Topic: Emailing invoices

I have FA 1.16 and when I try to sent invoices by email the report genenerator  comes back and sez  ...... email NOT sent

I have looked all over the place for a SMTP setting  Please help

Re: Emailing invoices

I guess you need to set an email address in the branch. There was a problem in 1.16 only having an email on the customer. Also make sure there is a sender email in the Company Setup.
You do not need to set any SMTP setting. FA uses PHP internal mail function.

/Joe

3 (edited by Attila 09/21/2008 06:31:32 am)

Joe,

The email address are in both company and branch for all the customers.

In the customer branch maintanance page the email fileld is a maito: link which brings up a new email window does not automaticaly insert the ajacent email

this is what I get when emailing an invoice

To: African Spirit Trading 14 Pty Ltd (aterren@ast14.co.za)
Subject: Invoice no. 5022
Msg: Dear Sirs,

Attached you will find Invoice no. 5022

Kindest regards

Attila Barath
Comodex Int.

Filepath: ./pdf_files/Invoice5022.pdf
Filename: Invoice5022.pdf

INVOICE 5022 NOT sent to African Spirit Trading 14 Pty Ltd - aterren@ast14.co.za

I cant see anything wrong 

/attila

There seem to be valid email addresses in both sender and receiver. I cannot say what the problem is. Some hosts need the sender email be part of the website. Otherwise I can see no problem. Normally this works right out of the box. Maybe there are others who can help here?

/Joe

Joe

I have disabled my virus protection and the  same condition prevailes.....

Guys,

I can't email documents from FA 2.1.0 , same problem as with FA 1.16 is anyone else having the same problem ?

what SMTP server is the system is using  ?

Attila

Hello Attila,
You have found a bug in document mailing. I will check the code and fix CVS ASAP. If you are in a hurry, as simple, but not complete solution please add '/' at beginning of relative path in line 422 of pdf_report.inc.

Janusz

Thanks Janusz,

I will wait for the permenant fix,

Looking through the smtp.php file I see a lot of refrence to "localhost" as a mail server. Should I be running a Smtp server on th host as well  ?

Me AGAIN on emailing Invoices/Credit notes directly from the system.

Guys please read the last post I made on this subject, you left me dangling in space.

Error : Sending document by email failed

This was my previous question:  are we supposed to be running our own SMTP server.  ?

regards

Attila

Last edited by Attila (Yesterday 04:44:42 am)

After the fix mailing invoices works right.  To use it you should have sendmail (or compatible) installed on your FA server. See php.net mail() function manual. Google is also your friend.
Janusz

Thanks Januzs,

This makes sense, I am using XAMPP so now I will enable Mercury mail.

Dont tell me google is my friend .... read the message below of the 1st of April and see where the breakdown in comms came in 

Im afraid its YOU kind Sir

Take care

Attila

I think he was referring to using Google to find articles on how to get sendmail working with php.

FA calls the PHP functions to send mail and they will work only if your php and system (sendmail, etc) are set up properly.

tom

tom wrote:

I think he was referring to using Google to find articles on how to get sendmail working with php.

Exactly. I do my best to fix all bugs found ASAP, but I'm not responsible for configuration of FA user's site.

Attila wrote:

Im afraid its YOU kind Sir

I have fixed the problem, I have pushed the solution to CVS and I have explained how to fix it manually. The fix was made available also with latest FA release. What could I do more to satisfy you Sir?

Janusz

Gents,

I was have some fun .... no harm intended ...

Ok, no problem. That was long, weary day for me, so take it easy wink.
Janusz

Sorry to jump in here (after searching), but it seems very related...

I have this error:

mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 553 5.1.3 syntax error; address contains 8bit characters: Ville d&#039;Amos  <mireille.xxxxx@ville.amos.qc.ca > in file: C:\Data\SitesWeb\rimqfa\reporting\includes\class.mail.inc at line 138
Sending document by email failed

I'm using 2.2.8

What is the fix ?

Thanks

This can be related to charset selection in ma class. In 2.2.x the charset was set always to ISO-8859-1. In FA 2.3 it was fixed. You can try change the charset to the one you use about line 58 and 65 of /reporting/includes/class.mail.inc.
Janusz

Sorry Januzs,

But I don't understand what I'm supposed to do,

Could you be more explicit ?

Thanks

Gaston

19 (edited by thhui 06/08/2010 01:37:03 am)

If you are using windows XAMPP, the php Mail function might not allow you to send mail by SMTP.
It depends on what your ISP setting on SMTP is.

If it use SMTP Authentication, php Mail might not work.

Sorry, there was a typo in my post.
You can change charset declarations in lines 58 and 65 of /reporting/includes/class.mail.inc to the encoding you are actually using in your system.
Janusz

Janusz,

I'm a little bit embarrassed to ask, and sorry if it is obvious for you, but how do I know the charset I use ?

Gaston

I guess you have installed some translation package for FA (french?). The charset (encoding) should be noiced in documentation to the package, or you can read it form *.po file's header. If you do not use any translation package,
Janusz

seems correct (from .po file)
"Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1\n"
"Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\n"
"X-Poedit-Language: French\n"
"X-Poedit-Country: FRANCE\n"
"X-Poedit-SourceCharset: iso-8859-1\n"

Gaston

24 (edited by thhui 07/21/2010 02:32:48 pm)

Test your smtp server Mail funcion firstly.

upload this test_email.php to your server site and open it

<?php
$to = "someone@example.com";   //change to your own email address to test whether you can receive mail from your php.ini setting
$subject = "Test mail";
$message = "Hello! This is a simple email message.";
$from = "someonelse@example.com";
$headers = "From: $from";
mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);
echo "Mail Sent.";
?>

and then see whether you can receive email or not.

This is really a test for proper email function in your php hosting setting.

It should be noted, from personal experience, if sendmail (or sendmail friendly equivalent like postfix) is installed but is not running (or perhaps not running properly) php may not complain that there has been an error. The mail will be successfully sent with the sendmail program but is either queued or lost so you won't ever receive the email.