Topic: Landed Costing of Inventory Items

When receiving imported goods is it possible to enter the cost of the goods, the shipping costs and any taxes or duties involved with that item / order so that the item cost in the books is shown as a total of all these costs.

Example -

100pc item 1 at 100 = 10,000
Shipping total = 1,000
Total Customs Fees = 500

Total Landed Cost of 100pc = 11,500  per unit = 115

Cost per item in inventory / items, in COGS, in inventory asset account and reports shows as  115?

Re: Landed Costing of Inventory Items

From what I am given to understand, you have to set up a manufactured item called "item A" in the inventory lists, also set up as purchased items "Item A-1", "Item A-2" Freight A" "Customs A".

Create a manufactured item A made of x parts A-1, A-2, Freight A, Customs A

Receive in items A-1, A-2, freight A and customs A, then create your manufactured item A.

Does that make sense, and is it the information you were looking for?

Thanks for your rapid reply!

Yes, it makes sense. I was hoping to avoid that. There are account programs the are capable of handling "landed cost" as a single item.

When receiving an item or a PO of several items the shipping and port fees can be entered after the goods are received to update the cost, either by weighted average for each item on the PO, or by specifically breaking it out for each item.

I have not studied FA to the point that I know if the cost for Manufactured item A will fluctuate as the costs of any of the components, either the goods, the shipping or the port fees vary from one shipment to another.

If not, I'd like a Last In, First Out cost or the book value of the inventory at the "replacement cost" or the last known total cost of the goods.

What you suggest is a work-around, which I may have to use, but I was hoping for it all under the purchased goods.

You can register additional costs in GL items section of purchase invoice.

5 (edited by MacPhotoBiker 09/28/2012 11:00:15 pm)

Hi,

sorry, but as far as I see, this is not what psonon is looking for.

It´s obvious that it´s possible to somehow post the freight costs, but that´s not the point.

The point is that the value (cost) for one article is defined by the price one has to pay to the supplier, plus any related costs.

Very simple example:

You buy 1 piece of Product A at $100. Shipping costs $20. Now, the inventory value of this article should show $120. Thats not the same as inventory value $100, and freight costs $20. The $120 are the "landed cost", and that´s extremely(!) important for profit calculations.

Example: Lets say one sells above article for $110. If you calculate gross profit as Sales - Cost, this gives you a profit of $10. (110 - 100)  However, if you calculate it based on landed costs, it gives you a loss of $10 (110 - 120). Landed costing is really crucial.

A (quite cheesy) workaround would be to calculate the landed cost in excel, update the purchase order and THEN receive the goods. However, then the track is lost as what has been posted, and why.

Usually it should work like this: One should be offered basically an unlimited number of lines of possible costs (freight, customs, one way skids etc.). Then, the total of this additional amount has to be distributed towards all lines on the purchase order. Usually, the distribution can be done by quantity, or by value, while by value usually is the preferred option.

Would it be possible to do the landed cost calculation "cleanly" within FA?

Thanks!

MacPhotoBiker

MacPhotoBiker
--
Just do your Core Business, we do the rest: Computer Maintenance  |  Data Recovery  |  Hosting  |  Accounting
www.justcorebusiness.com

Thanks, Mac

Yes, this is a concept foreign to those who have no use for it. It is far more a management tool than a "bookkeeping for tax purposes" general ledger entry. And there is far more than just shipping, there is VAT (I have businesses in China and the UK, as well as the US and VAT is a fact of life in the UK, as duty can be, also.) There are also costs such as drayage from port to warehouse and demurrage on the time the container is sitting on your property.

All of these need to calculated as costs of the particular item, not expenses down the COA, in order to tell what youare really making (and give a realistic markup / gross profit) per item.

Amazingly, there are a number of Point-of-Sale (computer cash registers) software packages that offer this, but few accounting programs. MYOB for the US market in the 1900's did, and there are add-on modules for other mid and high priced PC based programs, but nothing for a free or low-cost online package.

Doing a simple Google of "landed costs" will show there is quite a bit of talk about this method. Here's just one link - http://www.joc.com/2010/10-tips-understanding-total-landed-and-delivered-costs

Hi psonon,

sorry for my late answer, I guess I forgot to "subscribe to this topic".

You are right, landed cost is much more than a posting concept. After all, the impact on profit (over time) is the same, no matter if you put the additional costs into the stock value, or if you just expense them. After all, FA claims to be an ERP system, and landed costing is such a basic concept that I was actually hoping this could be done here. And then, also accountants should be interested in this concept, since this is a major tool allowing to decide if the mentioned costs are expensed right away, or distributed over sales.

In the past, one "workaround" for another ERP system I found was this: I connected Excel via ODBC to the line items for a particular purchase order, calculated the additional costs on a second sheet, then included them in the different item prices, distributing the additional costs to each line according to the line´s share of the total value.

Am I correct that you did not find a real solution for this topic? How are you dealing now with it?

MacPhotoBiker
--
Just do your Core Business, we do the rest: Computer Maintenance  |  Data Recovery  |  Hosting  |  Accounting
www.justcorebusiness.com

Ye olde Excel

Item Code| Qty x Cost Ea = Total Cost + Shipping In (prorated by item weighs) + VAT (prorated by item value) = Grand Total / Qty = Landed Cost Per Item x Factor = Selling Price in USD x Conversion Rate = Actual Selling Price in GBP

Fortunately just a couple of dozen items. I dropship for Ebay sellers by air mail worldwide, but 80% is to the UK and by November 1 the mail is so backed up Christmas presents won't make it in time. So I have the truly hot movers in the UK for established sellers who depend on me the other 10 months.

So, I can go through it once and get a good idea. Shipping will vary a bit depending on the mix in the cartons, but VAT is constant and there is no duty on my goods, so I can get an idea of pricing and leave a bit of cushion. Nothing to stay awake over, but someone else started a thread and I replied. Then the forum powers that be decided to fork this off on it's own.

i enjoyed reading this thread, i am also very interested in dealing with Landed Cost ...

i assume that FA doesn't offer a proper solution to handle this specific issue ... so we need to use Excel, calculate these costs modify the Purchasing Price and so the Inventory Cost

i would like to ask how do you handle the slight difference in the Landed Cost time to time,  do you update the Purchasing Cost every shipment?

many thanks in advance

Hi Vdonatiello,
I am not sure if I quite understand what you mean by "slight difference". Do you refer to the fact the the landed cost is not always exactly the same from PO to PO? If so, then yes, the only way I can see to incorporate the landed cost into stock value is to adjust the purchasing prices before receiving the goods. I am actually a bit surprised that this has not been implemented into FA so far, since I believe it´s rather simple: All they would need is a couple of fields where one could put both label and amount. Then the total amount is calculated and distributed over the individual lines proportionally either by amount, quantities or just equally (I can´t think of any other distribution model currently).
Does this answer your question?

MacPhotoBiker
--
www.justcorebusiness.com

MacPhotoBiker wrote:

I am not sure if I quite understand what you mean by "slight difference". Do you refer to the fact the the landed cost is not always exactly the same from PO to PO? If so, then yes, the only way I can see to incorporate the landed cost into stock value is to adjust the purchasing prices before receiving the goods.

i am not a programmer neither an accountant sorry if my language is not technical enough, so i use some example to better express myself ...

we import goods almost every months, the ex-work price we pay to the supplier is almost the same (they usually change the Price List every 2 years), but the real cost of acquisition the goods change every time (fluctuating exchange rates, depending on the quantity, sometime we order 3 pallets sometime we order a full container, some cost is fixed per shipment regardless the quantity or the value, i.e. issuing the master bill of lading, some cost is based on value, i.e. custom duty, some cost is based on quantity, i.e. ocean freight based on weight) therefore every time the real Cost of Goods Sold is slightly different ...

do you have advice how to handle?

i am thinking to use excel sheet and calculate outside FA the real COGS and then update the Purchasing Order so the system will take the latest cost ...

is it a good practice to value the inventory based on the latest COGS?

MacPhotoBiker wrote:

I am actually a bit surprised that this has not been implemented into FA so far, since I believe it´s rather simple: All they would need is a couple of fields where one could put both label and amount. Then the total amount is calculated and distributed over the individual lines proportionally either by amount, quantities or just equally (I can´t think of any other distribution model currently).

we are all aware that this is a free open source project, so everything we get is a nice gift, but if we could express some wishes i also would like a more efficient way to handle the Landing Costs

many thanks

Hi Vdonatiello,
I am also neither accountant nor programmer :-)

I hope I can answer your questions:

Vdonatiello wrote:

we import goods almost every months, the ex-work price we pay to the supplier is almost the same (they usually change the Price List every 2 years), but the real cost of acquisition the goods change every time (fluctuating exchange rates, depending on the quantity, sometime we order 3 pallets sometime we order a full container, some cost is fixed per shipment regardless the quantity or the value, i.e. issuing the master bill of lading, some cost is based on value, i.e. custom duty, some cost is based on quantity, i.e. ocean freight based on weight) therefore every time the real Cost of Goods Sold is slightly different ...

do you have advice how to handle?

i am thinking to use excel sheet and calculate outside FA the real COGS and then update the Purchasing Order so the system will take the latest cost ...

I think all you need to do is to calculate the total amount of additional costs (shipping costs, customs etc.) and distribute it according to your preferences over the PO.

Example:
Your PO has the following two items:

Item1, 1 piece, $200
Item2, 1 piece, $800
Total PO: $1,000

Your additional costs are $100, which is 10 % of the PO. Then, you just need to increase every single PO line by 10 %:

Item1, 1 piece, $220
Item2, 1 piece, $880
Total PO: $1,100

Now, when you receive the goods into stock, the additional costs become part of your stock value. (Of course, you must not post these additional costs as expenses.)

Vdonatiello wrote:

is it a good practice to value the inventory based on the latest COGS?

If I understand correctly, you are asking if it´s correct to evaluate the entire existing inventory with the latest COGS. Example:

ItemA, current stock qty: 1 piece, current stock value (landed cost): $100

Then you purchase another item, let´s say landed cost $150, 1 piece

If you "value the inventory based on the latest COGS", then your new stock value would be:

ItemA, 2 pieces, stock value: 2*$150 (latest COGS) = $300.

I would say this only makes sense if for example you want to sell the inventory based on it´s current market value. For costing purposes, to me it looks wrong because you did not really have a cost of $300.
Even worse: When your latest COGS would be lower than the COGS of the existing value, you would basically depreciate stock value. But this is just my personal opinion.

Vdonatiello wrote:

we are all aware that this is a free open source project, so everything we get is a nice gift...

I totally agree, it´s amazing that such a great piece of software is made available for free.

MacPhotoBiker
--
www.justcorebusiness.com

Vdonatiello wrote:

we are all aware that this is a free open source project, so everything we get is a nice gift, but if we could express some wishes i also would like a more efficient way to handle the Landing Costs

FrontAccounting is pretty much community driven application, so topics like that have quite big influence on FA development smile.

I think the most apprioprate way to distribute landed costs is assigning them in proportion to item values in invoice, but another problem is where and how this mechanism  should be implemented in FA? Some costs which should be handled as landed costs (e.g. shipment) are often documented on separate invoice issued by another company. How you would see the mechanism which would allow landing costs distribution in this case?

Janusz

Hi Janusz,

thank you very much for your comment, it is great to see that FA is indeed an actively developed product, with the community actually having an influence. Great stuff, thank you very much.

Regarding your questions, I´d like to throw in my two cents. As I mentioned, I am neither a programmer nor an accountant, but based on my work experience I believe I can contribute a bit here. Please allow me a few comments.

itronics wrote:

I think the most apprioprate way to distribute landed costs is assigning them in proportion to item values in invoice...

I basically agree, proportioning the costs based on item values is probably the most widely used procedure. However, in order to keep it very flexible, I would suggest FA offers three different options as how to calculate the cost proportion:

Based on:
a) item value (as you suggested)
b) item quantity
c) number of invoice lines (e. g.: 4 lines, then every line receives 1/4th of the landed cost)

From my point of view this could be very easily implemented in one and the same function, something like this:

Function CostAllocationPercentagePerInvoiceLine()

If method ="item value" then
return line_value/ total_value

else

If method ="item quantity" then
return line_quantity/ total_quantity

else

If method="invoice_lines" then
return 1/total_number_of_invoice_lines

End If
End If
End If
End Function

itronics wrote:

...but another problem is where and how this mechanism  should be implemented in FA? Some costs which should be handled as landed costs (e.g. shipment) are often documented on separate invoice issued by another company. How you would see the mechanism which would allow landing costs distribution in this case?

You are precisely describing the problem. My thought is this: The process of converting costs to "landed costs", i. e. stock value, should happen as late as possible, because this is when most information is available. Also order quantities might differ from shipped quantities, and costs should be calculated based on the real stock. That's why I would suggest to do this cost allocation just in the very moment when receiving the goods into the warehouse. I could see one of the following scenarios:

a) Simplest solution: Add landed costs as one lump sum
When receiving goods into the warehouse (i. e. receiving the Purchase Order (PO)), FA could offer one single field where the user types in the total amount of all additional costs (same currency as the PO). In this case, these costs need to be calculated externally, this would typically happen in Excel. This would be a great improvement already.
It might happen that for example the shipping company did not yet provide the invoice for this particular invoice. In this case, an estimated value could be used. All the accountant would need to do is to post any difference between estimated and real invoice amount as expense (or income). That´s not "perfect", but much better than not incorporating the costs at all. And of course, that´s perfectly legal (at least in the countries I know, but one always needs to check locally).
Next to the field with the amount there should be a pull down menu that offers the different options as how to distribute the costs (by value, quantity or item line).

b) Keeping record of the different costs
In a more elaborate version FA could offer a separate page when receiving the goods, where all details about the costs being incorporated into stock value could be stored, e. g.:

Supplier, Invoice number, Invoice date, Description (e. g. shipment, or customs), and amount

The impact on stock value would obviously be the same, but this way it would be easier later to figure out what was posted into stock value. This could be extraordinarily helpful for example when a company is being audited, or simply if somebody wants to verify later if all was done properly.

On top of this, I would even recommend allowing to choose the currency for every invoice, and store the used exchange rate in the database.

Again, that's just my personal thoughts on this topic.

Thanks again for considering all this.

MacPhotoBiker
--
www.justcorebusiness.com

A 4th option to manually apportion the amount!

Could be, but I think this would not really be a "4th option", but rather an additional approach. The system I described always calculates a certain percentage for each line, and they always add up to 100 %.

To implement what you are suggesting, for each line in the PO there should be one additional field, something like "additional costs". Then, when receiving the goods, the sum of purchase amount and additional costs would be posted. Actually, I could see both systems working hand in hand at the same time. So if some costs could be related to only one or some of all purchased products, your approach would make sense. All other costs that are related to the entire purchase order would be distributed according to the system I described above.

MacPhotoBiker
--
www.justcorebusiness.com

Apportion costs to "N-1" items (till amount available) and let the "N"th item have the rest if still positive.

Allow me two questions:

What´s the business meaning behind this approach?

What proportion goes to each line?

To me it looks like that in this approach, the order of items would matter. Frankly, I don´t see the business application, but I might be wrong and I´d appreciate you could explain it a bit more detailed.

MacPhotoBiker
--
www.justcorebusiness.com

If there are many lines (yes the order of the lines would matter and a form field in each line would be needed which will take care of it), then we can apportion amounts in any way we choose like loading costs to larger value items or to rounded costs, etc., and possibly with some items not having any shipping costs at all (enter 0 value).

The "N-1" approach was to alleviate the need to manually compute the balance if the total was entered and only one line had the new field blank.

In my very personal opinion, this looks far too complicated to be implemented. In this particular case, I would rather calculate the costs per line externally (like in Excel), and then just type in the amounts in a simple field.

MacPhotoBiker
--
www.justcorebusiness.com

Hi All,
I would just like to express an opinion on "landed Cost".
According to most accounting standards, incoming Inventory should be valued at "landed cost"
itemized landed cost is the correct way to handle inventory from the “GAAP” perspective. Additionally, IRS Publication 538 states that "For merchandise purchased during the year, cost means the invoice price minus appropriate discounts plus transportation or other charges incurred in acquiring the goods. It can also include other costs that have to be capitalized under the uniform capitalization rules of section 263A of the Internal Revenue Code."

"Landed Cost" is the legally correct way to account for inventory and is also the best method for management purposes.
many commercial software packages now include some way to handle this issue.

for frontaccounting, when entering a supplier / service provider invoice, or making a payment by direct journal entry It should be possible to apportion it on a line by line basis between an expense account (for non "landed costs" invoice Items and a "cost of goods sold" Suspense account until the goods arrive.
On receipt of the goods received note, the balance of that suspense account is allocated according to the preferred method (weight, volume, quantity etc.) to each line of goods on the GRN.
Dimensions would also be a good way to keep track of all items related to a particular order for audit purposes.

Hi ctisystems
thank you for supporting our case and adding a legal component to it.

We can only hope and wish that FrontAccounting will one day include this essential feature.

MacPhotoBiker
--
www.justcorebusiness.com

ctisystems wrote:

Hi All,
I would just like to express an opinion on "landed Cost".
According to most accounting standards, incoming Inventory should be valued at "landed cost"
itemized landed cost is the correct way to handle inventory from the “GAAP” perspective. Additionally, IRS Publication 538 states that "For merchandise purchased during the year, cost means the invoice price minus appropriate discounts plus transportation or other charges incurred in acquiring the goods. It can also include other costs that have to be capitalized under the uniform capitalization rules of section 263A of the Internal Revenue Code."

"Landed Cost" is the legally correct way to account for inventory and is also the best method for management purposes.
many commercial software packages now include some way to handle this issue.

for frontaccounting, when entering a supplier / service provider invoice, or making a payment by direct journal entry It should be possible to apportion it on a line by line basis between an expense account (for non "landed costs" invoice Items and a "cost of goods sold" Suspense account until the goods arrive.
On receipt of the goods received note, the balance of that suspense account is allocated according to the preferred method (weight, volume, quantity etc.) to each line of goods on the GRN.
Dimensions would also be a good way to keep track of all items related to a particular order for audit purposes.

Finally!

As the guy who started the thread, there are a lot of apples being mixed with the oranges in this thread.

Landed cost is somehow getting mixed with Inventory Valuation. There are basically 3 methods of inventory valuation, First In - First Out (FIFO), Last In - First Out (LIFO) and Replacement Cost. As mentioned above, these are recognized by the IRS, and you can only change from on to another once every, I think, 5 or 7 years, in order to stop people from gaming the system during times of steep price changes.

Landed cost is well stated above, although some do allocate shipping based on weight, rather than a flat percentage across the invoice. memory chips have hardly any weight, but high value. But their actual percentage of a load of electronics could be 50%, while their weight is 2%.

Landed cost requires keeping a PO open until all related costs are received. As stated above, unless special costs such as VAT, GST, etc. in some countries must be broken out, everything goes to COGS or Inventory Value, including inbound shipping that many incorrectly call an expense.

Earlier versions of Peachtree and the more expensive Sage and other accounting packages allow posting the inventory, so the goods show in stock, but not FINALIZING the PO until all related costs are shown. For my UK operation it can be several weeks before getting an invoice from DHL for VAT and their processing fees. I'm sure others have a similar experience.

The point I'm trying to make here is simply related to Landed Cost.

How you decide to bring that into your Inventory Valuation, as far as average cost, FIFO, LIFO, etc. is an entirely different subject. My personal choice has always been Replacement Cost, but this can show a higher bottom line at year end.

Ideally, the accounting should use an Average Cost for COGS, considering the entire history of costs for that item, but show the FIFO, LIFO, RC value in Assets. They truly are two different fruits.

On my end, I have to say that I really tried with FrontAccounting, but there is no development whatsoever regarding Landed Costs, and I gave up.

I found a solution for me, it`s called "webERP", it makes it very easy to calculate and include the landed costs. One can create "shipments", and then include one or several Purchase Orders into this shipment. Simple, straight to the point, does what it promises.

Besides for my own purpose I´m a reseller and I now offer webERP hosting to my customers. Therefore, I have a demo installation, and if you are interested, just feel free to check it out. It´s a full version, you can try whatever you want. The login details are given on the login page:

https://www.justcorebusiness.com/demo/webERP/

Maybe this could also be "food for thought" for the FA guys. There is simply no alternative for the concept of Landed Costs, if you claim to be offering a professional accounting software.

MacPhotoBiker
--
www.justcorebusiness.com

25 (edited by pman 03/01/2013 12:25:45 am)

I have been reading this thread with great interest, and offer this as a possible way to implement “landed costs”.

This would have to happen on Purchase Orders so that stock gets the landed cost added. Purchase Orders are created as usual, but as landed costs (shipping, VAT, etc.) are incurred, the following mechanism connects them to the PO.

The Landed Costs for a PO are displayed in a popup window (similar to the the window that opens when clicking on an 'Order' link in the 'Customer Transactions' window). This window will have multiple lines to display each individual Landed Cost, 1 per line.

A “show Landed Costs” button will be added to the PO screen. This opens the Landed Costs popup window described above. An “Add Landed Cost Entry” button would be enabled. Landed Cost Entries would be special line items to enter landed costs information. There can be more than 1 “Landed Cost” entries, to address the needs specified by psonon:
“Yes, this is a concept foreign to those who have no use for it. It is far more a management tool than a "bookkeeping for tax purposes" general ledger entry. And there is far more than just shipping, there is VAT (I have businesses in China and the UK, as well as the US and VAT is a fact of life in the UK, as duty can be, also.) There are also costs such as drayage from port to warehouse and demurrage on the time the container is sitting on your property.
All of these need to calculated as costs of the particular item, not expenses down the COA, in order to tell what you are really making (and give a realistic markup / gross profit) per item. “
Landed Cost Entries would be recorded in a separate table. Each row in that table would have the following indexes:
* Landed Cost ID (a unique ID for the entry)
* PO ID (to connect the LC entry to the Purchase Order)

Each Landed Cost table row would also have the following user visible fields:
* Description (type: simple text)
* Amount (type: currency)
* Currency Type
* Date
* Type (dropdown, to select the type of allocation; quoting MaxPhotoBiker:
“However, in order to keep it very flexible, I would suggest FA offers three different options as how to calculate the cost proportion:
Based on:
a) item value (as you suggested)
b) item quantity
c) number of invoice lines (e. g.: 4 lines, then every line receives 1/4th of the landed cost)
d) weight (suggested by ctisystems)
e) manual (suggested by apmuthu)
* A “Linked Invoice” field to point to another invoice/PO, if that particular Landed Cost came from a separate invoice (there will need to be some back end code to make sure that a linked invoice doesn't end up being counted twice, once as “Cost of Goods Sold”, and once for the landed cost).

All line items on an invoice will have a Landed Costs button that opens the Landed Costs popup window.  When the popup is opened from a Line Item, the Landed Costs entries will have a check box next to them. The user can check any and all Landed Cost entries that apply to that line item. When the popup window is closed (via a “Save” button), the system will link each selected Landed Cost entry with the Line Item.

This gives a (hopefully) easy to use interface to enter multiple landed costs data per invoice, and select which line items are included in each Landed Cost.

The Landed Costs calculation would work like this (remember, I'm not a programmer) Lets say there are 10 line items (1 - 10), and 3 Landed Cost entries (a, b, and c). The calculation gets the “Landed Cost amount” and the “Allocation Type” from landed cost entry (a), then it finds all of the  line items from the invoice that have “landed cost line item (a)” enabled, and it allocates the landed cost for each line item. If “landed cost line item (a)” is allocated by number of lines, and 4 of the 10 regular line items have landed cost line item (a) enabled, then it allocates 25% of the “Landed Cost amount” to each line.
Then the calculation gets the “Landed Cost amount” and the “Allocation Type” from landed cost line item (b), then it finds all of the regular line items from the PO that have “landed cost line item (b)” enabled, and it allocates the landed cost for each line item. If “landed cost line item (b)” is allocated by weight, and 3 of the 10 regular line items have landed cost line item (b) enabled, then it sums the weight of the line items from the PO that have “landed cost line item (b)” enabled, and allocates  “Landed Cost amount” to each line based on it's percentage of the total weight.

And so on...

The programmers can figure out the calculations for the various types of Landed Costs, where the calculations get stored, and how to link the various records.

Regards.