Topic: Import an inventory list from a csv file

Does anyone have a script to take an csv file and create the Item data as well as the inventory quantity?

I have an inventory table from an ASK system that has the information required for FrontAccountings Item plus the current physical inventory count and would like to be able to import since it is over 800 parts.

Thanks

Re: Import an inventory list from a csv file

You can find both extensions in download section:
https://frontaccounting.com/wb2/pages/download/download-modules.php

Regards
Janusz

Janusz, thank you for the reply. I have used the Item Import to get the parts from my csv inventory list, however I don't see any way to get the inventory quantity into FrontAccounting. Is there any way to do this or does it require a manual Inventory adjustment for each item.

The problem is that the stock items require GL transactions, based on an item value. It is possible to change the Import module to do these transactions, but we do not have the resource for that at present. So otherwise you have to enter it manually.

/Joe

Joe,

I installed the import item module, but I don't know where to make the import_items folder.

At the moment it's not updating any products.

Best regards,

Marc

Did you follow the instructions in the attached readme.txt file inside the module?
Tom has changed this module quite a bit. I think his email is inside. You can address him directly via email from here.

/Joe

Joe,

I followed the instructions, but I would like to know where I should make the new folder (location) for import_items.

The readme.txt only states "should follow unix folder convention". I have no idea what this means.

Best regards,

Marc

You can use anything (without spaces is best)

item_import

is good.

I think that field is in there so you can install more than one version of a given module

item_import1
item_import2

Why you'd need to do that I am not sure, but the flexibility is there.

You then go to the Menu Tab you selected (Items and Inventory) and click on the Name you have it (Items Import)

Select the GL Accounts you want to use for the items, etc.
Make sure you use the right Field separator. The default is ;
I personally use ,

The browse to the CVS file on your local system that you prepared

click Import

Warnings and errors will be noted and a summary of the number of updates made.

Tom
ps. I prefer to answer things here, so others can use the information too

i newly install frontaccount for an existing company and need to enter the stocks into frontaccount but could not input the item quantity.
how can i get this done please.
thanks.

Hey Tom,

Noticed from module downloads section "CSV Importing - Advanced (Release 2.0.X only)". Gues this won't work in 2.2.3 then. Do you know how much work it might take to get it to work for 2.2.3? How far apart are the data structures from 2.0.x to 2.2.x?

I'm new to FA, a whole 2 days in actually. Loving it by the way. I have quite a few years of experience developing on Axapta/DynamicsAX for a bunch of clients and was looking for something way simpler to run a small IT support and development firm - pretty sure I've found it in FA. (Well done to all involved!) For sure I'll start digging under the hood soon and would love to assist where I can, when I can.

I will have it this weekend.

I am just finishing up testing

tom

This is on the Website for download now.

/Joe

Once again, thumbs up to everyone putting in the time over here. smile

Stildalf

Hi All,

I've made a change to this script to fix a problem when creating a new Item Category on item import. Script used to only specify category name and the category could then not be seen or edited by viewing 'Items and Inventory'->'Item Categories'.

Script now updates the following fields for the created Category: Tax Type, GL Accounts, Units & Item Type (Item/Service/Manufactured).

I just don't know where to post the updated file. Should I post it on Mantis? (Don't thinks so...)

Thanks for the bug report, I will add the update and have a new version posted for download!

You can send code contributions to the address from Contact page of the site, or better directly to Tom to the address found on developer mailing list.
Janusz

He has sent it to me and I will update the package.

thanks!
tom