Topic: Dot Matrix Printing

If i print the pdf to dot matrix printer (for carbon copy), it realy is very slow. THe pdf doesnt utilize the internal font of dot matrix printer.
I want the users who need printing, just click the print button then it will print to the default printer (with out generating pdf) just like the old days with clipper / foxpro. Does anybody know any php class that can print directly to a printer?

Re: Dot Matrix Printing

Yes, we have implemented sending reports directly to network printer, or local networked printer on user computer if there is installed print server with lpd support . It is available form CVS in unstable branch and will be included in FA 2.1. But as far as I understand your problem has nothing to do with direct printing. All reports in FA are produced in pdf format, so using matrix printer involve graphical printing. Matrix printers are slow in graphic mode, so I do not see any way to have fast printing in your configuration.

Janusz

So, I guess i have to modified the source a lil bit so it won't generate to pdf, but directly to printer.

First, dot matrix printer are still in use for carbon copy (multiply paper), which can't be done by inkjet / laser printer.
Second, I don't have to spend for new printers... smile

Y. Shaka

Yes, of course you can make new, completely different implementation of reporting module.  But you  must be prepared for spending a lot of time to do this and keep in mind that you can only send reports to printer via network interface. There is no way to print directly to printer port from browser.

Janusz

How about using PHP printer functions (http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.printer.php)?
They can send direct commands to printer. The extension is for Windows only, but somebody can make it work for Linux also via CUPS.

Albert

FA has built in support for printing to network printer available via lpd service, so there is no need for use win specific php extensions. Netowrk printing service on port 515 should work the same on Linux and Win.
Janusz