Topic: currency problem

using 2.2.2

I have base currency USD, and currencies HNL, GTQ,  I have a mix of all 3 currencies for sale prices,  When I try to make a sale in GTQ, the items that are priced in HNL, return a 0.00, and when I try to make a sale in HNL, the items priced in GTQ return a price of 0.00  Price list do the same thing...print in GTQ, price in HNL show 0.00

Let me know what you think of this?

Thanks

Alvin

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."  - Aristotle.

Re: currency problem

Hello Alvin,
I have been looking at the algorithms for fetching the sales prices and I detected an error in the sequence in picking up the correct price.
You may have run into this problem
You say you are running 2.2.2. The release we are running is 2.2.4. I think, however, that you can download this file from the CVS Main trunk

/Joe

Hello Joe,

Thought I would bring this up again...

Running v2.2.6  this problem is still there.  Shall I add it to the tracker?

AM smile

Sales price is guessed from base price list as it is set in company setup, and from home currency, so if you have home currency USD in case of lack of price in GTQ it will NOT be guessed from HNL price. The price is guessed only using default currency and/or default price list. This is how the algorithm works - we can guess price only form defaults, not from any random price in database.

Janusz

I see, so what do I do when I print a price list and it has products listed in retail price that some are not in base currency or selected currency?  Or I try to make a Sale where one of the Items is not in the base currency or sale currency?

Just set the price in the target currency for the target price list. Not all can be guessed, nothing can be calculated when there is no data to be calculated from.
Janusz

I do not understand, the target currency chances, depending on where the sale is made.  A location has items purchased in all 3 currencies.  There are exchange rates between all currencies, not just the base currency.

??

Maybe I do not understand what is your problem, or you do not understand how the price calculatons work. Let's return to the original report:

I have base currency USD, and currencies HNL, GTQ,  I have a mix of all 3 currencies for sale prices,  When I try to make a sale in GTQ, the items that are priced in HNL, return a 0.00, and when I try to make a sale in HNL, the items priced in GTQ return a price of 0.00

I guess you have only one pricelist and this pricelist is set as default in company settings, right? In this case if you have no price defined in USD (your home currency) there will be no price guessed for GTQ nor HNL. Just because you have no price for this item defined in default currency (USD) , and you have no price defined in your default pricelist (the only you have). If this is the case, this is correct.

Price list do the same thing...print in GTQ, price in HNL show 0.00

When printing in GTQ, you have prices in GTQ, and no price in HNL should be displayed (zero or non zero). In any report all prices should be the same as selected in sales order form.
Janusz

It is like this, you have a price list, (retail) it is what you use to sell everything to most customers. When I buy something to resale, sometimes I buy it in foreign currency so I just add the sell price in that currency. Which is fine when I sell in that currency. But as soon as I try to sell that item in the other foreign currency I have the problem.

But I guess what I need to be doing is calculating the exchange rate by hand to what the equal would be in base currency and putting that in the price list.

Right? Or maybe sometime in the future, a feature could be implemented to do this automatically.

No, Alvin. I have just explained why it cannot be done automatically: To ensure that  no random price is selected we have to base on clear defaults.  So only three prices are considered as apprioprate:
. Price in customer currency in current pricelist.
. Price in current pricelist in default currency (USD in your case)
. The price in default pricelist and default currency

Such selected price _is_ recalculated to customer currency, so you have not to do it manually.
We cannot use any available price just because we can have 10 different non-default prices for various currencies and there is no way to select the right one as base for final price calculation. We have to avoid any ambiguity here just to avoid mistakes in use.

Janusz

OK,  So why have a price list where you can enter a price in a foreign currency?  If you need a price in foreign currency, you just print it, or get it from a sale...  All done from base currency.

If you were to automate this price problem, You would enter the sale price in foreign currency, the system would do the calculation and store the price in base currency.

Also what is the Base for auto price calculations: used for in Company Setup?

Thanks Janusz, for your help... smile

alvin wrote:

If you were to automate this price problem [....]

This is what we want to avoid by clear defaults: automatization of problems wink.

Also what is the Base for auto price calculations: used for in Company Setup?

This is price list selected as base for price calculations, when there is no explicit price set for some items. If you have 'No base price list' here you have all automatic calculations for prices off. Maybe this is your problem? Set it to most complete/often used pricelist.

If you have some base price list set the price selection order described in my previous post is used.

Janusz

If you were to automate this price problem - Alvin

This is what we want to avoid by clear defaults: automatization of problems wink. - Janusz

I don't see the problem here.  If I need to store all sell prices in base currency, in order to make the system work right.  What is the problem with the system doing it for me?

Also what is the Base for auto price calculations: used for in Company Setup? - Alvin

This is price list selected as base for price calculations, when there is no explicit price set for some items. If you have 'No base price list' here you have all automatic calculations for prices off. Maybe this is your problem? Set it to most complete/often used pricelist. - Janusz

Just wondering, wiki not updated yet, however this is not the problem, it is set to retail price list...

I don't see the problem here.  If I need to store all sell prices in base currency, in order to make the system work right.  What is the problem with the system doing it for me?

I'm stuck. From your first post I understood the problem is that system does not calculate price automatically 'when you try make a sale...'. I explained why it doesn't and what are rationale behind this.

Now you are talking about storing prices in base currency/pricelist automatically. Ok, this is another preposition. So, when and how it should be calculated to satisfy you?

Janusz

OK, I have a problem, but it is not a bug.  I will make a post over at FA Modifications... smile

Yes my own formula...

We buy at multiple location, in multiple currency.  The same with sell.  So in this case you buy in foreign currency, and manually calculate the sell price in base currency, so when you try to sell or print a price list for that item in a currency other then its buy currency, you get the correct price...

AM

Alvin, please do not feed the SEO troll.
Janusz