Topic: Backup not done

Hello Joe,

Thanks for your continued support.

I tried to backup my database for version 2.2.24 and it did not backup. It will initialize backup and after a while it will stop without any indication of backup complete message.

I later discovered the database is big about 245MB. how do I correct and get my backup done.

thanks.

popsicles12

Re: Backup not done

Try  to optimise your database like from within phpMyAdmin.
Also check which tables are having huge number of records and/or are occupying huge space and delete records that are useless like SQL audit trails.
See if the database has some other tables not related to FA but having the same table prefix as the FA instance.

Thanks apmuthu for your reply.

I had to delete my SQL audit trail using phpmyadmin and still I cannot back up. what do you advice that I do to even know what is causing the problem and solving it.

Thanks.

Popsicles12

4 (edited by tm 07/20/2015 02:09:20 pm)

I had a similar problem once, but then that was on a ridiculously slow server. Back then I suspected that the backup queries were quite inefficient, but it made more sense to move to decent hardware than messing with the SQL. And the backups have worked ever since.

Perhaps someone with a better understanding of SQL and the FA database tables can shed some light on the issue, but until then you could always do a database dump from phpmyadmin (or the command line). It wouldn't (shouldn't!) be an option for regular users, and you'd have to restore the data using the same method. But you would have a backup, and that sure beats not having one.

Try to take a backup from SQLyog and analyse the dump to see where the time hog is.

Thanks for the reply.

The System I am using is a Core2 Duo CPU with 500GB Hard Drive and a 3GB RAM. I have about 6 users on it. So I do not think that is the cause of it. Is there any configuration in php.ini that I need to change so that this backup goes on. Cause I discovered that when I start backing up, it will continue until i stops by itself. sometime it show the error mark and sometime it does not.  What other options do I need to exploit.

thanks.

Popsicles12

Enable MySQL logging and see if anything turns up.
If an external DB Dump from phpMyAdmin is available then it can be analysed for any non escaped characters and / or data size issues.