Topic: New Project - GL

One of the partners (Partner A) of our company is investing in a new project - Let's call it HOSPITAL. This project has 3 other investors, all equal partners. Since all the purchases/investments are being done by our partner, Partner A has asked everyone to send the money to our account and then we will make the necessary payments on behalf of the HOSPITAL.

Since I do not want these investments/expenses to come into my PL, I am making a new account HOSPITAL under Current Liability. Now when one of the 3 partners brought in money:

HOSPITAL Credit (with Memo as the name of the person investment)
BANK Debit

When we make a payment to suppliers for this project:

HOSPITAL Debit (with Memo as the name of the person investment)
BANK Credit

The balance of this account is the investment brought in by Partner A. Now the problem is tracking the investments made by different partners as I have to go through the Memo and update an external excel sheet.

Is there an easy way to do this, like a sub-account or group with all Partners. So I can account all investments under their name, but all expenses will be accounted to the parent account HOSPITAL. This way the HOSPITAL account will always be balanced.

I dont know if I am doing it right. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: New Project - GL

Any ideas or suggestions?

Do tags or dimensions help?

Will HOSPITAL be a separate tax paying entity?

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

5 (edited by imranrafai 04/02/2020 09:35:23 pm)

Yes. We will have nothing to do with bookkeeping for their business. Our interest is only to track the funds coming in and going out for setup of that business. Once the business started, there was nothing more we had to do or record.

For example, let's assume the total initial investment of the project is $400,000 to be equally invested by 4 partners. And we received the following:
Partner B = $95,000
Partner C = $105,000
Partner D = $90,000
------------------------------
Total Received = $290,000
------------------------------

And we spent a total of $400,000 from our company accounts. Hence the difference of $110,000 will be accounted as the investment of Partner A (who is also a partner in our company).

Now when I see the balance sheet, I want to know which partner got how much and the total invested in the project. By having just one account called HOSPITAL, I can know how much I have invested. But keeping tab of who got how much is becoming difficult. Hope this time my explanation makes more sense.

poncho1234 wrote:

Will HOSPITAL be a separate tax paying entity?

Create a new company

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

7 (edited by imranrafai 04/02/2020 09:56:22 pm)

Thankyou Poncho for your help, but you clearly haven't understood my requirements.

I am trying to track the funds coming into my bank account and going out from my bank account for a particular project. I dont care what that company does or anything to do with their bookkeeping. There will be another set of accountants and they may use different accounting software - out of my scope of work.

At the moment I have an account called HOSPITAL, where I have recorded the credit and debit for this project. Whatever excess debit in this account will be considered as my boss's investment. I can pass a journal at the end to balance the account. But I was wondering if there is a feature where I can track an extra level to know how much each partner is bringing in.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Assume that HOSPITAL is already in business by creating a separate company and making all payments to your existing company for onward payments to suppliers temporarily.

As far as your company's account is concerned, PartnerA in your company can have a current account for all remittances / payouts on behalf of HOSPITAL.

In the HOSPITAL company, have a share capital account for each partner and credit them accordingly when they make a payment. Make a contra debit for your existing company in this new company and operate the bank account from the existing company till such time the business actually picks up.