1 (edited by deeepdish 12/01/2023 07:02:16 pm)

Topic: 2.4.17 Long Descriptions in Sales Invoices

Hello.   

I recently upgraded from 2.4.7 -> 2.4.17.   I didn't expect this as part of the upgrade however it appears that I'm no longer able to enter more than 50 characters, despite "Use Long Descriptions on Invoices" being enabled in company setup.   

I'm not sure what the rationale is to this change, but this is a capability that I need - specifically when editing descriptions in template invoices.  How can I revert back to prior behaviour?

Re: 2.4.17 Long Descriptions in Sales Invoices

https://frontaccounting.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=8700

Thank you, will review.

Hello Everyone.   Want to revisit this..  There's a bug.

On 2.4.17 although I'm able to enter long descriptions for NEW line items, I'm unable to edit existing line items that already have a long description.   

You can reproduce the behaviour as follows:

- Enable long descriptions;
- Enter invoice with long descriptions;
- Enable posted invoice as template;
- Create new template invoice;
- Attempt to edit entry with long descipriton (you won't be able to -- work around is to create new entry with desired long description, remove prior entry).

Thank you.

@joe: was that commit complete to include edition as well?

I have to ask @Itronics about this.

/joe

Long descriptions were never editable on Invoice. Long description is retrieved from inventory database, when invoice is printed (or mail generated),and is not stored as part of document. Unfortunately this has also side effect, that change in inventory item long description is visible in every later printed invoices  (if long descriptions feature is active).
This is because long description feature was introduced in minor release, so database structure could not be changed.

So, If you want issue invoice with changed description the workaround is:
. issue invoice
. change long description in Inventory Item record
. print/mail invoice
. change back description in Inventory item to previous default.

J.

I understand what you're saying however the behaviour to edit long descriptions on termplate invoices was available and working in v2.4.7.   This functionality broke with upgrade to 2.4.17.