Topic: Bank Payment Reference number not updating

HI

when you edit a bank payment, it indicated that the reference number of the edited entry already exists. After that, the auto increase in the reference number does not work.

When you manually change the number to the next available number, the system does not auto increase that number after that.

One has to go back to the "Setup/Reference Numbers"  and change it there to increase again.

Next time, you edit another bank payment, the same problem oocur.

Kind regards

Wynand

Re: Bank Payment Reference number not updating

Hi @seahawk

I am not able to reproduce this. Can you give us a scenario to follow. I tried on 2.4.4 and 2.4.9 on Linux Mysql 5.7 php 7.2 and Apache 2.4.

3 (edited by seahawk 02/08/2021 07:57:26 am)

Hi Rafat

It happens on 2.4.9 when you would go Sales => Inquiries and reports => Customer transaction Inquiry or  Banking and General Ledger => Inquiries and Reports => Journal Inquiry. You cannot edit Supplier payments, do not know why not, but all the others that you would edit and then try and save again give the error that the reference number already exists.

Then you change the number to the next number, after that no auto number increase. You now have to go back to Setup => Company Setup => Transaction Reference and change the relevant  Transaction Type Reference number for the auto increase to work again. Maybe some form of change to the Setup to change the auto number +1 on the one that you just changed, for the next number.

I do not know if it might be that in 2.4 the References have changed and I am still using the 2.3 type layout that was converted in 2.4.

PHP 7.4.14 
MySQLi  5.5.5-10.3.27-MariaDB

Hope this will help.

Wynand

Hi Seahawk,

Sorry, not able to recreate. It seems there were problems with the ref numbers before.

https://frontaccounting.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=7651

It might be a problem with fiscal year level changes affected the references.  Usually this issue is not reproducable. It's happening back of your last data went wrong. And it's giving trouble. By accessing database and fix it.by iterating to right values in respective tables like bank trans, refs

Subscription service based on FA
HRM CRM POS batch Themes

It only happens when you edit the Customer payment date. It should normally retain the original reference number, but for some or other reason the reference number stays in the system upon editing and when you want to save the payment after editing or change to a different customer, the system gives the error that the reference number already exists. It is not always, or it may be on second change.

If you have already reconciled the payment, the system will unreconcile the entry after saving the change.

Wynand

The error message means what it says, that the reference already exists on some other transaction.

I have seen this in vanilla FA when multiple browser tabs are opened on bank payments.  If this is the case, then the solution is simple.  Only display one bank transaction at a time; do not use another browser window to examine any other transaction before completing the edit of that transaction.

Otherwise the problem is that you have duplicate reference numbers.

If the date is used in the reference number, and you change the date, bingo, that is the problem.  Note that is OK if the year is part of the reference number if only the month or day is changed.

If the date is not used in the reference number, then you need to examine the database with a tool such as the mysql client and search for the reference number in the database to confirm if duplicate reference numbers exist in the database.

Vanilla FA quietly unreconciles an edited bank transaction.  The code fix for that is in my fork.

Braath, I think you are correct. I will test again with the view of the transaction open, then edit and see what it does. I suspect that might be the problem.

Thanks will watch for that.

Wynand