Topic: Release 2.1 - Recurrent Invoices. How to?

Recurrent Invoices

There are two ways of using recurrent invoices. You can either select a group or single customer/branches.

If you are going to use groups, start by creating the groups you want to later put on the branches, Fi. Large, Medium and Small

Go into the branches. If you want any of a custumers branch to belong to a group, mark it and update the branch.

Definition.

You are now ready to make some recurrent invoice definitions, by clicking the 'Recurrent Invoices' in the Sales tab, Maintenance section.

The recurrent invoices uses the Template Orders, that are shown under Template Delivery/Template Invoice.

First enter a Discription of the item. Select the appropriate template. If this should be adressed to a single customer/branch, select a customer and a branch.
If it should be based on a group, set the customer to an empty value and select the group you want to send the recurrent invoices to.

Now it is time to consider the interval of the recurrency. If you select days and set the monthly value to 0, it will be due after every days interval.
If you select a monthly value, it will be sent on a monthly base and if you select a days value it will be due on that day in the month. A value of -1 would be the last day in the previous month. A monthly value of 3 indicated a due every quarter of a year and 12 every year and so on.

The begin date is the date to start the recurrency and end date is the close date of the recurrency.

Create and print the recurrent invoices.

Before creating recurring invoices, check that the price factor in company setup is set. Also check that a sales prices are set in the item sales prices. It must not be zero. If you have foreign customers the price is automatically calculated.
Go to 'Create and Print Recurring Invoices'. The due items are marked and a link 'Create invoices' are there.
Pressing this link creates all the invoices belonging to this group or single customer/branch.
An info line tells you how many invoice-numbers that are created.
There is also a link to Print the Invoices.

That's it. Happy Recurrent Invoicing.

PS. If you need more groups on a customer, create new branches with this different group. Maybe call the branch something similar as the group to easily find it.

Re: Release 2.1 - Recurrent Invoices. How to?

joe wrote:

Recurrent Invoices

If you select a monthly value, it will be sent on a monthly base and if you select a days value it will be due on that day in the month.

I'm figuring out the recurrent invoices, with its options etc.
So I tried to put month on 1 and day on 27 (today it's the 26th) and I was expecting that no invoice ready to print showed up till tomorrow.
But it does show up immediately and doesn't wait till tomorrow as i expected...

I will have a look at this asap.

/Joe

Is a sales group required?  I have created several recurrent invoices without sales groups, just as individuals, and the link to create the invoices never appears, the text at the bottom of the window always states that No recurrent invoices are due.

5 (edited by roller24 08/24/2012 10:32:07 pm)

Hey Joe, Im setting up a 70 unit rental property company.
For each tenant I set a customer account
For each Unit/Apt I set up an inventory item as a charge / service
I didnot fix a price to the item.
I created a manual invoice for each customerw/ 1corresponding unit/apt item and set the price.
I marked each of the invoices as a template. (all rents are varied amounts)
I have one branch and one group and the group is hooked to that branch.

I go to the recurring invoice, and I would like to send the group their invoices.
Will each customer/unit invoice template be correct in the price column, because it appears that only one template can be assigned to the group.???
Perhaps I will need to do each customer and not the group?

Well, frankly speaking I can't recall. I am not in office at the moment. Please have a try on the Training Co and see what happens.

/Joe

I'm trying to set up recurrent invoices.  Can recurrent invoices be set up for differing amounts for each customer in a group?  Example - school fees are recurrent billings but not each invoice will be the same as some families have one child, other have 3 etc.

Yes, I guess so. Try it out on the Training Co. If you need to test, you can set the frequencies to 0 in both columns.

Joe

Thanks for reply.
Can't get it to work as system uses the same template for each customer in group.
So each customer in group ends up with same product / qty ... however can't see how to sell different product or diff qty of product to each customer in group.

Hi

Is it possible to have an edit option on the page where you can Print and or email the recurring invoice after it was created?

Sometimes the dates printed on the Invoice refers to the previous period instead of the new 12 month period (for today plus 12 months).

I now have to go to Customer Transaction Inquiry to fix the period of the recurring invoice.

I have issued the first invoice, 1 /6/2013. The next invoice would be due again on 1/6/2104. In setting up the repeating invoice I have set the start date as 1/6/2013 and then set 12 months in the month column.
It shows up in the Create and Print recurrent Invoices, but when I create the invoice and print it it reads: Invoice covers period 01/06/2013 to 31/05/2014 instead of 01/06/2014 to 31/05/2015.

Some advice here would be appreciated.

Wynand

This needs to be addressed in the core!

12 (edited by faariwasi 11/16/2014 07:00:30 pm)

The cash invoicing has changed in release 2.1. From 2.1 you simply select cash invoicing in the selector Cash / Delayed in Direct Invoice .

13 (edited by geoffreywalton 12/12/2014 09:32:51 pm)

Hi

I have imported my customers.   (edit made here)

I have set up 2 Sales Order Quotations.

Sales Order Inquiry has the following sql

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT sorder.order_no,
                    sorder.debtor_no,
                    sorder.branch_code,
                    sorder.customer_ref,
                    sorder.ord_date,
                    sorder.deliver_to) FROM 0_sales_orders as sorder, 0_sales_order_details as line, 0_debtors_master as debtor, 0_cust_branch as branch
          WHERE (sorder.order_no = line.order_no
            AND sorder.trans_type = line.trans_type
            AND sorder.trans_type = '32'
            AND sorder.debtor_no = debtor.debtor_no
            AND sorder.branch_code = branch.branch_code
            AND debtor.debtor_no = branch.debtor_no AND sorder.ord_date >= '2014-11-12' AND sorder.ord_date <= '2014-12-13' AND sorder.delivery_date >= '2014-12-12' AND line.qty_sent=0)

It is filtering on delivery_date and as this date can not be set as a filter no quotes are displayed.

Is there a fix for this?

Cheers

G

Is it because delivery date is hardcoded as yesterday, current or future date and was considered not necessary to be editable?

Can I suggest the test on delivery date is removed from the sql so the date selectors will work.

AND sorder.delivery_date >= '2014-12-12'

Cheers

G

seahawk wrote:

Hi

I have issued the first invoice, 1 /6/2013. The next invoice would be due again on 1/6/2104. In setting up the repeating invoice I have set the start date as 1/6/2013 and then set 12 months in the month column.
It shows up in the Create and Print recurrent Invoices, but when I create the invoice and print it it reads: Invoice covers period 01/06/2013 to 31/05/2014 instead of 01/06/2014 to 31/05/2015.

Some advice here would be appreciated.

This problem still does not seem to be resolved. I still have to create repeating invoices and then go back to modify tax invoice to set the payment period for the following year in advance. It seems that the system does payments in arrears.

Another problem is that the customer reference is wrong. It uses a different customers reference. There is no place on the modify invoice where one can correct the reference from the customer.

Any dimensions is also not transferred to the new invoice. You have to correct every invoice to the correct dimensions.

Any solution to these issues?

Regards

Wynand

17 (edited by bailey86 06/08/2015 08:31:51 am)

OK.

Recurring invoices.  Breath deep, breath deep...

They are set up to generate regular invoices - and these can be every certain number of days - or every certain number of months.

The 'Last Created' date is the key one here - badly named probably - it should be 'first day of next period to be charged'.  It sets the date for the beginning of the 'period' being charged for.

When opening the recurring invoice page is opened FA looks through the recurring transactions - and looks at the Last Created date.  It then adds the number of months or days to the Last Created date.  If the current (today's date) is greater than what has been calculated then the system says - 'ha!  I have to create an invoice'.

An invoice is then created (by clicking the button) with the current (today's) date as the invoice date - the 'Recurrent invoice covers period' set to show the period  from the Last created date - it then adds the period months/days to the Last created date - and then outputs that date minus one day.

This is so that if you have 1st Feb - and it's a monthly transaction - the end date of the covered period is not 1st March - but 28th (or 29th possibly) of Feb.  The Last Created date gets reset to the Last date plus the period - i.e. 1st March - and this makes sense again because it is the first day of the next period to be charged.

OK - so pretty much FA is set up to always generate invoices in arrears. 

We need to charge in advance - and this is the only simple/easy way I've seen how to do this.

In create_recurrent_invoices.php there is a line which has:

$doc->Comments .= sprintf(_("Recurrent Invoice covers period %s - %s."), $from, add_days($to, -1));

In our install this is changed to:

$doc->Comments .= sprintf(_("\nRecurrent Invoice covers period from %s."), $to);

and this indicates that the period is being charged in advance.

I'm sure there must be a more comprehensive way to do this - but it may get messy as recurring invoices would need to be set up to indicate whether they are in arrears or in advance.  It may be a global setting might be the way forward.

BTW - there are two buggy looking bit I saw.

1.  If you fill in both days and months when setting up the recurrng transaction they will both be added to the Last date - all looks odd.

2. In the notes/wiki it says about setting days to -1 to get last day of previous month - I don't see this working at all.

HTH

So - recurring invoices in advance.  How's this for a plan.

A tick box is added so that a recurring invoice is marked as being in advance.  Then, in create_recurrent_invoices.php the message which is added to the comments depends on whether the tick box has been ticked or not.  In arrears should show:

$doc->Comments .= sprintf(_("Recurrent Invoice covers period %s - %s."), $from, add_days($to, -1));

in advance should show:

$doc->Comments .= sprintf(_("Recurrent Invoice covers period from %s."), $to);

with hopefully the end date of the period being worked out as well.

Cheers,

Kevin

I have tried the following to get advanced payments to work, and the system seems to accept it, but I would like to know if there are any unwanted implications:

I setup the recurrent invoice as normal, put 12 in the months field, but put -365 in the days field.  The system then offers to produce invoices for the future year.  However, I suspect the invoices would be dated on the day generated, which according to accounting principles, should be just fine.

Any suggestions?

I follow the wiki guide but I cant get it work. Today date is 24, i put day=24 and month=1. But in Create and Print Recurrent Invoices didn't show anything. Can provide more example parameters? It doesn't need to use cron right? Some button will be show in Create and Print Recurrent Invoices page? I need a quick test. Please advise.

Debug mode database warning:
error code : 1054
error message : Unknown column '0_loc_stock.reorder_level' in 'where clause'
sql that failed was : select stock_master.description, SUM(IF(stock_moves.stock_id IS NULL,0,stock_moves.qty)) AS QtyOnHand ,loc_stock.reorder_level FROM (stock_master, stock_category,loc_stock) LEFT JOIN stock_moves ON (stock_master.stock_id=stock_moves.stock_id) WHERE stock_master.category_id=stock_category.category_id AND stock_master.stock_id=loc_stock.stock_id AND (stock_master.mb_flag='B' OR stock_master.mb_flag='M') AND 0_loc_stock.reorder_level!=0 GROUP BY stock_master.category_id, stock_category.description, stock_master.stock_id, stock_master.description ORDER BY QtyOnHand DESC

C:\xampp53670\htdocs\frontaccounting\sales\includes\db\cust_trans_db.inc:213:     display_backtrace()
C:\xampp53670\htdocs\frontaccounting\sales\includes\sales_db.inc:233:     get_customer_trans('4','13')
C:\xampp53670\htdocs\frontaccounting\sales\includes\cart_class.inc:220:     read_sales_trans('13',(Array[1]),(Cart Object))
C:\xampp53670\htdocs\frontaccounting\sales\includes\cart_class.inc:308:     (Cart Object)->read('13','4','1')
C:\xampp53670\htdocs\frontaccounting\sales\create_recurrent_invoices.php:59:     (Cart Object)->write('1')
C:\xampp53670\htdocs\frontaccounting\sales\create_recurrent_invoices.php:125:     create_recurrent_invoices('4','4','1','2','02-08-2018','01-07-2018','02-07-2018','Recurrent Invoice covers period 01-08-2018 - 31-08-2018.')
DATABASE ERROR : duplicate debtor transactions found for given params
sql that failed was : SELECT trans.*,ov_amount+ov_gst+ov_freight+ov_freight_tax+ov_discount AS Total,cust.name AS DebtorName, cust.address, cust.curr_code, cust.tax_id, trans.prep_amount>0 as prepaid,com.memo_, shippers.shipper_name, sales_types.sales_type, sales_types.tax_included, branch.*, cust.discount, tax_groups.name AS tax_group_name, tax_groups.id AS tax_group_id FROM debtor_trans trans LEFT JOIN comments com ON trans.type=com.type AND trans.trans_no=com.id LEFT JOIN shippers ON shippers.shipper_id=trans.ship_via, debtors_master cust, sales_types, cust_branch branch, tax_groups WHERE trans.trans_no='4' AND trans.type='13' AND trans.debtor_no=cust.debtor_no AND sales_types.id = trans.tpe AND branch.branch_code = trans.branch_code AND branch.tax_group_id = tax_groups.id

No luck to get it work. debtor_trans table is empty. i wondering why duplicate debtor transactions found.

got it work after empty comments table.

I am struggling on 2.4.4 recurring invoice to email the invoice. It creates the invoice and print the invoice correctly, but when I click email invoice, nothing happens. I have to then go to invoices in reports  and select the invoice to email or I must edit the invoice and emal again.

Cannot figure out why the invoice is not emailing after the repeating invoices was created.

Wynand

Prerequisites to send invoice email are:

- System is running on a online server, not localhost.
- Customer's contact must have an correct email.

If the two conditions are satisfied and system has no problem then email would be sent

Phuong