Topic: default tax group

I would like the default tax group to be tax exempt.  I have 2 groups:  tax, tax exempt.  Right now tax is the default.  How or where do I change it?  I know that if I just alter the tax_group table and make tax exempt the first entry, then that shows up as the default, but then I have a bunch of customers who would have the wrong entry in the tax_group_id field.  What is my best solution?

Re: default tax group

I guess you can change the description and select which rates or none on the group and save.
Change so Tax Exempt is first (without tax types) and tax with your normal tax type.
They are sorted by id.
I don't think this should give any sideeffect. But you will have to setup the new groups on customers/suppliers and elsewere you are using the tax group.
Maybe you can batch update your customers in phpMyAdmin. You will probably have to use a temporary value first. Something like this.
If the former type was 1 and you want it to be 2, then first use f.i. 3 (otherwise you will all 2's)
UPDATE 0_customers SET tax_group = 3 WHERE tax_group=1;
then take the 2's to 1. and finally take the 3's to 2. I hope you understand what I mean.

On the final transacftions the tax types should be the same. We do not same the tax groups on any document only tax types.
For safety make first a test on the Training Co. to be sure it works ok.

/Joe

Thanks, Joe

Yes, I figured out tax groups were sorted by id and have done the changes to  a table the way you suggested a number of times to 'fix' other tables and some times even spreadsheets.

I thought it might be possible to just change the sort order on the tax group was why I asked.

Just a tip for you here. I ave added a period to some of my default groups so the sort to the top of the list. More for Customer groups. eg. I use ".Retail" not "Retail"

[b]RodW[/b]
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Thanks, rodw

I have done something similar, using A_xxx, B_yyy etc;

This does would not apply to the tax group problem as it is sorted on id.

ed