References and trying to add prefix to some or all, but there was no option to do so

*Oh and btw, there is no option to add/edit Prefix when creating new transaction reference either

The lack of edit for transaction reference prefix is that there may be other transactions using it. Use with care manually.

Its simple you can do it like this.
Goto Setup -> Transaction References

Sales Invoice  SI{001}/{YYYY}
Sales Order    SO{001}/{YYYY}

I hope it will work for you.

Subscription service based on FA
HRM CRM POS batch Themes

kvvaradha wrote:

Its simple you can do it like this.
Goto Setup -> Transaction References

Sales Invoice  SI{001}/{YYYY}
Sales Order    SO{001}/{YYYY}

I hope it will work for you.

Alright awesome kvvradha ! I think that should be thr fix that should work for now

Havent got a chance to try it, but it should be okay

Many thanks !

apmuthu wrote:

The lack of edit for transaction reference prefix is that there may be other transactions using it. Use with care manually.

I can understand with the lack of edit scenario

But there is no option/column for "Prefix" when you add new either. So one could wonder why the need to put "Prefix" there if you essentially can't edir nor add ?

So, looking at https://imgur.com/HXysVQP you will see the top of the table of transaction references which is accessed by Setup -> Transaction References, for each existing reference you have the option to edit or delete, you also have the option to create a new transaction reference at the bottom of the table.
To edit an existing transaction reference click the edit icon and you will see this screen:- https://imgur.com/1Nbyczu, now you may or may  not be able to edit the prefix (in this case the prefix is 'PB') depending if you have entered transactions using this reference or not; but even if you have you can change the prefix by creating a new reference and if necessary making it the default for this type.
For added functionality you can also use placeholders discussed here and here.

Post's attachments

prefix_screenshot.png 20.6 kb, 1 downloads since 2018-06-08 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

Thanks kvvaradha and poncho1234,

I understand better how these 'prefix' supposed to work. I think this is a minor area that can be improved for readability sake, because from what I see, FA seem to give you option to edit prefix, but when you click edit there simply no options to do that. It's inferred that you gotta 'override' it manually by specifying in Reference Pattern. Maybe it's just best to remove 'Prefix' column altogether in future ?

10 (edited by poncho1234 07/08/2018 04:37:08 pm)

Please read my previous post more carefully

poncho wrote:

now you may or may  not be able to edit the prefix (in this case the prefix is 'PB') depending if you have entered transactions using this reference or not;

So to reiterate:-
If you have created documents/transactions using that prefix you will not be able to edit it
If you have not created any documents/transaction using that prefix you will be able to edit it

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

poncho1234 wrote:

If you have created documents/transactions using that prefix you will not be able to edit it
If you have not created any documents/transaction using that prefix you will be able to edit it

Yes, I understand this now. However, think of the following

If you have created documents/transactions using that prefix, you can change by editing the Reference Pattern field
If you have not created any documents/transaction using that prefix, you can change by editing the Reference Pattern field

Hence, there is no use to mention the field 'Prefix' at all IMHO since it plays no role at all.

Prefix is supposedly already a 'part' of Reference Pattern normally, therefore there is no need to
separate them nor give illusion that you can edit them separately