Topic: Prepayment Invoicing

I feel like I must be doing prepayments wrong.

The Sales Order does not include "Legal Text on Invoice:" from System and General GL Setup, and it is not possible to issue an  on Invoicing Prepayment Orders; this causes an error: "There is no non-invoiced payments for this order. If you want to issue final invoice, select delayed or cash payment terms." Due to these conditions, the client never receives notice of payment terms on prepayment sales because the invoice cannot be generated. It's a catch-22.

Likewise, invoicing paid in advance order generate a Pre-Payment invoice that shows the payment terms. It's a little confusing to appear on a final invoice document.

Do I have this someone complete backward?

Thanks

Re: Prepayment Invoicing

When you create a sales order, the first thing you need to do is create a delivery on the order.
After you do the delivery, then you can invoice the order and print the invoice for the customer.

Actually, I missed a step. If you said the order required prepayment. The first thing you have to do, before you can do a delivery is enter a customer payment that is at least as much as the prepayment amount.

After that, you can make the delivery, invoice on the delivery, and then you can print the invoice.

gnurob wrote:

Likewise, invoicing paid in advance order generate a Pre-Payment invoice that shows the payment terms. It's a little confusing to appear on a final invoice document.

I have a client that requires that her customers keep a credit balance because there are many small charges against the account over time, and she generates an invoice once the customer gets a debit balance.

So, the invoice would be very confusing since most of it is already paid from the credit balance and the amount left to be paid might be as little as $1 (although the customer is asked to pay $1 + an amount to keep as a credit and prevent invoicing over and over for small amounts).

What I did was I modified the invoice report (rep107.php) slightly to include an amount paid and the net amount payable.

That allows you do skip a bunch of steps and just create a direct invoice, apply the customer payment to the invoice, then generate an invoice that shows it is paid or partially paid with a net payable amount.

When adhoc amounts are paid into the credit of a customer, then it should be allocated to the appropriate invoice desired. This should be done as Customer Payments instead of just as Journal / Bank entries.

Not sure where all the previous discussion went, but I don't remember anyone saying anything about making journal entries to pay invoices.

oakstreet1 wrote:

What I did was I modified the invoice report (rep107.php) slightly to include an amount paid and the net amount payable.

That allows you do skip a bunch of steps and just create a direct invoice, apply the customer payment to the invoice, then generate an invoice that shows it is paid or partially paid with a net payable amount.

I can see how that would be helpful. Invoicing for prepayments should run through like Direct Delivery and Direct Invoice; when the amounts are paid of course. That's a good suggestion for FA to adopt.

Is it possible to get the payment terms from company setup moved further up the chain to Quotations?