Topic: Client delivery indication - packing slip

Hello,

I am looking at Front Accounting, and so far so good.

I was wondering if there is a way to print on a packing slip the specific needs for a client?  Example:

Client A will only take deliveries between 9AM and 3PM monday through thursday.

Can this be done?

Thanks

Joe

Re: Client delivery indication - packing slip

You can enter that information in the memo field on the document.

/Joe

Thanks.  I saw that.

I forgot to mention that I want this to happen automatically on each and every packing slip.

Canthis be done?

Yes it can be done by FA customization. You can e.g. set the text directly in report.
Janusz

I will be having a few features integrated into FA and I woudl like to know how to get the incorporated into the main FA software for everyone to use?

I want to share them with the FA community.

Thanks for letting me know.

Joe

Please send your code to contributions mailbox you will find on site contact page. Preferred form is patch against some FA version, but you can also zip changed files. I cannot guarantee the code will go to core directly, but we will consider the integration or will propose another way of sharing.
Janusz

Thanks for the feedback.

Part of the reason hat I want to share my improvements with the FA community is yes, to share the feature that has not been implemented yet, but also to find a way to avoid to have to reinstall this special code each time I upgrade.

The ideas that I am looking to have programmed are ideas that I have mentioned on the forums, and each time they say that they can be custom programmed. 

IF they will not be incorporated, how do I knwo what format to put them in so that they will be available for others? 

Will you just put the code on the download area?
Does it have to be in "module" format?
Will you guys repackage it into "module" format?

Thanks

Yes, maintenance of custom changes in core code made apart from development team can be difficult task. So it is always good to consult the planned development approaches with other developers, just to avoid later problems with integration.

Our policy is to include in core source all third-party code which we consider generic enough to be usable for some wider part of FA users community. Every new features of special use, like data import or implementation of local legal requirements should be prepared as extension modules.

FrontAccounting  is used by many people as one of base applications in their everyday business activity, so we have to ensure the core code is stable enough and not overloaded with not needed features/controls. Extension modules idea is suitable for most additions, so I think it will do also for you. If not we are open on discussion about it.

Regarding the feature you signalized in start of this thread, I think it is too specific to your business to be included in core. For most users probably it is simply not needed, and when included in core it means for them additional per-customer configuration option never used, but occupying place on screen. So in this case answer to question whether it can be done is: of course it can be, but the idea is too specific to make all FA users happy with this wink.

Janusz

I read over what you said.

You say that the idea that I am putting forth is too specific to my business.  Is this your opinion, fact or maybe due to no one specifically asking for it, it does not seem like a useful feature.

Any company that ships goods would be able to use this feature.  I agree that when productis shipped by pallet, this would not apply, but any company that delivers goods via a courrier company to a client, this would be a useful  feature.  Many businesses have hours where they can not receive goods and this would be a simple way to allow shippers the flexibility to avoid early morning shipments, or lunch hour shipments.

Anyway, this is my opinion.  I would like to hear other peoples opnions before I go ahead and get this worked on.

The other inconvenience of somethign not being in the main core, is that when FA is uploaded, the module could become unusable, or not work correctly, and woudl have to be twaeked for each upgrade.

I look forward to other peoples ideas.

Joe

Well, I have not made any exhaustive research, so it is my opinion based both on my experience and FA users feature requests. What I considered specific is your need for having individual per customer description. I'm not sure you know that you can set a text to be added to all customer quotation/invoices (romalpa clause) in System and General GL Setup. Is it what you want?
Janusz

BTW no crucial change in minor FA releases are allowed which could break operation of extension modules, so the need for module update can appear (if at all) say once a half a year, next during switch from 2.2 to 2.3 branch.
J

11 (edited by smokinjo 03/26/2010 10:40:28 pm)

No, I am not looking for the romalpa clause.

Each client has different hours that they open, and some are closed over lunch hours.  Example:

client #1
open from monday-friday, 10AM-6PM

client #2
Open from 8AM-5PM - closed each day 12PM-1PM for lunch

client #3
open from tuesday-friday, 10AM-6PM

This good for both the delivery people, and the paking people., so they do nto prepare anorderand ship it out on a day that the client is closed.

This would be in the client information, as this is client specific.  I thought that I saw a way to do this already in FA, but it is a manual way, that you have to enter each and everytime the order is made.

My thoughts are if the feature is already there (joe mentioned that this can be added inthe memo part of the document, look #2 message in this thread, it is already there), then we can just make it automated, if we want.

Thanks

Joe

I guess the working hours are per branch, not per customer parameter.
You can also add it as additional line in branch delivery address. Yo will have individual open hours printed on every document for given customer/branch without additional coding effort.

Janusz

This could be a simple substitute.

Is this extra line already in the code, or would it have to be added?

Thanks

Joe

Branch address is textarea, and this is printed as multiline text in reports, so only thing you have to do is adding the hours line to MAiling Address in Sales/Customer Branches for every branch you need it.
Janusz

I found the mailing address area in the branch area in FA.

At this point, I have no clients with a branch.  So, if I understand correctly, I can type th e"branch" hours in the "Mailing Address" area in the Branch data section.

If I type somethgin in this area, will the address from the customer section still show up?  In othger words, will both the client address and the delivery instructions that you explained ot me how to add, show up on the packing slip/delivery slip?

I ask because not knowing exactly how FA works, I thought that maybe being that I am adding text to the Branch address, that it might print the text from the Brancg Mailing Address, instead of the main client address.

Thanks

Joe

Please use the Training Co, to make some test run to ses how it works.

/Joe