Topic: P&L Reports aren't filtering dimensions

Hello,

I have set up dimensions and entered journal entries and specified dimensions for them, but when I go to generate a P&L report and want a dimension filter, it doesn't do it.  Am I missing something? 

Thanks,
Courtney

Re: P&L Reports aren't filtering dimensions

This should not be a problem.
Did you enter the correct period? Did you enter the dimension on a line with an income/costs type account?
Something must have been done wrong.

/Joe

When I pull up the General Ledger Account Transactions report it shows all the transactions for the period I am selecting.  The report also shows the income and expense transactions and their associated dimensions.  So, the GL report shows all the details I want and shows that I entered the dimensions in correctly.  However, when I pull up the P&L report for the same period as the GL report and select the appropriate dimension, it does not filter by the dimension.  On the top of the report it doesn't even note that it was filtered by a dimension.  I noticed that when I log into the Demo, it shows at the top of the report that it is filtered by the particular dimension.  Are there any other things I could be doing wrong that would explain this problem?

Thanks for your help!

~Courtney

It seems to me that something is out of sync. Please set the $go_debug flag in fonfig.php to 1. You will not see the report with this debug flag, but the internal PDF code. But eventually eooros or warnings will show up on the page.

/Joe

We set that flag and generating the report gives the same information.  Where should we look for more information?

Thanks,
Courtney

When trying at the demo site, did you get the desired result?
There must be something here that is out of sync. Eventually try a new installation with a fresh downloaded setup installation from 2.1.2.

/Joe

Yes, when trying the demo site it works like I would like ours to work.  Our systems department is going to try the new installation.  We have 2.1.1, so maybe that's the issue.  If we have any more problems after the new installation, I'll let you know.  Thanks so much for your help!

~Courtney

Hi Joe,

We found the problem!  And I think that we may have found a bug in FrontAccounting in the process.  Note: I'm a system administrator here at DiscipleMakers who has been supporting Courtney's work in evaluating FrontAccounting.

The problem we found is that reports would not filter by Dimension unless the dimension's Reference field was set to a number.  And in particular a number that matches a dimension's ID in the underlying database.  So I think that either:

- the report generation system has a bug in that it mixes up the ID and the Reference when filtering on Dimensions

or

- there's a bug on creating dimensions in that the program doesn't indicate an error if you enter an alphabetic Reference or a numerical Reference which is out of sequence.

Does that make sense?

Let me explain a little more about what we'd like to do with FrontAccounting & dimensions.  We would like to use the Dimensions to represent people as if each person was a department in our company.  So it seemed natural to use the Reference field to represent their name.  So the Reference for Joe Smith's dimension would be "SmithJ".  FrontAccounting allows us to enter in a dimension Reference like that without a number and displays it properly in the list of dimensions.  But obviously filtering on that reference isn't possible when the SQL query tries to find a dimension ID which matches "SmithJ".

So is FA supposed to support alphabetic dimension References?  Also, it would be great if it was possible to sort dimensions by the Reference or Name field wherever a list of them appears in the program or on a report.  Does that seem feasible or is it supposed to be supported?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and please let me know if there's any other information I can provide that would be helpful!

Jason

Thank you very much maasj. This was a bug in dimension selector generation. Main CVS has been fixed, affected file reports_classes.php.

Janusz

Hi Janusz,

Thanks so much for checking it out, verifying the problem, and fixing it so quickly!  I just backported your reports_classes.php patch to our 2.1.2 installation and it worked!  Good job!

Thank you,
Jason