Topic: Customer Login

Hello,

Great thanks for the nice package ! I want the 'customer' to have login access, so that they can enter sale order and view their accounts status i.e. due payments etc.

Is it possible to have this in latest 2.2RC release ?

Regards

Chaitanya

Re: Customer Login

Hello,
I know what you mean. It is not possible to exclude anyone to not select various customers in customer transactions. It would also require a lot of restrictions for the customer in the access roles. Technical it could be done, but I am not sure if this is a good idea. It is scary to let the fox into the poultry-farm, if you understand what I mean smile

/Joe

Hello Joe,

Thanks for your prompt response and suggestions.
I understand your point and fully agree.

But somehow as following is the business requirement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Provide following activities for 'customer' as system stakeholder.

Transactions
Place the order
Update the order
Cancel the whole order or partial order
Accept the goods
Send rejected goods back
Make payments
Accept payment back for the sent excess, rejected goods
Reports
Order History
Pending Orders
Material In Register
Status of the payments
List of returned goods transactions
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus I must try to get customer login facility. I was evaluating FA for the business needs.
I must say that the FA is a quality product and must have been developed by the Experts.

I have made mind to utilise FA for my project. But as I am totally new to FA, I would be grateful if you could help me by providing guidelines to go ahead. I am aware of PHP, MySQL.

With Regards

Chaitanya

As far as I understand you want to grant access for customers to some part of company database, and give them ability to entry and inquire data related to his customer transactions. If this is your aim,  I have to say some of listed 'activities' cannot be passed to customer without breaking company data veracity:

Place the order - ok
Update the order - ok
Cancel the whole order or partial order -ok, until the order is accepted.
Accept the goods - this should be done on customer side, not in supplier company database. View access to list of orders already sent makes more sense
Send rejected goods back - this should be registered at the moment of real goods receival by company staff.
Make payments - what do you mean? Currently payments are only registered in FA, and this should be done by responsible company officer having access to bank account  data, not the customer for obvious reasons.
Accept payment back for the sent excess, rejected goods - this is done on customer side, not in supplier database

Despite problems described by joe,  the only real activities which could be made accessible for customers for now is sales order entry/edition/query. The rest needs additional implementation.

Janusz

Hello Janusz,

Thanks for your input. It is really valuable.
We want the customer to perform - sales order entry/edition/query through FA.

Could you please guide me about the changes I need to do to achieve this ?

With Regards

Chaitanya

I think you should first try to configure current (2.2RC) version of FA to suit your needs. For this you have to define new role for external customer access in Access Setup, then create new user. Then you should login and make a trip all over the FA menu options/pages and find places accessible for your customer, which shouldn't. When you have such a list completed we can discuss how to fix them one by one.

Janusz

Hello Janusz,

Thanks for your response. Your approach is correct.
I had studied FA for my requirements. I taken review once again as per your suggestion. I feel it is suitable for me with some additional facilities to be created.

As you said, I have set a new role. Ideally this role should have following access (only 2 links under sales)
1. Sales Transactions - Sales Order Entry (Without other Customers list)
2. Sales Inquiries and Reports - Customer Transaction Inquiry (Without other Customers list)

I could set new role having access restricted to said transaction but failed to restrict reports access. Following additional links are still active.
1. Sales Quotation Inquiry
2. Sales Order Inquiry
3. Customer and Sales Reports

Could you please guide how to disable them for new role ?
Also how to replace customer list by specific customer for said role.

With Regards

Chaitanya

Hello Janusz,

How do we create 'Customer Account' ?
Specifically, while creating user account can we link customer to it making it a customer account.

With Regards

Chaitanya

No, currently there is no such relation implemented.
To be understand right: there is no customer access implemented in FA for now. If you want to do it, I believe you should follow the way I have described above and localize all needed changes. One of those changes is adding relation between user login data and customer account (e.g. by adding list selector in user setup to select some customer to deal with, or all).

Janusz

Hello Janusz,

Yes, noted the point.

I have done study as you advised and posted it in a reply above.
Could you please review and give your comments ?

With Regards

Chaitanya

Oh, yes I overlooked your previous post.
When access scheme was created we have assumed that minimal access rights (if granted at all) to some module transactions (in this case sales) is reading them all.  This of course depends on company requirements, but in most cases it is enough. Therefore we have not divide access levels more, and all sales transactions inquires are under SA_SALESTRANSVIEW access area.
If you want to have more grained access, you have to read access_levels.txt file in doc directory, where the access levels system is explained, and make needed changes in php code (files customer_inquiry.php and access_levels.inc at least).

Regarding the customer list in sales order entry screen - this should be replaced by customer name on display, and customer id (set on user login) should be used when order is saved. Exact implementation is up to you and depends on design decision how user-customer relation is coded.

Janusz

12 (edited by chaitanya 11/11/2009 01:42:46 pm)

Thanks for all guidance by Administrators - Janusz and Joe.

With your guidance and excellent coding style, I could go through the above mentioned exercise without hard work ! smile

I appreciate the software and promptness of the Admins.

Chaitanya

You are welcome smile. If you would like to continue with implementation of customer login, do not hesitate contact me directly when you encounter any problem hard to solve. I think such extension would be valuable indeed, if coded carefully enough to protect sensitive data from customer access.

Janusz

Hi Janusz,

Thanks for your willingness for helping. smile

I will be very happy to see if we could turn above need into a extension. Please let me know how can I help here.

I have changed some core files.

With Regards

Chaitanya

Hi

I observed that FA has release version 2.2 stable. Thanks for new release.
I think it would be better if we can support customer login.

This functionality would need
1. Linking user account to customer. (Needs db change.)
2. Restricting customer to enter only few transactions (can be easily done by setup->access setup)
3. Customer should be able to enter transactions only for own account.

I have modified the code in order to provide all of the above features.
If moderators see any value addition in this proposal, I would be happy to share code for review.

Thanks

Chaitanya

Thanks. Please send the code to email address for contributions found in announcements forum. Now after 2.2 development is closed it is a good time to think about features to be implemented in 2.3 release. Your idea  seems to be good candidate.
Janusz

Hi,

Is this code available ?  Where could I find it ?

Kind regards,
F.

No.

It is better to have a custom application partaking of the FA DB as readonly and then in the new application having some code / authorisation to transfer entries as suitable to FA DB format through some API if needed.