Topic: Issuing Customer Refund for Overpayment

I've searched the forum (and google), but can not find out how to issue a customer a refund for overpayment. The client sent a check (double paid), which we deposited, then noticed they did not have any invoices owing. They currently have a credit on their account, but do not have any invoices to post against. I read one line where it says to create a credit invoice and point it to the GL account of the banking account, but when I look at Credit notes all I see are items to be posted against. There are no items to post against.

Thanks,

Rod

Re: Issuing Customer Refund for Overpayment

Hello,

You can void a payment in Setup tab, Void transactions.

/Joe

Re: Issuing Customer Refund for Overpayment

Enter the customer payment using sales/customer payments, entering the amount instead of selecting any invoices.

Enter the refund using Banking and General Ledger/Payments, choosing 'customer' for pay to, and choose the correct customer.

Settle the credit using Sales/"Allocate Customer Payments or Credit Adjustment Notes"

You could also hack this by entering the deposit to a contra account and then entering the refund from that account; but this is the correct way that properly links it to the customer and shows up on any statements.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but this is the google hit when you search for refunding a duplicate payment, so I wanted to add the answer.

The answer is from here: https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/index.php?n=Help.CustomerCreditNote