Topic: initial balance (like journal entry) set up for individual clients

Is anyone know how to set up the initial balance of individual clients? We have old clients account that we already have AR with them but just don't find the way to set up into the FA2.0? Any suggestion?

Re: initial balance (like journal entry) set up for individual clients

Hello,
I understand that you do not mean the general ledger setup, but initial balances for your customers.
Well, this was tricky. I was thinking of using a fiscal year one year back and on the last day, create an invoice with service items for the balance.
Of course, this will also create GL entries, but you will get the AR account updated correctly. The sales account will be there too, but maybe you can do a counter booking manually afterwards.
Well, this was only a thought, maybe other have a better solution.

/Joe

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! Yeah, it is a viable solution.
If we ask our programmer to make change at the mySQL database, could you advise which tables should we change to achieve this goal?

Well, I'm not sure what is the goal you want to achieve.
If your clients have already in use FA 1.xx and want to upgrade to FA 2.0 there is update script to do this without need for making  db changes manually. Don't forget to make db backup before upgrade.

If your clients have another accounting program and you want to move the data to FA 2.0 your there is no one universal receipt. Anyway debtors transactions are stored in debtor_trans table, and current ballances of AR is calculated on the fly from documents like invoices and payments stored in this table.

Thanks for your prompt reply! It happens that we are in the second case. We have a very primitive accounting system like bunches of excel files and would like to put into FA 2.0 in batch instead of having someone key in it one by one. Thank you for your explanation. It sets the start point to us. smile

6 (edited by stevevogelnu 01/01/2009 02:40:22 pm)

We looked at the top 15 Accounting systems on Source Forge and I think we like this best.  So we're trying to do a trial conversion from our existing system (Peachtree) and it was really very simple to do so far.

I am interested in taking the customer receivables suggestion one step further.  I've tested an import into debtor_trans of a type 10 and 13 record based on sample entries and it seems to work nicely.  I'm concerned that I'm going to get into trouble later as I enter new invoices; it seems the FA system may just duplicate my transaction numbers.  Is there a table of LAST-USED "debtor_trans.trans_no", "invoice number", etc. somewhere that I need to update. 

I'd like to start my invoice numbers with something higher than "1" anyway.  Is it possible to start at "90000", which would be more compatible with my existing invoices?

Where is the manual?

Thanks for warm words.
You cannot change change transaction number directly, but if you have $print_invoice_no=0 (default) in  config.php, reference numbers are used instead of transaction numbers on all documents. Next reference number for all documents you can set in Setup/Forms Setup.

You will find manual for FA on documentation download section, although the version is not especially up to date, I'm afraid.

Janusz

First thanks for wery good software
I have big problem  if  i "cannot  change transaction number directly". (sorry for my english)

we tested first FA, and find wery interesting , then import into debtor_trans of a type 10 and 13 till trans_no=122
and set up other parameters for initial balance
Problem start when i try to start direct invoice for example, script takes trans_no = 5 , i do not knew from where (i would like to change)
Of course i get error duplicate number entry etc.
Realy whant to knew where can i change start number for  trans_no

Hello and thanks.
The trans_no is an auto_incremented value for the debtor_trans table. This auto_incremental value, that should get you the next number, is probably set wrong in the table.
You can fix that in phpMyAdmin.
If you by trans_no = 5 mean, that the next reference number is 5, then you can move the next reference number in Setup tab, form setup.

please someone help clear up this for me.i did some posting of customers'payments last week and immediately saw the journal entries done for me.my worry now is that under inquiries and reports**customers and sales report**customer**customer balances nothing appears or general ledger**list of journal entries or GL accounts transaction nothing still appears to show me what had happen with my biz previously.in will be waiting for your help.thanks in advance

i am entering transactions for payment made to suppliers but i find it difficult to trace the journal entries as it  suppose to be appear. the problem here is that i am changing the name of the supplier say from OJONG to ARREY, but only the former remains .this therefore imply that the payment was done to OJONG of which it is no more to OJONG but ARREY. please help me solve this cos i already entered their names as my suppliers.thanks

molyko wrote:

i am changing the name of the supplier say from OJONG to ARREY, but only the former remains .this therefore imply that the payment was done to OJONG of which it is no more to OJONG but ARREY. please help me solve this cos i already entered their names as my suppliers.thanks

I'm not sure what you mean, so were have you changd the supplier name? If you have done this on Purchasing/Suppliers you still have only one Supplier. If you want to record transactions to another supplier you have to create new record for him in Purchasing/Suppliers. You can create as many suppliers as you wish.

Probably you have Search Supplier List checked in Company Setup. Uncheck the option, save preferences then try again.

itronics wrote:

If your clients have another accounting program and you want to move the data to FA 2.0 your there is no one universal receipt. Anyway debtors transactions are stored in debtor_trans table, and current ballances of AR is calculated on the fly from documents like invoices and payments stored in this table.

Itronics,

My case is as above.

We are migrating from another accounting program. We have used Tom's import module for the journals successfully. We are now looking into ways to import in invoices as well (more than 500!).

Per your advice above, we should look into adding the transactions into the debtor_trans table. Is there any other table that we need to see? How will the table debtor_trans_details be affected.

We appreciate some guidance n this matter.

Regards,
Freddy