Topic: Sales delivery GL posting

Good day,
We frequently sell items before we receive them, and I've just noticed that there is no GL entry posted for the delivery on these sales, so this is causing the Balance Sheet Inventory Assets to drift very far from the Inventory Valuation Report.
In the company setup, the check box for Allow Negative Inventory has the Warning: This may cause a delay in GL postings. As far as I can tell, there is not just a delay--it never happens. When is it supposed to post the GL entries? Or where in the code do deliveries of back-ordered items get posted?

Thank you,
Joshua

Re: Sales delivery GL posting

When you make invoice the entry will be available on GL

Subscription service based on FA
HRM CRM POS batch Themes

I don't understand. What invoice? Customer or Supplier?
On sales where I already have the inventory in stock, the customer delivery GL is posted as it should be. But on sales where I receive the inventory after the sale, the customer sales invoice GL entry is posted, as is the supplier delivery when I receive the inventory, but the customer sales delivery is not posted as a GL entry, so my inventory GL account (Finished Goods) is hugely bloated compared to the Inventory Valuation Report (which looks much closer to what we actually have on hand).

Thank you,
Joshua

Is anyone else having this issue? I have not been able to track down where in the code this kind of gl entry is being blocked. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Joshua

It is possible that negative entry flag is enabled in your install (config.php). After receiving stock from your supplier, you may have to check your stocks inventory position and make adjustments as needed. How did you make the delivery to the customer if you had no stock in the first place and how did the invoice get generated?

Apmuthu, thank you for your response. The only flag I see related to negative anything in the config.php is $allow_negative_prices, which looks like it only relates to service items. It is set to 1.
Would you please explain what you mean by inventory position? Where is this and what kind of adjustments do you mean?
I process customer sales through a direct sales order, like the direct invoice on the supplier side, which generates the delivery and accepts payment all in one step. This works perfectly for all sales except those mentioned above.
I have looked through cart_class.inc and sales_delivery_db.php, but I don't see where these transactions are getting held up. Thoughts?

-Joshua

Another use case (related to your question about selling inventory before receiving it) that happens frequently is physically getting the inventory in the store and selling it before it gets checked-in and invoiced. The customer pays for and walks out the door with the product, but the system doesn't record it properly in the gl.

Anyone?

Thank you,
Joshua

Allow Negative Inventory is a setting in the sys_prefs table that is set in Setup => System and General GL Setup screen.

Post's attachments

2015-11-26_224343.png 17.2 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thank you, Apmuthu. Allow Negative Inventory is checked. This has allowed me to sell before receiving. That part is not the problem. As I have mentioned, the problem is that in this kind of negative inventory sale, the sales delivery gl posting does not get entered. This is the part I'm stuck on. Why doesn't this gl entry get posted?