Topic: How to add a sales type / what is the difference between type and list

Okay I have read that sales type is another term for price list, but from what I can tell this is not true. A price is a list of all items in inventory with a special price and sales type is merely a type of sale with a percentage taken off or added on. Nowhere do I see a list. The difference being with a price list you can add 10% item 1, 12% on item 2, Subtract $3.05 from item 3, etc. . . Most companies I have worked with have multiple lines and even classes of items within the lines and do not have the same markup on all of there items nor do they apply the same discount to every item based on a price list or level as it is sometimes referred to. For example retail markup may be 40% on most items, but some 80% on others, now on the items that have 80% mark up you you have give a 60% discount for wholesale, but you cannot afford to do that for the entire wholesale sales type, because you would loose your shirt on the items that only had 40% markup in the first place.
So my question is two fold
1.) Is there a way to add actually price list instead of sales types?
2.) If not and I suspect there isn't, how do I add a sales type? I can see how it is stored in the db, but don't see how to add it from the application.
I have been looking at version 2.2.11

Re: How to add a sales type / what is the difference between type and list

I think this is only matter of naming. Price list is normally related to sales type. Nevermind.
You can entry actual prices for Items& Invenotry/Sales Pricing. There is also multilevel guess system for not defined prices, but you are right - finally the price is not directly related to cost of purchase, but eventually to price in default (base) pricelist.

Janusz

@itronics Do I understand correctly that you came to the same conclusion that I did?

Well, I'm not sure what is your conclusion, so I don't know whether I agree or not smile.
I would like to avoid words meaning discussions, but for us price list and sales type is merely the same: this is set of prices used in company for some sales segment, together with algorithms used for price calculation when exact price is not set for given item.
As a reply to your question 2: you can add sales type in Sales/Sales Types, and entry prices for just created sales type in Items&Inventory/Sales Pricing. Is this what you are asking for?
Janusz

I am also a bit unsure of how pricing is accomplished.
Suppose:
item1 sells retail 10, wholesale 7.5, by full pallet, 6.5
item2 sells retail 150, wholesale 175, by full pallet 170
item3 sells retail 50, and now at clearance price 25
item4 sells retail 10, and clearance 1

How is this entered into FA?

Many businesses do pricing like this, some even have special pricing for Christmas, summer, winter and are not simply % markups or downs as margin varies widely for various items.  We sell some items at only 10% markup, but some we can do 40 or even 50%.

I was thinking that there needs to be a way to have multiple prices per item and some how by customer as some customers just get better prices.

Thanks ed10, now someone is seeing my point.
@itronics I checked Sales/Maintenance/Sales Types. You can add a sales type, but the mark up for the entire item list has to be the same. ed10 and I are pointing out that any company selling multiple lines can reasonably expect that they are going to want to have some items marked up higher than others. For example if I sold car stereos it might look like this.
JVC stereos +25% markup
JVC accessories +40% markup
Kenwood Stereos +18% markup
Kenwood accessories +30% markup
Cable, wire and other install materials +50% markup
This can be accomplished by entering the prices for each item, but now we need to consider wholesale and commercial customers.
With sales types you can simply make a wholesale sales type that gives a discount off retail, but it has to be the same for every item in inventory. Since you don't have the same markup for every item in inventory you don't want the same discount for  every item in invetory. In this example
a Kenwood stereo that cost 100 would retail for 118 a 15% wholesale discount would make the sale price 100.30. That is not reasonable!
If a JVC accessory cost 100 it would retail for 140 a 15% wholesale discount would make the sale price 119. That is reasonable. Hopefully this example makes it clear that having a sales type that uses one percentage added or subtracted from retail is a recipe for disaster in most business types.
Having a sales type arrangement that uses a single percentage to add to the cost, will keep you from loosing money on a sale, but still prevent you from making as much money as you can.
Since we are all in business to make as much money as we can, I think I should say the only way to do that is to have price list NOT sales types. A true price list is an actual list of every single item, with an actual price or percentage of the cost associated with that item alone not the entire list. If a company intelligently groups its customers there will only be a handful of groups and a list for each group. It really  isn't that hard to manage in the accounting package we currently use. FA does many things better than this other package, but this particular stumbling block is a deal breaker. I am adding this to the list of items I have to change, before FA can be feasible for our company. Hopefully this would become part of the core FA application at some point, but if I can make it happen in a module rather than changing the core files I will give it back to the community.
-Jason

Under Sales->Manage Customer there is a pull down menu "Sales Type/Price List"

That pull down is a complete price list for all products.

These price lists are created under Sales->Sales Types
Once created you can edit the per item prices under Items and Inventory->Sales Pricing

I looked at the factor field in the Sales type and it seems to be used to automatically generate
a price based upon the Base Price using that factor if there is no Sales Pricing defined.
If there IS a Sales Pricing price entered it will use it (and ignore the factor)

You should be able to create a price list with the factor = 1.00 (100%) and then edit the
prices as you see fit under Items/Inventory -> Sales pricing

It is actually a helpful shortcut, if you know you can offer 5% off of any product you can use
a factor of 0.95, now if you have some items that you want to make 45% off you have to enter
that price by hand.

Any prices manually entered will have to be manually updated when prices change.

Tom

Jason, I understand constraints you explained and this is somewhat obvious: nobody want to sell items below the costs. But in both your posts you have not mentioned about ItemandInventory/Sales Prices menu option, so I guess you simple overlooked it.
In short words logics behind prices system in FA:
. You can set exact price for every item/pricelist pair;
. Customer has one pricelist selected as default;
. When exact price is not set for given item/pricelist the price is calculated from base company pricelist.

I hope Tom has explained all this better than me, so maybe now it is more clear for you.

Janusz

I tried that, I added a sales_type clearance and set a clearance price for an item.  Created a SO using the new pricing. The only way I could get the price of the clearance item was to change the sales_type to clearance.  That indeed does give the clearance price for the clearance item.  Then when I added a 2nd item it gave me a clearance price but that item is not a clearance item for today, clearance starts tomorrow for it.  For this customer he should get the wholesale price today, I don't see anyway to make the 2nd item price wholesale since if I change the sales type both prices change.  My problem is I can't figure out how to pick the item price by sales type for a particular line item in a SO.  This needs to be line by line (item by item). If I try to edit a line item and change the sales type the other lines are change as well.

Am I not doing something I need to do?

@Tom
That  makes since now.
'Under Sales->Manage Customer there is a pull down menu "Sales Type/Price List"'
This is what I was missing.
Now I have another question. If I edit the prices for every item using this system, will the custom pricing be effective for the sales type or only for that customer using that sales type?
@itronics I think we just had a disconnect
@ed10 I too do not see how you can use two price list (aka sales types) on a single sales order. I can see giving a clearance price to a customer for one item, but only by changing the price here
Under Sales->Manage Customer there is a pull down menu "Sales Type/Price List"
This would be absolutely chaotic to manage on a large scale. I definitely see your concern and hope that this has already been addressed and we simply need the right person to read your question.

@jason_salis Well, I have read the thread and have done my best to help you understand how the program works. If you think I'm not right person to read it - it  is not a  problem, at least not for me. Good luck.

Janusz

@ed10 In FA price list is related to transaction as a whole, and not the single item in transaction, so you are right - there is no way to use multiply price lists on the same transaction. You can consider this as an issue, but it depends on type of business. I guess you would like to have sales type selectable per line item?
Janusz

Yes, Janusz, I think that would do it. I think that many businesses would need this capability as most have variable pricing for items. Along with that change, it would be very nice to have a pre-built report to list out the prices.  That way when, for example, a clearance price list is created, it could be easily checked. 

I believe you guys do a fantastic job on this accounting system.  It is extremely difficult app to develop as you have to consider the various laws/customs for various countries, write clean mistake free code, make the screens look nice and get the whole thing usable by non-tech folks. 

From what I have read on the forum, most of the posters are truly trying to improve FA. Of course some things are possible and done easily and some either difficult or impossible, but that feedback to you is useful since it keeps you in touch with users and the business community.

Thanks
ed10

@Jason - I will call it a Price List - If you edit a Price List it changes the price for all customers assigned to that Price List. You could have 1 price list for each customer, or have 3 different price lists and pick the price list based upon the customer's volume, negotiating skills, etc

@itronics: Sounds like Ed wants dynamic special pricing based on date, stock levels etc. FA can't do that, but on a Line by Line item you can change the price or set the discount.

@ed One way I could see to support this kind of pricing was if we were to expand the Sales type to include a Group of Price lists. For example the Sales type could retain the Price Factor to handle the default price (based on the Base Price List) and then an ordered list of price lists, if the item is not found in the First list, the second one is checked, etc If it is found you are done, if it was not found in any then use the Base Price * factor as it does now.

It might take a new table or a new field in an existing table but with a little bit of work it could be done and would be a great contribution to the project!

tom

@joe

Adding a table of price lists is an very nice solution and probably more difficult to do.  I would be happy to just be able to chose which price type to use for an item on a line by line basis.

I would like to thank you guys, for all the important suggestions. We are busy now with final 2.3 release preparation, which is planned at the beginning of December. We will consider changes in this area just after the release, when we have more time and less constraints on database scheme changes.

Janusz

Sorry about the delay getting back to you all.
@itronics I think you are doing a fine job, with FA and the forum and especially appreciate your time on the forum. For whatever reason, this go around I was having trouble getting my exact concern across, or maybe you did understand, but I wasn't understanding your response. At any rate Tom drove this one home for me and I appreciate both of your efforts.
@Tom I think you are right that would be an excellent contribution.
@ed10 I agree I would be happy to be able to select sale type on a line by line basis, though now that I am aware of all the capabilities FA already has in this area, I see how I can get by with what it already does.

I will likely revisit this after I get some more important projects completed. For now I think I will just get by with the existing functionality.

An interesting discussion, but it seems to me the example with the pallet is mixing Retail/Wholesale pricing with volume discounts.

Maybe the addition of volume discounts should be put on the agenda. Maybe a product/sales group pair has another table(s) with entries like:
qty 0-100  $120
qty 101-500 $100
qty 501-1000 $90
qty 1000-99999 $80

Of course the existing functionality around % or $ could still apply.

[b]RodW[/b]
Brisbane, QLD, Australia