Topic: Supplier's Description of an Item resets to default defined in system.

While drawing a PO, our supplier requires that their naming convention (item code and description) be used instead of what we have defined in the system for the same item.  This is easily be done in FA by adding a "new supplier" and entering the information in "Supplier's Code or Description" and thus the PO can be printed with the suppliers naming code and description instead. However we have noticed that the FA system does not keep this information permanently and the information entered there resets itself to default we have defined in the system for the same item and thus we have to re-enter the same supplier's information at a later stage when we want to draw another PO which is quite time consuming.

We would be greatful to have your help on how to solve this problem.

2 (edited by poncho1234 08/04/2019 04:08:25 pm)

Re: Supplier's Description of an Item resets to default defined in system.

I'm confused when you write "This is easily be done in FA by adding a "new supplier" and"... why add a new supplier?

Are you using Purchasing->Supplier Purchasing Data?

I've just tested this:-

Supplier names item as 'beer', we name it water
Add item water
go to Purchasing->Supplier Purchasing Data?
select item water
select the supplier
optional add a price
in this case ignore suppliers UOM - leave blank
Leave Conversion Factor (to our UOM): 1 (this is a 1:1 ratio - yes?)
Supplier's Code or Description: beer

Click 'Add new' button at the bottom, this info is now saved in the DB, (to edit it, select item water and you will see a table with existing Supplier purchase date - click the edit icon)

Now purchase item from said supplier item will appear as water until Purchase order is printed; then it states beer.

In inventory it states that I have water in order

Then edited PO price and quantity, printed and it still states beer.

So it seems to work? hmmmm...

Logged out and in; PO print still states beer
Receive goods: Description is listed as water, receive goods; now print PO states water; In Supplier Purchasing Data the description has now also been changed to water.

Is this the intended functionality?
Do you have to change the grn to the supplier description(beer) to keep Supplier Purchasing data as beer? (@imtiazchuttoo this looks like the current work around)
This doesn't really make sense and is not intuitive

I also believe that the Supplier Purchasing data, should not be changed unless it is by user.

Possibly the grn should read the Supplier Purchasing data description(beer) not the item description(water).

Possibly a bug. I have entered it in mantis

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

Hi Poncho1234

Thank you for your prompt response!

I am using Items and Inventory->Maintenance->Items->(select item to add supplier) then ->Purchasing Pricing.

Regards

@imtiazchuttoo I have edited my reply in post #2

@apmuthu & @joe can you have a look at this please?

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

Hello Guys,

The Editable Description should be marked in Items Form to use this feature.
@apmuthu, will you please fix this in the Wiki. Thanks in advance.

/Joe

Done.
Also referred in this post.

@Joe, @apmuthu. I was using editable description - checkbox checked

You will have to logout and clear browser cache and then login again.

State which version (and date) of FA you are using and what is the server platform and PHP/MySQL versions and browser type and version used.

@apmuthu, track what I did in post #2 above

As stated logged in and out.

2.4.7  on both linux and wampserver, MySQL version 10.2.26-MariaDB, PHP version 7.2.21, MySQL version 5.7.21, PHP version 7.0.29 respectively; Latest versions of chrome and firefox

To rule out PHP/MySQL versions being the cause, check it out on say PHP 5.3.x with MySQL 5.1 and see what gives.

11 (edited by poncho1234 08/18/2019 02:52:15 pm)

I have tried PHP 5.6.x

The actual issue is:-

When you receive the goods, in the GRN the original item description is displayed, not the edited description that was entered in the PO.

So to keep the edited description you have to change the GRN item description - is this the intended functionality?
And if you do not change the item description in the GRN the original item description is written to the Supplier purchase data.

Please follow the steps all the way through to the GRN in post#2 above and you will see the issue.

@joe: If this was the original intended functionality, then it must be changed.

When a PO is raised and the Description is edited, then it must persist through to the Supplier Invoice.

Hello Guys,

The rules are as follows:

The local Item description is shown on the local Purchase Order Line. When printing the Purchase Order the domestic desctiption and ev. conversions is shown from the Suppliers purchase data on the Purchase Order.

The reason for doing this on the local Purchase Order is that most users only knows our own item description.

When receiving items for the Purchase Order, the Suppliers item description is shown. If the Supplier has changed his description then you can override it here and the Supplier Purchase Data is updated.

Please, @apmuthu, update the Wiki with this information too.

/Joe

@joe

joe wrote:

When receiving items for the Purchase Order, the Suppliers item description is shown.

But that's not what is happening, in the GRN the original item description is being shown

@poncho1234

I have now tested this in both php7.1 and php5.6 and I can not reproduce your issue.

I have went through every aspect in both Sales and Purchases and everything is handled as intended on my environments, Windows 10 Wamp.

Are you sure that you have set the item you are testing to 'Editable Description' in the Item form?

If you have followed the instructions, then please illustrate every step taken. Thanks in advance.

/Joe

16 (edited by poncho1234 08/20/2019 11:07:33 am)

Retested - with item set to 'Editable Description' all now working - @joe thank you for your time and patience in explaining this.

I 'expected' as did the OP, that just adding the Supplier Purchasing Data would be all that's necessary; would it be possible to make this less prone to user error or lack of user knowledge?
Maybe:-
Remove the requirement for 'Editable Description' when using Supplier Purchasing Data description.
Or
When supplier purchasing data for an item is added, check if item is 'Editable Description' if not change it?

If not possible for 2.4; perhaps something for 2.5?

@poncho1234: This may not be tenable this way as the checkbox for Editable Description can be changed independant of the specific transaction at any time. However, if it is implemented by checking f a change in standard description from the one used in the PO, then any inadvertent change there may get reflected in the Supplier Invoice without notice - hence a prudent way was sought in the current implementation where a human re-check is envisaged before finalisation.