Topic: Item and Category

i have a question on item and category

i have tried to read as carefully as possible the fa wiki and the forum for clues ... i have understood that every item belongs to a category and there is only 1 level of category and not sub-category ... i have read that there is some user that had input over 1000 categories ...

sorry, my experience is limited so i think if i use a real example i can explain myself better:
i am going to import my list of items, about 300 wines from different wine regions and in our current excel file we have different level of categories such as:
oil    > extra virgin olive oil
oil    > olive oil
wine > france > white
wine > france > red
wine > italy    > red    > piedmont
wine > italy    > red    > tuscany
wine > italy    > white > piedmont
wine > italy    > white > tuscany
wine > italy    > sparkling

since i have only one category i can use, i should group the above classification in a long description, thus i should create a category "wine france white", another "wine france red". another "wine italy white", another "wine italy red" and so on ...

or do you have better and more efficient suggestion?

thanks

Re: Item and Category

The following should be your categories if only one category is allowed:

Oil
Wine French White
Wine French Red
Wine Italian Piedmont Red
Wine Italian Piedmont White
Wine Italian Tuscany Red
Wine Italian Tuscany White
Wine Italian Sparkling

many thanks for your answer

category name, item name and item description have a number of characters limit, i.e. i must control my category no be more than 20 characters?

What about using dimensions?

hello gnulab,

i have understood that there are only dimension 0, 1 , 2

before example was trying to explain what i was looking for ... but actually most of our products have 4 level of category
1. wine or oil or pasta
2. country
3. wine region
4  producer
5. i.e for wine is white, red, sparkling

thanks for sharing some good idea :-)

in addition i would like to know what is the "item" field number of characters and in case i need can i increase ?

some of my "item" description are quiet lengthy, for example one wine full name is: "Semonte AltoValpolicella Classico Superiore Ripasso DOC  西蒙特阿尔多 瓦波利切拉经典特酿瑞帕索红葡萄酒"

many thanks