1 (edited by londondaveuk 11/19/2009 02:19:06 pm)

Topic: update instructions that work

Hi,

I am trying to update from 2.2RC to the new 2.2 (stable). The update instructions just don't work, they don't seem to make much sense.

If I have a directory /var/www/html/frontaccount which is version 2.2RC, after I have downloaded the 2.2 stable tarball, what are the exact steps to update?

I have is two directories:

/var/www/html/frontaccounts- this is my working version 2.2 RC
/var/www/html/frontaccounts-2.2 -this is the new stable 2.2

What do I do now to get a sucessful update?

My only addons are the elegant theme and I am using en_GB.sql for companies created after install-not the original Testing.Co.

[SOLVED]

I took this from nolapro:

download 2.2 update, untar it -but not in the directory where your working frontaccounts install is or it will overwrite the whole thing.

Eg: I have working frontaccounts in /var/www/html/frontaccounts (/var/www/html is my webroot) and the update is in /home/me/frontaccounts

As root or using sudo, I did cp -a /home/me/frontaccounts/* /var/www/html/frontaccounts/

That means you don't have to backup any themes etc as they will not be overwritten. Only anything new in the update will be written to your working frontaccounts dir.

All you have to do now is chmod -R www-data.www-data /var/www/html/frontaccounts/ or whatever your webserver user is set to. Then make the changes to config.php (if any) and follow the rest of the install guide.

Re: update instructions that work

Just one notice: you can uncompress new tarball directly in FA working directory and all should work anyway (config files will not be updated as they does not exist in latest tarball), although good practice is to make backup copy of your FA installation before upgrade.
Janusz