Topic: GL Accounts in Company Defaults

In this function gl_account_in_company_defaults
please add one more line

OR name='grn_clearing_act'

www.boxygen.pk

Re: GL Accounts in Company Defaults

@boxygen

Thanks for finding this. Fixed and Committed to stable repo.

Joe

3 (edited by MacKenzie 01/27/2023 12:37:21 am)

I'm not certain what we mean by a "Clearing Account".  I suppose it's some kind of a suspense account.  It's not a common COA account.
I would say if someone needs it, let them add it in.  A lot of accounting software takes the approach that less is more.  If ONE person needs that account, that means that the other NINE people won't use it.  Default accounts should, in my opinion, be accounts every business will use.  A clearning account sounds like it's business specific, or a suspense account like I said.  In any event, I personally would not encourage you to change anything about the FA COA.  I really like them as they are.  My 2 cents.

boxygen wrote:

In this function gl_account_in_company_defaults
please add one more line

OR name='grn_clearing_act'

Hello @MacKenzie, GRN Clearing Account is a contra account when you have received the goods but haven't credited the supplier. This contra account is settled when the supplier is credited against Goods Received.

www.boxygen.pk

Thank you kindly for the response.

If you HAVE received the goods, you just owe the guy money and you just book the entry using existing accounts.   

dr Purchases Received (inventory or Supplies)
   cr Accounts Payable
-to recognize goods received but not yet paid for.

If you HAVE received the goods but haven't credited your supplier yet (I suppose to examine the receipt first) then you could

dr Purchases Received (inventory or Supplies)
   cr Clearing Account
-to recognize goods received but not yet paid for.

and then...

dr Clearing Account
   cr A/C Payable
to reflect a liability for goods received.

One could certainly do this, but this isn't really "standard" for most business' that I'm aware of and making this a Standard COA account is not recommended.  Simplicity is always better.  I would argue that ERP (like FA) systems especially don't need this, as Purchase Orders Outstanding are tracked.  If they aren't using a PO to place their order, then they aren't using the tools they have properly.  Right? 

Perhaps I'm not understanding your argument fully.  If so, I apologize.

This kind of reminds me of a Story my old accounting professor told us.  He went into a company and the bookkeeper had a "CM" account.  He inquired, "What is that CM account for?  The bookkeeper replied, "Well, we have a cat."   My professor said, "so?".  The bookkeeper said, "Well, we debit that for the cat meat we purchased. Cat Meat, CM."  His lesson to us.  Don't ever set up a Cat Meat account.  Use miscellaneous.

MacKenzie wrote:

"What is that CM account for?"

who says accounts don't have a sense of humor ...

Thank you my friend.  True story by the way.

PatJr wrote:
MacKenzie wrote:

"What is that CM account for?"

who says accounts don't have a sense of humor ...