Topic: How to print a check posted through GL module?

I use one checking account only. If I pay a supplier, the voucher gets printed and check number is the same as my checkbook. But if I issue a check to someone else who is not a supplier, and use the Payments option in GL, then I can not print the voucher nor keep the numerical sequence in order. I need to do this when I pay commissions and some salaries, for instance, and I need to allocate the expense among three cost centers. How can I use the next check number as Payment Number, and how can I print the voucher as in Purchases module? Thank you.

Re: How to print a check posted through GL module?

I guess we will have to wait for t2webby's comments on this. He wrote the Check Printing module. If you have his email adress inside the readme.txt file in the check_print folder, you can ask him directly.

/Joe

So you are using Bank Account Payment Entry instead of Supplier Payment from my understanding? And you want to be able to able to issue a cheque to this GL payment as well?

If this is the case, after looking at how it was implemented initially. Cheque printing only works for Supplier Payments only since it requires supplier information about the payment transaction, such as the invoice, allocation, etc. The best work around right now would be to do any cheque issuing through the supplier payment. That's how we resolve most of our cases.  For comissions for instance you would create the sales rep's as the supplier , create an invoice, and pay his commisions, same with salaries, have employees name as the supplier, etc. It'll probably be better for tracking as well no?

But I guess we should also add the ability to print from a misc "to order" bank payment as well for cases like this?

What do you think joe?

Well, frankly speaking, I don't know. Maybe the Check Print Utility could be extended to do this. Unfortunately I am extremely busy at present with the 2.1.3 release.

/Joe
BTW. Thanks for the tip about using the supplier for sales rep's and salaries to employees.

That tip I had already considered. But in my case, for instance, it might seem impractical. Picture petty cash reimbursements, for instance, which are done by check, plus many other situations all financial officers in the forum are aware of, and which should not be handled through accounts payables. What I'm doing right now, since I need to be able to print the voucher at least, and write the check by hand, is view the journal entry  and print it via browser, and staple it to the check. Thank you.