1 (edited by lawmaina78 12/31/2021 02:18:30 am)

Topic: How to print bank charges in statement, before hacking core files

Hi,
We have a POS that does cash sales, then this money is later transfered to the bank
So a typical bank transfer process using current FA is like this
E.g. transfer on $1,000

POS cash account gets credited whole amount $1,000
Bank charges account gets debited $100 (which is 10%)
Bank account gets debited $900

When I print bank statement, the bank charges doesn't reflect, since the bank usually charge 10%, when they give us their statement, this amount is usually there.

Our desired process would be

POS cash account gets credited whole amount $1,000
Bank account gets debited whole $1,000

Bank charges account gets debited $100 (which is 10%)
Bank account gets credited $100

This way, the statement would show the charges.

I've seen in the core files where I can implement this, but I usually avoid making any changes to the core files, is there any other way I can achieve the above

Re: How to print bank charges in statement, before hacking core files

The FA "Bank Account Transfer" page supports "Bank Charges".  Those charges are subtracted from the transfer-to amount, but you would like them shown because your bank shows them.

To answer your question directly, yes, you can modify a page without modifying the core by including an extension that overrides a FA core page (see, https://frontaccounting.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=34035#p34035).

But you can also duplicate the desired G/L behavior by creating a general journal quickentry (four lines: +-100% base, +-10%).

The latter approach is advised if the percentage is always the same because then you only need to enter just the base amount and then the charges are auto-calculated.

One notable caveat (gotcha) with using the "Bank Charges" feature of "Bank Account Transfer" is that FA does not edit the transaction correctly; it forgets about the bank charges.  Be sure to fix this bug when you create your extension.

Re: How to print bank charges in statement, before hacking core files

Thanks for this, seems option two if practiced properly would be the ideal solution, I just hacked the core file temporarily to allow operations, but I will take time to figure through the second option you advised.