Topic: Dimensions in Balance Accounts

Is there a way to modify FA so that Dimensions are carried over to balance accounts in all instances?

I need to be able to create department balance sheets (departments = dimensions) as well as profit loss sheets. Profit loss works fine, but not balance sheets.

Re: Dimensions in Balance Accounts

how to use FA in one company with many branches(about 40 branches)
permission to user to login certain branch and at the time reports for all company and separated report foe each branch
if i use dimensions as branches how configure user login and show one branch(dimension)

It's a good idea to use the dimension as branches. Though you need to configure more to separate logins for branches. 

Let's say bring the dimension to users table and add the dimensions to related users. And keep the super admin for main branch. And create permissions for branch company access. And customize the dimensions drop down. Like show the dimensions drop down only for admins. Other branch users doesn't see the dimensions drop down. And bring the audit trail log to connect and split the entries as per branches. And also you need to change the references function to use dimensions id in l entries. So you can get the difference as per branch.

While writing it's easy to say. But in programmatic. There are huge changes in the core level to make it work.  But it's definitely workable idea to bring the branches inside one main company. Admin can login and make entries into any branches. But the branch users can login and make entry into one system.

And remember one main factor. If you are making 40 branches and making entries means more concurrent user activity in it everyday. So you need a good server to handle it.  And write each queries carefully to make the system work without load. Maintain regular backup as well.

Subscription service based on FA
HRM CRM POS batch Themes

Dimensions just provide a filtered view.

Current FA does not have per branch access control.

Can be a candidate for FA 2.5 and make do with an extension / core mod for now with users / branches stored in a json as sys_prefs records.

@joe: what say you?

naserbeshady wrote:

how to use FA in one company with many branches(about 40 branches)
permission to user to login certain branch and at the time reports for all company and separated report foe each branch
if i use dimensions as branches how configure user login and show one branch(dimension)

Without any modifications use a separate company with the branches as companies which will give you some control over reports; per branch and overall.
If necessary then import transactions into main accounts.
This does not resolve user per branch permission though.

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

The balance on dimensions is already implemented in a commit for 2.4. So it will be available in release 2.4.9 that is about to release soon.

Joe

Yes Joe. But the issue of segregated logins and customer subsets for FA usage across branches independently too is a subsequent missive here.

Maybe not that massive of an undertaking....some thoughts.

* In setup have option to use branch.
* Allow branch to use and designate segment(s) of GL account to correspond to branch.  I currently use 8 segment chart alpha-numeric with position 3 as the branch, as in xxBxxxxx.  In the db, I use an AS CS collation, so with that one segment I have more definitive choices than I need (upper/lower case and numeric).  In the setup, you could select one OR MORE consecutive segment(s) to be used for the branch identifier.  In my case, I use segment 3.
* This allows a GL account scheme that can "roll-up" using account groups, yet keep the accounts for the branch separate.
* Dimensions/Tags further assist with reports.
* You could then use the option in the Inventory Location setup to assign a location to a Branch Code that would match the code in the designated GL segment(s).
* Option to have the Branch location print out on customer sales/invoice/delivery documents.
* Having this option defined would allow separate branch account groups to be more easily closed (automated) at year end, having branch income/expense accounts moving to the appropriate branch balance accounts.
* I could see how security at a branch level could be implemented with this scheme.

Anyway, would love to hear thoughts/possibilities on this. Thanks!