Topic: Bank deposits - print out?

I am wondering if it is possible to get a print out of the bank deposit?

How can I go back in FA to see the list of bank deposits and be abel to look at them?

Also, if there is a print out, will it list the company who wrote the check?  As the checks are listed, it only the GL account, the amount and the dimension, but how will one know which customer write the check?

Joe

Re: Bank deposits - print out?

Isn't it easier to check it yourself than wait for reply on forum?
Yes, of course it  possible. There is both bank account inquiry and pdf report (Bank Statement) which list both deposits and payments. If you register cheques/cash/transfers as customer payment you will have always debtors name displayed in reports.
Janusz

smokinjo wrote:

I am wondering if it is possible to get a print out of the bank deposit?

How can I go back in FA to see the list of bank deposits and be abel to look at them?

Also, if there is a print out, will it list the company who wrote the check?  As the checks are listed, it only the GL account, the amount and the dimension, but how will one know which customer write the check?

Joe

I don't think the bank statement report addresses Joe's problem. I think what he wants is a list of the cheques he is depositing when he goes to the bank to make a deposit of his hard earnt takings...

Normally, that would have columns for
Drawer, *Bank, *Branch, Amount

I don't think we capture the data marked witth an * in FA though

Perhaps companion reports to the bank statement called:
"Bank Payments Listing" and "Bank Deposits Listing"  which just listed the appropriate transactions with a total would go a fair way towards addressing Joe's problems.

Joe, furthermore I think you would need another bank account for your "Till" and transfer the balance from the Till bank account to your real bank account when you make a deposit.

[b]RodW[/b]
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Ups,sorry. Maybe I missed the subject. I don't know requirements for cheques processing, simply this type of payment is barely used in our region.

Janusz

itronics wrote:

Isn't it easier to check it yourself than wait for reply on forum?
Yes, of course it  possible. There is both bank account inquiry and pdf report (Bank Statement) which list both deposits and payments. If you register cheques/cash/transfers as customer payment you will have always debtors name displayed in reports.
Janusz

Hello Janus,

You asked me why I did not check myself?  Well, I was experimenting and ran into a wall.  I am still learning the software, so as not being a guru quite yet, I asked a question.  I am sorry that you thought I jumped the gun and went to the forums.

What I am looking for is each and every time I make a batch deposit, that I get an actual print out of the items deposited and by whom. (rodw) reworded exactly what I wanted to say.

I tried a few sampel deposits in FA, and when I clicked "OK", the next screen said in so many words: completed.

Rod mentions a till.  All I can say, is that I used the software EdgeERP (fork of WebERP) and I did exactly as I stated with out a till the you suggest.  I made a "bank deposit" and it went into the account, an I got a print out of the entire transaction.

Is there an option to get a PDF print out of the transaction including all the items deposited?

Joe

Hello Joe,
The application  interface is rather consistent, so your question appeared trivial to me (sorry again).
Currently there is no report defined for any single bank transaction, and this is not the only lacking report in FA, I'm afraid.  If there is no print link on final page after entering transaction, you can assume the report is not available (yet). Also all existing reports are available via common reporting interface, so when in doubt you can also check here to be sure.

Janusz

Glad I could help clarify this issue.

Joe, my thinking was that if you ran another bank account as a "Till" you would add all deposits your customers make to that account. Then you could run the currently non-existent Bank deposit report on the till. When you made a deposit to your bank which would satisfy their requirements and then create a transfer from the Till to your bank account which would enable the real bank account deposits to be reconciled. Still a bit of a workaround, but pretty simple and workable.

I do something similar with a Paypal Account and I might add the ability in FA to add a bank fee at the time of the transfer is a great asistance. Previously (different ssystems), I had to post a payment for paypal fees.

Itronics, I think the need for a bank listing report mechnism is still required to deal with debit card and credit card transactions. If you have a terminal from your bank to accept these payments electronically, they will be consolidated into one depost on the bank account. Most systems I have used have the concept of a payment type to suport this. So when you receive a payment you set the payment type and it is consolidated accordingly when posted to the bank to simplify reconciliation.

In my case, I have only written about 2 cheques in 4 months of trading and all of my deposits have been via Paypal or Direct deposit.

I might add that one system I used also had the ability to split off deposits so you could post one figure for say a week's sales and then split off the daily bank deposits from this gross amount when your book keeper came in for his weekly visit smile Thiswas the most awesome feature!

[b]RodW[/b]
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

rodw wrote:

Glad I could help clarify this issue.

Joe, my thinking was that if you ran another bank account as a "Till" you would add all deposits your customers make to that account. Then you could run the currently non-existent Bank deposit report on the till. When you made a deposit to your bank which would satisfy their requirements and then create a transfer from the Till to your bank account which would enable the real bank account deposits to be reconciled. Still a bit of a workaround, but pretty simple and workable.

I do something similar with a Paypal Account and I might add the ability in FA to add a bank fee at the time of the transfer is a great asistance. Previously (different ssystems), I had to post a payment for paypal fees.

Itronics, I think the need for a bank listing report mechnism is still required to deal with debit card and credit card transactions. If you have a terminal from your bank to accept these payments electronically, they will be consolidated into one depost on the bank account. Most systems I have used have the concept of a payment type to suport this. So when you receive a payment you set the payment type and it is consolidated accordingly when posted to the bank to simplify reconciliation.

In my case, I have only written about 2 cheques in 4 months of trading and all of my deposits have been via Paypal or Direct deposit.

I might add that one system I used also had the ability to split off deposits so you could post one figure for say a week's sales and then split off the daily bank deposits from this gross amount when your book keeper came in for his weekly visit smile Thiswas the most awesome feature!

Rod,

We can already add a Bank Fee at the time of Transfer, look again.

You just pointed me at something that was bugging me with my Credit Cards.. Customer Payment != Bank Deposits.

Reading about I just realized that the account is not really non-existent, it is your "Merchant Account"

So run the payments into the Merchant Account and then transfer the Batch Deposit (w/Bank Fees) and you're set.

Tom

tom wrote:

Rod,

We can already add a Bank Fee at the time of Transfer, look again.

You just pointed me at something that was bugging me with my Credit Cards.. Customer Payment != Bank Deposits.

Reading about I just realized that the account is not really non-existent, it is your "Merchant Account"

So run the payments into the Merchant Account and then transfer the Batch Deposit (w/Bank Fees) and you're set.

Tom

Sorry. I might not have been clear but I thought I said "Fees was a great feature" It really makes adding Paypal deposits easy. And yes, I do run a separate bank account for Paypal and add the fees at time of receipt entry.

If you run credit card facilities however, the banks over here charge your fees monthly in one transaction at month end. I think you would do it the same way and only enter the fee to your real bank account when the transaction hit yor real bank account.

When I say one system allowed you to split a bank account, picture a situation that you had $1k of sales per day (mon-fri). That allowed you to enter receipts of $5k for  the whole week and split it into the 5 transacations when reconciling. There were times where this was extremely useful. From memory, I devised an automated system where I could import a week's worth of receipts from the front office system into the GL and then split each bank deposit off the total when reconciling.

The FA solution using separate accounts is still a workaround to the real process. A good bank deposit listing with a set of payment types (eg, cash, cheque, credit card, Amex etc) applied when each receipt is entered would be superior would mean that the need to manually select the Credit card bank account and then make the subsequent transfers would disappear.

[b]RodW[/b]
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

I think this problem with being able to handle batched deposits is going to be the reason we cannot use FrontAccounting.
We accept payments from our customers by cash, cheque, card payments and direct debit. For all of these payment types the customer payments are batched together and banked as one single deposit.  With cheques the bank asks for a maximum of 50 cheques per deposit, with other payment methods there is no limit to the number of customer payments which are batched together into one deposit (although it is very rarely more than 50).
It would be absurd to write a single paying-in slip for each customer payment, and in any case for card paymets and direct debits, we don't have the option of doing this. So an accounting system that cannot handle these deposits is not going to be any use to us.
We are currently using quickbooks, which we have to move away from in order to improve the integration with other software which is integral to the way we handle sales. I am by no means a fan of quick books but it is easy to deal with bank deposits - the customer payments are posted to an account - undeposited funds - then there is a simple interface for making up the actual deposit that goes into the bank.
I am sad to have to make this decision as FrontAccounting seemed in many ways to do exactly what we needed and I could see how to do the integration that we needed.
Best wishes.
John

I think this problem with being able to handle batched deposits is going to be the reason we cannot use FrontAccounting.

Well, probably I do not understand the problem stated here. When your customers pay in cash the money is registered on cash account, then you can make single transfer form cash to bank account for all the deposits. So, where is the problem?

The only real problem I see  in sales payments is that for Direct Invoice you can only use single target money account (cash or bank account). Therefore if your customer want to pay e.g. with cash and cheque in parts, you have to register the two partial deposits using Customer Payment page twice. This is performance lost on data entry, but anyway this can be done,  and such multipart payments are rather rare.

Janusz

john wrote:

We are currently using quickbooks, which we have to move away from in order to improve the integration with other software which is integral to the way we handle sales. I am by no means a fan of quick books but it is easy to deal with bank deposits - the customer payments are posted to an account - undeposited funds - then there is a simple interface for making up the actual deposit that goes into the bank.

Could you try one more time to explain what you do with Quickbooks. If you cannot do it with FA, it's illegal ... ;-))

What is preventing you from creating in FA the account "Undeposit funds" (an asset account), acknowledge in it all customer payments,  then when ready, transfer from "Undeposit account" one global amount to the bank account ?

Gaston

Thanks Gaston

I like creative people smile

/Joe

Thanks for those replies. You may well be right about setting up the asset account undeposited funds and then doing the bank deposits from there as transfers.

The one thing that I would need is to be able to print out a listing of that transfer.  The bank requires us to provide them a listing of the cheques in a single deposit (cheque number, payer and amount) and it would be very tedious to have to hand write this.

Think it is possible that I have been confused by some of this previous thread as it seemed to be saying that we couldn't do just what we needed to do.

I will investigate this further before making any firm decision. and let you know the result.

Thank you again for the helpful replies.

John

Hi All,

It is really a crucial requirement to have a listing of the cheques in a single deposit cheque number, payer and amount.

But in FA we do not capture 1. Bank 2. cheque number as separate fields.
While transferring amount to bank from undeposited account. We would again need a listing.

Thanks,

Chaitanya