Topic: Item category is not sorted correctly

On the item maintenance & item categories pages:

Item categories are sorted only on category_id rather than on description. This is not critical, but as categories grow it becomes quite unwieldy.

When I bulk loaded item categories they were in alpha order, so the problem didn't appear until I added a new category, which should have appeared somewhere in the middle of the list, but the category_id was of course the next available number at the bottom of the list.

I haven't checked all the other places where category is used, but on the direct invoice page, items are CORRECTLY grouped within categories which are sorted by description.

Re: Item category is not sorted correctly

Hi,

I noticed this and tried to figure some way of sorting on description as I have nearly 1000 categories. We have some 100,000 products which we are entering, but the lack of sort order on category and or search fro a category is a bit of a nuisance.

Any solution is sight? I'm using version 2.2.11

Hi InfoComm,

i am reading your post and i noticed you have used 1000 categories ...

i am going to upload my items and categories, there are not as much as yours, i used to have my items under category and sub-category and sub-sub-category ... now that it is not possible with FA we have only 1 level of category ... i suppose we need to be smart and find a workaround and experiment a new way of define category ...

since you are dealing with some many i am sure u already had some idea ... if you dont mind to share how you have organized your category i'd appreciated

many thanks

Same here, I support the idea of sorting the category based on description of the category.

1. it is unsightly from user perspective
2. you need to keep scrolling up & down just to find the right category.

AJAX Anyone?

apmuthu wrote:

AJAX Anyone?

sorry for the silly question, what does it mean?

AJAX is a means of dynamically changing a portion of the page (in this case, items in a category) according to some other field selection (in this case, category).

Example

Sorry for reviving an old thread and writing non-helpful comment. The purpose is just to bump this bug (?) so as to remind the developers.

Currently using version 2.3.16

No problem. Item Categories table will be sorted by description since next minor release.

Janusz