Topic: importing bank data

I would like to be able to import .qif , ofx, csv or  ofc, possible?

Re: importing bank data

I am not sure if I understand the purpose of this. Is this for reconciliation or do you mean payments from customers?

/Joe

I'm not sure what the original poster wanted this but what I use this feature for, in MYOB, is to import a bank statement in .qif format. MYOB tries to match transactions with already entered transactions and offers an interface to add the unmatched transactions. If you just want to categorize all the transactions from your bank statement(s) then this is very useful and saves a lot of time.

Thanks glennr,
Yes I think this will be a very good candidate for an add-on module. Unfortunately I'm not very qood at the .qif format. Maybe someone out there will look at it and write an add-on module for this. It would be straight forward if you know the format of the .qif file.

/Joe

Yes, saves a lota time, thats exactly what I mean Glennr!

I also would like an import feature, Bank of America offers your file as csv, and more. maybe other banks do as well.  Many transactions are done at the bank level, bill payments, and transfers, all done online.  Once a month you just import instead of entering them.

csv should be pretty straight froward.

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."  - Aristotle.

Hello,

The last contribution to this item is 2 years ago, I am curious if there has been a follow-up on this. For me it would be very usefull to have a function like this. I think it would be ok to have one input format, every user can transform his file into this format.

Thanks for your help!

No, this is not implemented so far.
Janusz

This would be a very useful feature - it is the feature that is the 'killer app' of many of the hosted accounting solutions (Xero etc) - a great time saver.

I agree with hugojacobs - just have a standard csv format to start with as people can massage their statements into it.

You can now import bank statements in csv format using the Import Transactions extension.

Using the extension:
1. Download Bank statement from your bank in csv format.
2. Add additional columns to this csv for reference, (coa) account numbers, vat code (if transaction includes vat/gst), using the provided template, and supplier or customer ids.
3. 'Trial run' on this adusted csv to validate existence of account codes, and supplier/customer ids.
4. If successful Trial run then uncheck 'trial run' checkbox and import the adjusted csv.

Now Using Front Accounting:
Allocate imported customer receipts (Sales...Allocate customer payments) and supplier payments (Purchases....Allocate supplier payments) against appropriate invoices.

So before the csv can be imported, correct account code matching, vat code matching, and supplier/customer matching must be
made to each line of the bank statement in csv format.

Raddison thanks for this nice plugin, an essential one actually.
Regarding Bank Statements, the only time consuming thing about the process is to have csv's broken in 2 parts, for deposits and payments.
Would be cool if we had a way to import bank statements in one shot.
It this doable?
Tx!

New to front accounting, I activated the import tranactions in set up and now the item shows up in the menu, but when you click it there is nothing there. Am I missing something?  is there more to it than what I've done?
any help would be appreciated