Topic: Could we have 2 fiscal years active?

It is quite common for accountants to have 2 fiscal years active before we close the first year for auidt.

Could FA allow this instead of switching back and forth for entering transactions for last year and then to this year?

Thanks in advance a lot!

Re: Could we have 2 fiscal years active?

This has been restricted to one year due to safety. We had to limit entrance to only one fiscal year at a time. Users forgot to switch fiscal year and entered on the wrong year.

/Joe

If there are two different users in the system, could they respectively enter transactions in two different years at the same time?

Pls advise!

No, when you change the Fiscal Year in Company Setup this is the Global Fiscal Year for the Company.

/Joe

5 (edited by thhui 06/03/2010 02:25:53 pm)

As an accountant, I highly recommend FA-Development Team to switch to 2-Fiscal years mode
as this is vital and necessary for multii-users, multi-localtion, multi-period entres.

Especailly during the year-end cut-off time.

If we just control it to one year, other users might not aware this and will complain for errors which are unnecessary.
For safety, you can give the superadmin the right to temporarily shut down some period so that no one could change it without the permission of superadmin.

Many contemporary propietary accounting softwares already grant at least 2 years for theirs customers now, like MYOB, peachtree.

The extreme case on one fiscal year input restriction is that
it only allows a month input for safety purpose.

This would bother the superadmin to open this fiscal month every changing of month while others cannot but wait for the superadmin to switch months for input of every other month's activities.

This is totally ridiculous!

Hey, man, take it easy smile

Maybe we can get some input from others here?

/Joe

8 (edited by thhui 06/04/2010 03:40:51 pm)

But my case really happens in the beginning month of the following fiscal year.

It is practical issues rather than safety issue!!!

I like multi year entry, maybe it could be a setting were you could make active the years that you need.

I agree with thhui

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."  - Aristotle.

joe wrote:

Hey, man, take it easy smile

Maybe we can get some input from others here?

/Joe

I also agree it would be useful to have more than one year active.

That being said, perhaps it is a matter of permissioins, whereby only a superuser could access the previous fiscal year end, and all others could only access the current year end?

This would allow for year end adjustments without having to resort to posting to retained earnings.

One other way that perhaps this could be addressed is to allow for a 13 period year. This means that all regular items would be posted as normal, and YE adjustments would be posted in the 13th period. Again, this would be permission based.

Thoughts?

FWIW

My preference would be to have a current year and the option to have the previous year open.  If you attempt to post anything to the previous year, then access should perhaps be role-based, but in any case it should generate a warning.

W

Well, I hear you guys.

I will create a special allowance to access non closed fiscal years. This will be implemented in release 2.3. If you have this permission you will be able to create transactions on all years that are not closed.

/Joe

This has now been implemented in release 2.3. If you have the same access as creating/modifying fiscal years, you will also have access to enter transactions on non closed years.

The Wiki will later be updated when 2.3 ships.

/Joe

Thanks joe a lot although it is not exactly what I suggest before.

This modification only allows some special persons to do what I think should only be allowed as the SuperAdmin.

This seems too much for just inputting day-to-day routine bookkeepers during the beginning months of the following year.

This makes me feel insecure if I allow them to have this authority.

I only ask for 24 editing periods but this would mean more than 24 periods.

Could I ask for just 24 editing periods instead?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Or I suggest we should have a cut-off date (assigned by superadmin) so that no one could enter transactions before that date.

I am afraid that this is not possible by the way FA is designed. What we can do, is to replace the access-code to SA_MULTIFISCALYEARS. We will then create a new access code and you can give the right in the access-level setup.
When you are ready with the fiscal year editing, you can remove this right again.

/Joe

Joe:

Thanks once again for a magnificent response and quick implementation.

I know that one can't always implement everyone's wishes due to technical reasons, and your solution allows for a work around for all.

Thanks again... this makes life a whole lot easier for many!

My opinion: why don't we let it like it is now: there is one selected fiscal year.

But, if someone makes a transaction on a not closed fiscal year, but not on the selected fiscal year, then a warning message would ask the person to confirm that he really wants to make a transaction in that opened but not selected fiscal year.

Then there would be no accidental entry and we would have the flexibility.

Gaston

Current situation is that we cannot but change the selected fiscal year in order to have the transaction entered in open-but-not-select period.

If it is one-user mode, it is all right.
But with multiple-users, it is annoying and frustrated.
It is just like you have to reboot every time you change setting in your linux system in order to have its installation complete.
You know what I mean. You must wait!!!!