Topic: Purchasing Pricing - How it works and how to use it!

Here is an explanation on how to use the various fields in Inventory and Items, Purchasing Pricing.

1. For every Item you can have one or more suppliers for this particular Item.
2. Price is the price for the suppliers unit of measure (UOM). If he sells in boxes of 6 this is the price for 6 items. F.i. 60,00
3. Suppliers UOM. In our example it could be 'box'
4. Conversion factor. This is normally 1,0000, but in our example it is 6,0000 ( there are 6 items in the box)
5. Suppliers code and description. The supplier may have another code and description for the Item.

In Purchase Order Entry, when you select an item with a conversion factor, the quantity changes from default 1 to default conversion factor (6). Be aware that this change of quantity only works for the newly committed CVS Main trunk. It will be available in release 2.1.3 to ship in a short while. Until then you have to remember which items have conversion factors, so you can order correctly.

The Price is calculated per item, 10,00. This way you can easily see that this item has a conversion factor, and if you want more you should select a multiple of the conversion factor.

When printing the Purchase Order, the quantity is changed to 1 box (if you ordered 6 items) and the price is 60,00. And the code and description is changed into the suppliers code and description.

When receiving the items it is shown in our UOM and price but with the suppliers code/description. This can be overwritten. The description is updated into the Purchasing Pricing for this item.

This makes it easy for you the next time you order again.

And finally the supplier invoice contains the same info as the receival and the price can be changed, in which case the purchasing data is updated again.

/Joe

OBS

From Aug 24, 2009 in CVS Main and included in release 2.1.5 that are shipping in a couple of days.

The Price (2. above) can now have up to 6 decimals. This will follow the price on all the documents and forms. So you can have fractions of your hundredth's currency in the price. This maybe useful if you buy huge amount of items from your supplier, and his price is a fraction of the hundredth's.
For safety, if you need to increase an existing price with more decimals, please delete the item first and then re-create with the new price.

Re: Purchasing Pricing - How it works and how to use it!

Please read the addition to the former sticky topic.

/Joe

Hi Joe,

I checked the online version 2.2 stable. But the change in the purchase item (on Purchase Order Entry) is not changing the item rate. Thus conversion factor is not reflecting.

Thanks

Chaitanya

Hello chaitanya,
When you are entering the purchase order, the items and price are in our meassures. Internally the purchase orders are following our standard, but if you print the purchase order, you will see it converted into the suppliers quantities and meassures.

/Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the clarity. But the issue here is -

Say we have a supplier ABC and 2 items with rates 100, 150 resp.
When we change item1 to item2 from item list, the prices are not changing from 100 to 150.

In short, The changing the purchase item in item table is not changing the item rate.
The Ajax effect is not getting triggered.

Could you please check if this is an issue or I am getting it in wrong way ?

Thanks

Chaitanya

Hi Joe,

I could find easy fix for issue mentioned above.
I changed line no 309

stock_purchasable_items_list_cells(null, 'stock_id', null, false, false, true);

to

stock_purchasable_items_list_cells(null, 'stock_id', null, false, true, true);

It is under purchasing/includes/ui/po_ui.inc  in function po_item_controls

It enabled the Ajax trigger on combo change thus reflecting properly.

Thanks

Chaitanya

Thanks Chaitanya for pointing this out. Will be fixed and committed to CVS Main ASAP.

/Joe

hey

pls tell me what is the difference between standard costing and purchasing pricing?

thankyou

The standard costing is the average purchase price over time.

/Joe

joe wrote:

Hello chaitanya,
When you are entering the purchase order, the items and price are in our meassures. Internally the purchase orders are following our standard, but if you print the purchase order, you will see it converted into the suppliers quantities and meassures.

/Joe

it is not working 2.2.1

Yes, it do. Please look into our 2.2.1 demo. Here you can experiment with purchasing data and how it is displayed on reports. E.g. look into first PO - it use supplier's  uom and item name for first item line.  This is how Joe has explained.
Janusz

Just to be sure - I am not seeing a way to define standard bands of pricing for volume purchase discounts.  Is that true?

Meaning from the same supplier, if we buy 100 they are $x, but if we buy 5000, they are less per.

Is there any way to do that with FA, or does it have to be managed externally?  (or an add on module)

Thanks!

I guess you will have to split it up into different items. Or, as you say, an extension module.

/Joe

Dear sir,

In the above you answered "the standard costing is the average purchase price over time". But when I change standard cost with FA then what will reflect. Is it remain correct average purchase cost. Please clear me.

Thank you in adv.

If you change the Standard Costing in Items and Inventory, a journal Entry is made to adjust Inventory and purchase price variance.
And the average standard cost is updated on the stock.

/Joe

joe wrote:

I guess you will have to split it up into different items. Or, as you say, an extension module.

/Joe

FYI....I wrote an extension module for this, which I called 'Pricing Bands'.  I had to modify the purchase order entry a bit to auto-pull the price based on the entered quantity (using AJAX).  If you are interested in this add-on, just let me know.

Yes, of course we are interested. Please send the code to the address found on Contact page, or directly to me or Joe. Please consider also joining developers mailing list  smile.
Janusz

18 (edited by Towhid 03/07/2010 01:36:31 pm)

Dear sir,

In inventory item status, item always shows at  "On Order" column  1 in demo project after receiving all purchase orders. Could you explain.

Thank you

I am not sure I understand what you mean. If you receive POs, the On Order will decline with the items received. Be sure you are looking at the same location or using the same location.

/Joe

20 (edited by Towhid 03/07/2010 04:46:29 pm)

Dear sir,

In the new project it shows correct figure but not in default demo project that FA provided with. I received all the outstanding orders in all fiscal years but it still shows 1 instead of 0 in "On Order" column.

Thank you in adv.

21 (edited by jackhadin05 07/06/2012 05:15:16 pm)

Should you decide change the Classique Costing in Items as well as Inventory, a log Entry is made to adjust Inventory and purchase price variance.
And the average classique price is up-to-date regarding the stock.

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the lucidity. But the challenge right here is -
Say you have a company ABC and as additionally 2 items alongside prices 100, one hundred fifty resp.
When we change item1 to item2 from item checklist, the expenses tend to be not changing from 100 to 150.
In short, The changing the buy item in item table is not changing the item accelerate.
The Ajax impact is certainly not getting brought.
Can you please check if this might be some sort of issue {or perhaps I have constantly been getting it in completely wrong way ?
Thanks

Hi Joe,
I also checked the web adaptation 2.2 solid. However the change inside the buy item (in Buy Buy Entry) is certainly not changing the item speed. Thus conversion factor is certainly not reflecting.

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the clarity. However the problem right here is -
Assume you have a provider ABC and also 2 items with speeds 100, one hundred fifty resp.
When we change item1 to item2 from item list, the rates tend to be not changing from 100 to 150.
In short, The changing the buy item in item table is certainly not changing the item speed.
The Ajax impact is not getting triggered.
Can you please confirm should this be some sort of factor or perhaps I in the morning getting it in completely wrong way ?
Thanks

speed => rate - translation quirk!

Has this been fixed in Mercurial Changeset 3094?