Topic: Didn't know where to post this, Comments and Questions FA

Hi There,
Been running in demo mode for a few days and have questions.
       1. why is the customer phone numbers not inputed when inputing a new customer, seems awkward to have to go to another page to complete the input.
      2. Same thing with items, you enter the item then go back to enter the price.
       3. definatly Check Writing.

I am in the us and have used Quick books for many years for basic accounting.
I run a service company and keep all service calls in a db I built 20 years ago in db3 which I updated with Alpha4. I now wont to move to SQL and think your program will be well suited with a few minor changes, I figure by Feb 08 I will have the design changes.

My 20 years of business is in tables of a much different structure, I have all the customer info in one table, all the items in another etc.

With my limited knowledge of SQL and PHP I hope to build a killer app, using FA the the basis. I will be happy to make any modules I design available for all to use.

One of the first changes I will write is to send you too the secondary page upon entering a new item or customer. (I have to do this for my employees) dont wont carpnel tunnel from clicking too much!

I would really like to know the reasoning for the split tables

Thanks, Very Good Interface and setup!

Re: Didn't know where to post this, Comments and Questions FA

Hello,
Thanks for your contribution. I will answer your questions by referring to your list numbers.
1. The phone numbers etc, are not belonging to the customer, but to a branch (branches). The reason to have this separated is that it might be a one to many relationship. In database technology it is called normalization. A company can have one or many branch addresses for deliveries.
2. The same thing regarding the Items. We can have prices for retail, wholesale, and for various currencies. Again this is a one to many relationship.
3. The check writing has not been implemented yet. You can use the ACH transferring in the US.

If you want to build another application based on FA, you are welcome to do so.
We will not change the kind of infrastructure we have built, because it is our experience that this is the right way of doing it.

Kind regards

Joe

Re: Didn't know where to post this, Comments and Questions FA

Thanks Joe,

As you can tell it has been a long time since I developed my program and it was the norm to build it the way I did. The Branch part makes much more sense, I do have many customers with several branches and have had to input them seperatly with different id codes, this did create some confusion sometime with users inputting the wrong location. I am an old dog trying to learn new tricks, didn't want to migrate but now I can see all the advantages.

No big deal splitting my data and importing it into mysql leaving the table setup intact.

Thanks again for your reply.

Bob