Topic: Can Dimension handle this!

Hello Joe,
i have read a little about dimension and I want to ask if dimension can handle this aspect of my accounting

We have an head office and 3 branches. When we get supplies, we send goods to these 3 branches/Outlets to be sold. Now there are expenses these outlets incur and we want this expenses to be deducted from the sales in that outlets. then whatever is balanced is transfered to the head office as income from that outlet. Can Dimension handle this. if yes, how do i go about it.

thanks.

popsicles.

Re: Can Dimension handle this!

Yes, you just create 3 dimensions with the name of the branches. Then you can put these dimensions on the supplier and/or change when creating the supplier invoice. The same thing when creating sales invoices. Put dimension on the customer and/or sales invoice.

Then you can make GL reports filtered by dimensions.

/Joe

Hello Joe,
thanks for your reply. it is like i am getting close to solving my problems.
I enabled dimension on my company setup to 1. is that correct? I now went to create the three branches as three dimensions.
My question is this:
Do I also create the headoffice as a dimension also?
All goods must come into the headoffice before they are transferred to the branches. how do I receive these goods into the headoffice and how do I inturn transfer them to the branches which are now dimensions?
Please help.

Thanks

Popsicles12.

All transactions are going into the headoffice automatically. By setting a dimension on the transaction, it is used to filter out the profit/loss for the dimension. If you do not select dimension when taking a report you will get the profit/loss for the entire company.

You can play a little with this on the Training Co. before you use your own company.

/Joe

Hello Joe,
Thanks for the quick reply. I am a little confused because i do not understand how the various dimension handles their sales and from what stock.
My question is this:
All stock we purchase must first get to the headoffice after which these stock and now distributed in smaller quantities to the other outlets(branches). How do i allocate stock to the other branches using dimension. and hw do i record expenses in the various location against their sales using dimension.
sorry if my question is a little unexpected.
thanks.

popsicles12.

Ah, I see.
You should instead of dimensions, use the stock locations as filters and in Items and Inventory Reports there is a report, Inventory Sales Report. This report can be filtered by location. Here you will also see the cost.

After you get the stock from the supplier, you can make a transfer from the default location into the other locations.

Remember also, when selling, to select the right location for the deliveries.

/Joe