1 (edited by MacKenzie 07/15/2024 01:28:33 pm)

Topic: A big Journal Entry No No

Hello FA community.  I'm a huge fan of Front Accounting.

I'm not certain where the best place to post this issue is, but I think "bug" section might be a good place to start. 

I had a journal entry which was erroneously reversed.  Rather than debiting say COGS for $1,815.49 and Crediting Inventory for $1,815.49 I reversed this, erroneously debiting the inventory account and crediting the COGS account.

I noticed the error almost at once and went about to correct it.  I naturally thought I would have to post a correcting JE for $3,630.98. Then I had a thought.  I wonder if FA will just allow me to just correct the entry? 

Sure enough, it did.  Not only did it allow me to correct it, it wiped out the previous entry entirely. As we all know, accounting should show every transaction, and not allow corrections of this nature to occur, especially without an audit trail. 

I know a ROLE change could prevent this entirely by just disallowing the user make a journal entry, but we certainly have roles that allow in-house accountants to make a JE change.  This "re-write of a JE without an audit trail" is a huge NO NO. 

I went back to look at the "Audit Trail" report, and it just shows the corrected entry.  So I have to say this isn't an accurate audit trail. An accurate audit trail would show the original journal entry (the wrong one) and then show it was corrected. 

What am I missing here?

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

Re: A big Journal Entry No No

Correction / reversal entries are already available and they have an audit trail.