Topic: item entry in SO

2.3RC3 with item search turned on.
When I type in a fragment  in the item code box and hit either tab or enter, focus goes to item description displaying the first item in the list that matches the fragment. Works fine, but then if that is not the right item I have to click to get the dropdown to pick the right item.

What would be nice is when tab/enter is hit, the dropdown is displayed directly, saves one keystroke for the data entry person.  Is this hard or a waste of coder time?

It seems that would be a good way to do all selections from searches, but I am pretty lazy and hate to have to move the mouse much.

Re: item entry in SO

Unfortunately there is no javascript interface which would automatically open select list, but there is no need for mouse use. It depends on browser type, but in FireFox you can open select list using Alt-DownArrow combination, so you can leave your mouse apart smile.

Janusz

Re: item entry in SO

I didn't know about the alt dwn arrow, but that really is not easier as still additional keystroke and that was the goal to make fewer keystrokes.

If there is no js interface to do it, then that is that  smile   (even though I thought you were magic and could do anything asked for)

Thanks