Topic: Reference numbers and invoice numbers get out of sync

I have set up a reference for supplier (purchase) invoices like so: PI_00123

Initially the invoice no matched the reference, so supplier invoice # 480 has a reference of PI_00480

but now they are out of sync. so supplier invoice # 545 has a reference of PI_00541

I think this may have happened since I modified the dates of some invoices ?

This seems inconsistent and become a real problem for tracking issues, what is the best way to fix ?

Re: Reference numbers and invoice numbers get out of sync

Instead of modifying the invoice, you may have deleted it and re-created it. If not, what happened to the invoice #541 - what PI_* does it bear? Trace back and see which invoice number began to to go out of synch with your PI_* numbers. See if some were voided.

I haven't voided any invoices as far as I am aware.

I now think this occurs if I modify the date of the invoice, it is very easy to enter incorrect dates and when they are corrected it seem like internally a new invoice is created with a new number, but the old reference - this seems over the top to me.

I found another post that addresses the same issue except it occurs even when the memo field is modified:
https://frontaccounting.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=7755

so it seems is effectively by design....

So to me if it it is the reference number that we should use as the identifier and not the actual number then it would be better to display the reference number as the primary identifier not the

This post in the stated thread provides adequate reason for keeping the Reference Number unique. The internal trans_no/id is used to trace the DB entry directly and it's dependencies. Hence both will be useful to be displayed though a tad confusing.

Post's attachments

Unq_RefNum.png 92.6 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.