Topic: Writing off a bad debt

I was wondering if anyone had a procedure for writing off a bad debt from a customer under FrontAccounting. I know I can make a journal entry to a bad debt expense account from Accounts receivable, but that doesn't take care of the customer balance in the reports.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Writing off a bad debt

Well I hope this is not a regular ocurrence for you. I think the easiest way would be to either make a payment and journal the writeoff from the bank account to the bad debt expense account.

Maybe also consider creating a bad debt writeoff item so you can raise a credit against the customer.

[b]RodW[/b]
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. I do bookbinding and I don't take payment until the job is complete. Sometimes the customer decides (probably after a tongue lashing from the spouse) that they can buy a new book cheaper than fixing the old one (which is true). I can generally sell the old book  and reduce the loss, but it is a danger of doing business this way.

ephraim wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had a procedure for writing off a bad debt from a customer under FrontAccounting. I know I can make a journal entry to a bad debt expense account from Accounts receivable, but that doesn't take care of the customer balance in the reports.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Need guideline from moderators.

Chaitanya

Hi Joe, Janusz,

Please correct if I got this wrong.

We may use credit note transaction for writing off bad debts.
Credit Note Type - Items written off
Write off the cost of the items to - Bad Debts A/c

Thanks

Chaitanya

I'm not accountant, by for me crediting seems to be good solution. Plus placing the customer account on hold smile.
Janusz