Topic: Changes in tax rates system.

Recently during fixing bug found by Pete we have found current tax system in FA a little unclear and prone to erroneous manual accounting. To avoid this we want to improve it by small simplification of tax settings as follows.

Currently tax rates defined at Setup/Taxes have assigned default tax rate, which can be changed later on tax group level. We consider this additional flexibility as confusing  and in fact unneeded. Therefore in FA 2.2 we are about to remove the tax rate setting on tax group level and always use the rate defined for given tax type instead.

The planned change seems to be harmless on most installations (often default rate values are used in tax group definitions without change), but anyway we are open for strong arguments against planned change as always.

Janusz

Re: Changes in tax rates system.

Well you obviously get my support!

Thanks Pete smile.
The change seems to be not very controversial, but maybe current tax defaults scheme is crucial for somebody, so I think we can wait a while for some response.

Do you want to take over this fix?

Janusz

Hi Janusz
Back again after a bit of a break from FA:.....did you put this tax change into the 2.1.5 or would you still like me to look at it? Also, I responded to someone's PHP 5.3 issue here just a minute ago: maybe we could put a posting up clearly that PHP 5.3 is unsupported (I'm presuming you guys are on 5.2, I used 5.3 but stopped after an hour of debugging, and downgraded back to 5.2).
Cheers
Pete

Hello,
Nice to hear from  you again. We are currently at the end of development process for FA 2.2, and recently released version 2.1.5 seems to be the last one in 2.1 series. The change described above was not implemented yet, so I think you could work directly on development 2.2 version which can be downloaded from unstable CVS branch. If we would decide to release 2.1.6 anyway this should be strictly bugfix release.

Regarding supported php versions I personally use php4.3 with some random tests on php 5.1, Joe works entirely on some 5.x release. Joe is currently out of office, but will be available at the fall of week.

Janusz

Hi Janusz - OK will start looking at the 2.2 version for this change.

(By the way, I sent a Joe a new copy of the Australian chart of accounts today (it's generic for any service company anywhere really). I have updated the chart of accounts to reflect the new standard accounting equation you guys put in, so the structure should be right for future versions. Hope to see it replace the old Australian in Chart of Accounts downloads soon, or I can send it to you Janusz)

Thanks Pete. Joe will put your new COA version ASAP.
Janusz

This editable tax rate has been read-only by Joe. Fixed in 2.2 unstable, that are about to ship in a beta release.

/Joe

I am not sure what I am doing wrong yet but my sales tax rate recently changed and I wanted to change it in FA VERSION 2.2.6/7 but I am unable to change the tax rate from 8.375 to 8.875. An attempt to update the rate will give the following message: Selected GL Accounts cannot be used by another tax type. Does this mean  I have to create new account for every new rate?
Please help here.

Help others to help yourself as no one knows it all

Hello,
If you have more than one tax types, you shoud use different Tax GL accounts.
While you can use the same account for both Sales Tax GL Account and Purchase Tax GL Account, you must have different accounts for every tax type.
We also strongly recommend to split up the Sales Tax GL Account and Purchase GL Account. It is much easier to follow the transactions this way.

/Joe

Thanks, that did the trick.

Help others to help yourself as no one knows it all