Topic: Size limit on restoring backup

I have been running Frontaccounting in a small hotel for now around a year, and generally it performs well. As we use FA on a daily basis for invoicing customers, we maintain an updated working version on another PC, which we update daily, so it can be swapped in quickly in case of a major breakdown (which we happily haven't experienced yet). We simply make a back-up and then transfer the .sql file to the another PC and make a "restore". However, this does not work any more. The "restore" is actually performed with no error messages, but nothing changes. After trying a bit around with no succes, I used instead the "import" facility in phpmyadmin and got the error message that the file was too big.  The options were either to change php.config or to try to compress the back-up file. I then zipped the .sql file (which reduced it from 8.8 MB to 1 MB) and repreated the "import" and that worked.
Isn't there a better way to do this, e.g. let FA itself do the zipping? Or should I change the php.config file inFA?

Re: Size limit on restoring backup

When you download the backup, you can choose to use gzip or zip compression and then download it.

I can't see any option to zip the back-up archive under "create backup". It simply creates a *.sql file. If I zip it afterwards, FA will not import it, but I can import it with phpmyadmin.

Another solution, I have found, is to go into the php.ini file and change the size limites.  In my installation (Linux Mint 12) you write:

sudo gedit /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini

Then find the line:

post_max_size = 2M

and change that to e.g. 20M

and then the line:

upload_max_filesize =2M

and change that to e.g. 20M

It may be necessary also to change the line

max_file_uploads=20

to a higher number, but I haven't done that.:)

You have an option 'Compression' in Backup and Restore screen, which set to yes will result in zipping the backup file.
Beside presented settings you should also check current  'max_execution_time' value.
Janusz

We had a server failure, with loss of data and of the recent backups on the server. There is a downloaded backup available, but FA will not upload, probably caused by the size limit (8.41MB). It is unzipped. When uploaded into the right directory, FA does not see it, so we cannot restore. even after zipping the backup the result is the same. Any ideas?
Apart from these relatively minor problems, FA is definitely the best accounting system I have come across.

i have tried manually create empty file and rename it into empty.sql.zip and empty.sql.gz.
FA (my version is 2.3.19) reads it normally and showed in backup list.

is renaming your file with *.sql.gz or *.sql.zip after gzip or zipping it solve your problem?

Have same problem. It indicates that "You can only upload *.sql backup files"

Wynand

seahawk wrote:

Have same problem. It indicates that "You can only upload *.sql backup files"

Hi,
from the source code (file admin/backups.php line 165), that error is shown if you didn't upload file with extension *.sql or *.sql.zip or *.sql.gz.

check if:
- your file is uploaded in server (can you see your file in folder /company/[your-company-number]/backup) ?
- file permission issue (is the uploaded file readable? folder writable?)
- character encoding issue (try to use simple characters for the filename)

hope this helps.

FTP the sql file to the company/#/backups folder and then do a restore.

Thanks.

Wynand

As the backup files go on growing, I am again running into the problem that I can't restore the backup in Frontaccounting. My backup files are 4.5 (gzip) and 4.8 MB (zip) respectively. I have tried to adjust further upwards the limits in the php.ini file, but to no avail. If I go into phpmyadmin, and import the backup file to the database, it works OK. But it is a bit akward to do it that way. Any suggestions?

Increase the script max execution timeout as well in the php.ini apart from the max POST size and max upload size values and restart the webserver.

Forgot to say that I had already increased "max_execution_time =" from 30 to 600. Still not working. Any other suggestion?

Did you try to restore a backup that already exists on the FA server or attempted to upload one thru' the FA web interface? It could be a Apache limit - check the httpd.conf files.

I have no problem uploading it to the server. When I then make the restore command FA asks if I really want to proceed and it starts the restoring but stops after around 5 seconds without doing anything and with no error message.